• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am sceptical of the Skeptics. Is it wrong?

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
And who says that blind chance is the explanation for the world around us? The formation of our solar system wasn't blind chance--there are an unfathomable number of different solar systems and galaxies so it would be bizarre if a solar system such as ours did not show up at least a few times.

This was the general school of thought 100 years ago under classical physics, that if you have enough stuff and simple 'immutable' laws of physics, you'll get something like our solar system eventually. And similarly these 'immutable' laws were claimed to make God redundant.

We now know that the entire universe would collapse under classical physics, without a vast array of very specific underlying instructions determining things like the formation of the great fusion reactors of stars, producing elements specific for life.

A coincidence that Max Planck was a skeptic of atheism?

Furthermore evolution isn't random--its based on natural selection which is the opposite of random.

natural selection.. of what? how did so many significant design improvements spontaneously materialize to be selected?
by RANDOM mutation according to evolution.

Furthermore if the multiverse is true then the same solar system probability argument applies to universes.

that's a big IF, I agree with Krauss on Hawking 'If your theory relies on an invisible infinite probability machine, it's not entirely clear you even have a theory'

The flaw with theists is that they always think in terms of a false dilemma--either God or random chance. There are probably a huge number of possibilities that exist between God and just random chance. Statistics has some randomness but often times it produces very predictable results. And even if it is just random chance, then rejecting it because its random is foolish and senseless. My choice to reply to you specifically was caused by a number of random factors including the fact that i randomly woke up, didn't make any coffee, and stayed inside because its too cold right now. Why is random somehow unbelievable?

If a gambler is dealt 10 royal flushes in a row, this is no less improbable than any particular sequence of 50 cards right?

So why suspect cheating?

i.e. it's not that chance is impossible, but that there are alternative and less improbable explanations, I'd argue

who knows maybe we were meant to talk to each other! but get some coffee!

use_your_brain

How do you know? We're you born into it?
I know my religion is true, this fact is backed by"
- holy book
- evidences
- the character of the prophet
- logical faith
- teaching narration records
- error less of holybook
- original religion without alteration
- the beauty of teaching

and so on the list goes on.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
- holy book
- evidences
- logical faith
- error less of holybook
- the beauty of teaching

But, adherents of pretty much every faith make these claims. How do you reconcile this with your belief that your religion is the "true religion"?

use_your_brain

But, adherents of pretty much every faith make these claims. How do you reconcile this with your belief that your religion is the "true religion"?

Pay attention and take a look some faiths, do their claims base on scriptural passages? Do they have evidence? are heir holibook original? and so on.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Pay attention and take a look some faiths, do their claims base on scriptural passages? Do they have evidence? are heir holibook original? and so on.
They would certainly say so. Whether I agree with them and/or you on these claims is another story, but they see their religion in the same way that you see yours. That is why I am curious to get a better understanding of your reasoning behind your beliefs about Islam being the "true religion". You haven't provided anything that differentiates Islam specifically from claims made about other faiths.

Jumi

- holy book
- evidences
- logical faith
- error less of holybook
- the beauty of teaching

This is close to what I was taught about the Bible and it's a common way to represent that book also, though not on this forum. Here more people like to discuss instead of just saying their opinion.

Why would it need a holy book to be a true religion? Holy books don't seem to communicate the same thing to everybody. There's good people reading them like Ahmadis and there's bad people like ISIS. Logical faith to you maybe, but not to most people on planet. Beauty of teaching is also in the eye the beholder.

Shad

Veteran Member
i.e. in this sense, our belief in God is a position founded on skepticism, sooner or later most become skeptical of the belief that blind chance is an adequate explanation for the world we see around us.

Once you are no longer skeptical of your strawman you can begin to address views and the mechanics of evolution.

Mackerni

Libertarian Unitarian
Like, you are skeptical of evolution, the big bang, no presumed afterlife? It takes a great deal of faith to be both religious or secular. If you are skeptic or the skeptics, and (presuming) you are skeptic of the believers, you must pave your own road to deal with the inadequacies you view in others. And, as others have pointed out, this can lead to solipsism.

use_your_brain

They would certainly say so. Whether I agree with them and/or you on these claims is another story, but they see their religion in the same way that you see yours. That is why I am curious to get a better understanding of your reasoning behind your beliefs about Islam being the "true religion". You haven't provided anything that differentiates Islam specifically from claims made about other faiths.
I re-ask, are they able to provide the source that backs their claims?

use_your_brain

This is close to what I was taught about the Bible and it's a common way to represent that book also, though not on this forum. Here more people like to discuss instead of just saying their opinion.

Why would it need a holy book to be a true religion? Holy books don't seem to communicate the same thing to everybody. There's good people reading them like Ahmadis and there's bad people like ISIS. Logical faith to you maybe, but not to most people on planet. Beauty of teaching is also in the eye the beholder.
Why would it need a holy book to be a true religion?
because the true religion belong to the holybook.

Jumi

Why would it need a holy book to be a true religion?
because the true religion belong to the holybook.
This is the same story of circular logic I got about the Bible when I was young. The Bible was right because the Bible was right and everything else that could be said about religion was false because it was perfect.

use_your_brain

This is the same story of circular logic I got about the Bible when I was young. The Bible was right because the Bible was right and everything else that could be said about religion was false because it was perfect.
If the Bible were proven true then we, you and I have to believe in it. Otherwise the bible remains as the myth book.