• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

genetic manipulation

amorphous_constellation

I think that the notion of "bettering" our species is fundamentally arrogant, regardless of the form it takes. It also leads us more and more astray from finding contentment with what we have, expressing gratitude for what we have, and learning how to say "I have enough" instead of feeding into a never-satiated pursuit for more, more, more.

That's the real thing isn't it, the real psychological question which faces modern man is whether they should be content or dissatisfied. I think the human race is most divided on that question most of all, and psychology and modern philosophy tend to say we should simply be content more often than not.

Curious George

Veteran Member
If that's the path one wishes to take, sure. Be what one wishes to see in the world and all that, right?

When it comes right down to it, people should do what is in keeping for their character, not what you or I think they should do. Ultimately that is what will happen anyway. That I see no meritous purpose to a species-wide eugenics program does not mean others cannot. Nor does the fact that I think such efforts are misguided make it so.
I am not sure you answered my question, or if you did, it sounded like a "dust in the wind" answer.

Yes, everyone will make their ripples or paint their canvas, and eventually return to the earth. But I am focused on your claim that we should not better ourselves? I am questioning whether you can actually sustain such a belief. Surely I can go through your posts and find that you think people should better themselves. Yet, the idea of doing this with genetic manipulation somehow does not fall in line with your worldview. Why?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I feel like we just went in a circle. Why were we "never meant to be" a certain way?
Basically, humans aren't to usurp God's role and attempt to be gods over our own destiny. It all goes back to the Garden. Originally, we were in perfect harmony with God until we decided that we would be our own gods. In Christianity, we will ultimately be made perfect, but through God. Genetic engineering cuts God out of the picture and is ultimately a materialist stance based on fear of death. Whatever imperfections we have are to be accepted with grace and used as an opportunity to grow spiritually. We all die and that's just part of the way of things in this realm. The key is to accept this with grace and put all hope and trust in God.

(Sorry, I'm drunk and I'm trying to express myself as best I can. )

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I can only read half of that I disagree so much. Typical western culture material which says we all have climb the mountain and suffer instead of finding the easier shortcut to doing things. Well here's an argument for you. What if they figure out how to genetically modify a human nose so it can smell co2 or maybe be sensitive enough to pickup the smell of a fire that's starting 5 rooms away. Would save lives right? How about if they could give us the eyes of an eagle, so that the search and rescue people in helicopters can pick out someone in need of rescue on the ocean with their bare eyes for miles. Or how about they modify the human tongue so it can taste food poisoning. Or even with muscle example, it would ease the lives of construction workers. But nope, western culture says we must suffer.
This actually effects me personally as a transsexual. What if it's possible to change your chromosomes? What if I could have a fully XY body? I don't know. But this does impact me personally. I've resigned myself to not ever having the correct body in this lifetime, anyway. We all will die sometime.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Basically, humans aren't to usurp God's role and attempt to be gods over our own destiny. It all goes back to the Garden. Originally, we were in perfect harmony with God until we decided that we would be our own gods. In Christianity, we will ultimately be made perfect, but through God. Genetic engineering cuts God out of the picture and is ultimately a materialist stance based on fear of death. Whatever imperfections we have are to be accepted with grace and used as an opportunity to grow spiritually. We all die and that's just part of the way of things in this realm. The key is to accept this with grace and put all hope and trust in God.

(Sorry, I'm drunk and I'm trying to express myself as best I can. )
But why does that not hold for disease or disorders?

amorphous_constellation

This actually effects me personally as a transsexual. What if it's possible to change your chromosomes? What if I could have a fully XY body? I don't know. But this does impact me personally. I've resigned myself to not ever having the correct body in this lifetime, anyway. We all will die sometime.

Well I think this might be the one thing that might really give us all a better edge if it's done right, if I might say that at risk of being framed as some mad scientist from a cartoon. Can it be used for great evil? Yeah, that's what we have to avoid if there's any good in us at all. Can it be used for great good? That's what I'd argue, if there are some really careful people at the helm. And actually, why have anyone need to be at the helm of it. If I go up to them and tell them I want to see in the dark, who's business is that?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Does your religion have anything to say about it? Should we manipulate the genome to better our species?
By marrying a woman not of the same paternal or maternal descent, of comparable physique, education, culture, traditions and financial position, with the consent of family and society, with no history of an ailment which could affect the progeny. :)

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member

Perhaps It may be possible for you one day Frank .... the manipulation of my genome left
my Y chromosome with what looks like a detached extra leg hanging by the slimmest thread.
Result = all the anticipated male bits, just none functional for procreation ...
oh and still awaiting pubic hair ( probably a lost cause now as i approach retirement age.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Perhaps It may be possible for you one day Frank .... the manipulation of my genome left
my Y chromosome with what looks like a detached extra leg hanging by the slimmest thread.
Result = all the anticipated male bits, just none functional for procreation ...
oh and still awaiting pubic hair ( probably a lost cause now as i approach retirement age.
That is interesting. The y chromosome can only come from the father. I would be interested to hear any research into your affliction that you have done. Is it possible that you actually received an x chromosome from your father and a genetically altered x chromosome from your mother?

Eliab ben Benjamin

Premium Member
That is interesting. The y chromosome can only come from the father. I would be interested to hear any research into your affliction that you have done. Is it possible that you actually received an x chromosome from your father and a genetically altered x chromosome from your mother?

Sounds likely, but well my parents and even my own generation are from a time
when such dysfunction are more likely kept in the cupboard rather than displayed
or investigated.. all my similarly dysfunctional cousins are also apparent males,
which up to this moment i never considered as being odd ....

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm sorry you had to go through that. :(

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hugs, thanks Frank .... No Biggie for me any more, i buried myself in Education and work,
never had a relationship other than friends... i tend to be Asexual ...
so do not miss what i never had.

Perhaps only thing i regret is my mother never got the grandchildren she looked forward to o_O
Good point. You just accept your reality and adjust to it. You could adopt, though.