• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am sceptical of the Skeptics. Is it wrong?

Corthos

Great Old One
So Scientific Method itself is not scientific.
Regards

?...

I guess you're right, random guy on the internet! Show's over, folks! Time to turn in your computers, your phones, everything we know about the world, and every piece of technology we own! The jig is up! =/

For being "not scientific", The Scientific Method sure is a great tool for finding the inner workings of how our world works, and how we can best use it to advance our species as a whole. =/

cambridge79

So we can observe a single cell accidentally morphing into a man through millions of lucky random mutations? We can chose to believe it of course, model it in computer simulations, fill in the gaps with drawings. But we certainly cannot directly observe, measure, repeat experimentally- quaint old fashioned scientific principles like that!

"It's as if they [fossils] were just planted there, with no evolutionary history" Dawkins

"[science]: such wholesale returns of conjecture, from such a trifling investment of fact" Mark Twain

That's interesting, I has the opposite experience, born and raised atheist and only began to question those beliefs later. I generally assume everyone here is capable of critical thought, we all want to know the truth- whatever we were brought up with, and we'll probably never prove anything to each other!- although since we both changed our minds- I suppose something we can prove here, is that our opinions are entirely unreliable :)

On varying beliefs, the vast majority of free thinking humanity has deduced a creator of some kind. And the Bible is the most widely read, influential book in the history of humanity, across millennia, cultures and continents. I don't think that is inconsistent with a divine creation.
Let me give you an example.

You have a dead body and no witnesses. In the room you find a bloody knife with fingerprints of John. Than you find bloody footprints of John shoes. Than you find john Hairs. Than you find pieces of john skin under the body fingernails. Than you find fingerprints of john over the body. Than you find dresses covered in the victim blood in john's house and scratches over john arms.

Who do you think is the killer? Can we assume is john even if nobody was there to see the murder?
Have we any reason to assume that maybe an invisible supernatural being killed the victim therefore john is innocent?

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
It is embedded in philosophy. Philosophy cannot be tested with verifiable experiments and has no potential for falsification.
Regards

That's like saying Islam is polytheistic because it grew out of a polytheistic culture, and that it emerged in ancient Arabia completely identical to what it is now, 1400 years later. Which is ridiculous.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
They have set/proposed different scientific methods for different branches of sciences. That shows that one scientific method does not cover even all the sciences.
Regards
There are different fields of scientific study, but they all use the same scientific method. Can you give an example of a branch of science which uses a method other than the scientific method?