• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I don't enjoy Shakespeare

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
No singular historical figure has a monopoly
on understanding the human condition.

That's not true. If you'd would bother to check the Hall of records you would see that Shakespeare actually has a patent on understanding the human condition.

That's why all other authors since have had to pay a nickel to his estate anytime they want to speculate on what makes humans act the way they do.

Those who love & vaunt Shakespeare are
free to do so.

Unless they want to try and imitate him, in which case they owe him a nickel.
But it's not worthwhile to
impose it upon the uninterested.

It's completely worthwhile. Especially if it ends with my being able to roll my eyes, shake my head condescendingly, and walk away mutterring, ''tcch! proletariat!'' under my breath.

Life really doesn't get any better than that.
There is
other greater literature to read, & without all
that tedious slogging.

There really isn't. All other literature is just a collection of sneaky Shakespeare paraphrases.

For that matter, most road signs are too.

libre

Skylark
I hate people who think their cultural tastes make them superior to others and I think there is a lot of that going on in the Shakespeare fandom and that many people only say they like it to sound more cultured
Eh, snobs exist but I'd caution against presuming such of all who like Shakespeare.

This 'Shakespeare fandom' may very well be one of the largest 'fandoms' in literature. I haven't read or watched his work performed in many years, but people read him across the globe - he's even had a tiny renaissance in China.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
When word salads matter, call in the smiths. I like the style of Shakespeare. The man has a way of creating a flavorful word salad. Boring? Yeah .... How you figure boring an adequate term for the lack of interest? Dull? Boring? Tasteless? Bland? Undynamic? Placid? Stagnate? Calm? I'm just saying ...

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Act 2 scene 2

Romeo and Juliet

Very dynamic language - It may be somewhat difficult given its dynamic range. At one time I would have read this, and it would have held my attention up to the vestal livery part, then I would have put it down. Now I read it and I'm like "wow"! The difference is as I continue learning how to read, literature written with these types of dynamics take on an entirely new form in my mind.

But, soft! what light through yonder window breaks?
It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.
Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,
Who is already sick and pale with grief,
That thou her maid art far more fair than she:
Be not her maid, since she is envious;
Her vestal livery is but sick and green
And none but fools do wear it; cast it off.
It is my lady, O, it is my love!
O, that she knew she were!
She speaks yet she says nothing: what of that?
Her eye discourses; I will answer it.
I am too bold, ’tis not to me she speaks:
Two of the fairest stars in all the heaven,
Having some business, do entreat her eyes
To twinkle in their spheres till they return.
What if her eyes were there, they in her head?
The brightness of her cheek would shame those stars,
As daylight doth a lamp; her eyes in heaven
Would through the airy region stream so bright
That birds would sing and think it were not night.
See, how she leans her cheek upon her hand!
O, that I were a glove upon that hand,
That I might touch that cheek!

Last edited:

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
I don't enjoy any of Shakespeare's works

They bore me

Maybe I would like it more if was in the latest most up-to-date version of English

Why do people like his stuff so much?

I think a big factor is that we are told from an early age that it is totally ace

I hate people who think their cultural tastes make them superior to others and I think there is a lot of that going on in the Shakespeare fandom and that many people only say they like it to sound more cultured

There is an enormous pressure on people to like it and I resent that

I started a thread inspired by this one. I'm curious how you might respond. In light of your view of his work, I think you have an idea of how you might modernize the language...how you would like to see similar scenes written out. The I don't like Shakespeare inspired thread

It may be fun to watch how it all plays out, if enough people get involved. If you want to contribute, feel free to. If not, it should still be fun watching it unfold.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's not true. If you'd would bother to check the Hall of records you would see that Shakespeare actually has a patent on understanding the human condition.
Strong the faith is.
That's why all other authors since have had to pay a nickel to his estate anytime they want to speculate on what makes humans act the way they do.
Inflation.
It used to be a penny.
Unless they want to try and imitate him, in which case they owe him a nickel.

It's completely worthwhile. Especially if it ends with my being able to roll my eyes, shake my head condescendingly, and walk away mutterring, ''tcch! proletariat!'' under my breath.

Life really doesn't get any better than that.

There really isn't. All other literature is just a collection of sneaky Shakespeare paraphrases.

For that matter, most road signs are too.
Shakespeare can't even shine Kurt Vonnegut's shoes.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Shakespeare isn't for everyone.

I find his works interesting simply because they point to the origins of some modern English phrases.