• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fox News should be banned!

Underhill

What I don't really understand, (well I do because it goes against what the FNC crtics believe) is why the O'Reilly and Hannity shows are the standard that FNC is judged. Fox NEWS along with local news and ABC are our main source of news. We do not watch Hannity As far as I am concerned the Hannity show is nothing more than an opinion show and O'Reilly is too self-centered to watch. I have asked many times on various rant threads on FNC is if any of those that complain about FNC if they have ever watched any of the following "NEWS" programs.
Note: times are MST
American News Room 7AM
Shepard Smith 1PM (note do not watch, chores time)
Special Report with Bret Bair 4PM
Greta Van Susteren 5PM (note do not watch due to local and ABC news)

Business News on Fox Business Channel
Cavuto 10AM
Lou Dobbs 6PM

Now I'm almost 95% positive that those that have hissy fits over FNC have never watched any of these programs more than once or even once.
Challenge laid down.

I've watched them begrudgingly at my parents house, the doctors office and the dentist.

Before my parents left for warmer climes, I remember seeing them promoting the tea party protest in the breaks. Every time they took a break, it was off to someone espousing how wonderful the tea party was and how everyone should get out their and join the party... even going so far as to have contact information on the screen. During the show they just did stories about the protest, always with a positive slant.

It was the kind of thing you expect to see on a infomercial, not the 'news'.

http://mediamatters.org/research/2009/04/08/report-fair-and-balanced-fox-news-aggressively/149009

BSM1

What? Me worry?
It's all good.

92226-Tom-Cruise-hugs-Val-Kilmer-gif-58Ox.gif

Which one am I?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Don't know what you're referring to, and what does "SJW" stand for?
Yes.
Do you?
If for one minute you actually think that I'm for suppression of free speech on campus, then I would suggest you actually go back to the first page on this thread and actually read what I wrote and which comment I attached "like" to.
I didn't say you favored such censorship.
In fact, I believe you'd oppose it.....even for Fox.
So you wouldn't be included in the group, "so many lefties", I referred to in post #12.
See how highly I think of you?
(Does it creep you out that you live in my thoughts?)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't think they should be banned, however I do not think they should be allowed to call themselves "news" as such a term is blatantly incorrect and can only be construed as false advertising and deceptive marketing.
Remember that you might get your way with Obama or Hillary as prez,
but what if a Pub wins some day? Then gov might play this same game
with leftish sources. Do you trust government to decide what is true?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes.
Do you?

I didn't say you favored such censorship.
In fact, I believe you'd oppose it.....even for Fox.
So you wouldn't be included in the group, "so many lefties", I referred to in post #12.
See how highly I think of you?
(Does it creep you out that you live in my thoughts?)
Ya, but you tell me those are nightmares.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Maybe last spring or so, one of the Republican politicians actually said that Fox has done the party a great disservice because they along with right-wing radio have driven the party so far to the right that winning the presidency is becoming increasingly difficult. Does anyone remember who that was by chance?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I don't think they should be banned, however I do not think they should be allowed to call themselves "news" as such a term is blatantly incorrect and can only be construed as false advertising and deceptive marketing.

Are you sure you're not confusing the actual news broadcasts with the commentary programs?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Remember that you might get your way with Obama or Hillary as prez,
but what if a Pub wins some day? Then gov might play this same game
with leftish sources. Do you trust government to decide what is true?
It really has nothing to do with the government deciding what is true. With Fox, we can objectively state that they exist to serve the Republican party, that they manipulate news items and images, and that they make incorrect statements on a regular and frequent basis. And this should extend to all biased "news" sources. If any random person can fact check the source of news and find that they frequently mislead the audience and present false information, it shouldn't be called news. We have the freedom of press, and I support this right to go uninfringed in nearly all situations. But being considered a journalist and a news source are not rights, if you are giving more than the news when you're giving the news then chances are good that you aren't news.
Are you sure you're not confusing the actual news broadcasts with the commentary programs?
Even their "news" is often biased, manipulated, dishonest, and serves a purpose other than informing the audience about the news.

esmith

Veteran Member
blah blah blah blah blah Fox News bad blah blah blah blah, Poor little liberal can't stand the heat...:p

On a more serious note has anyone came up with a false news report on FNC that wasn't retracted?
Let me know when you watch one of the programs I listed and then discuss what you found to be incorrect as far as the "facts" were.

Akivah

blah blah blah blah blah Fox News bad blah blah blah blah, Poor little liberal can't stand the heat...:p

I've noticed that the Dems on this forum want the government to ban Fox News. But the Pubs want government to keep their hands off ALL the media.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I tend to agree with this. Instead of voicing a desire to ban Fox News, we should simply have retorts prepared to show their zaniness. It only takes a little bit of logic to corner fabricated stories into a corner.
The more they are shown to be wrong, the less people will value their information. It's as simple as that.

Spot on. I tend to just turn the channel and not watch them . Those that are vested in it are simply all in. There isn't much you can say to them.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
What I don't really understand, (well I do because it goes against what the FNC crtics believe) is why the O'Reilly and Hannity shows are the standard that FNC is judged. Fox NEWS along with local news and ABC are our main source of news. We do not watch Hannity As far as I am concerned the Hannity show is nothing more than an opinion show and O'Reilly is too self-centered to watch. I have asked many times on various rant threads on FNC is if any of those that complain about FNC if they have ever watched any of the following "NEWS" programs.
Note: times are MST
American News Room 7AM
Shepard Smith 1PM (note do not watch, chores time)
Special Report with Bret Bair 4PM
Greta Van Susteren 5PM (note do not watch due to local and ABC news)

Business News on Fox Business Channel
Cavuto 10AM
Lou Dobbs 6PM

Now I'm almost 95% positive that those that have hissy fits over FNC have never watched any of these programs more than once or even once.
Challenge laid down.

I have and can't stand most of them. It should be noted that Fox local news and ABC local news is a world of difference than "Fox News" itself. We're not talking about the local anchor reporting news. We're talking about Infotainers....

esmith

Veteran Member
I have and can't stand most of them. It should be noted that Fox local news and ABC local news is a world of difference than "Fox News" itself. We're not talking about the local anchor reporting news. We're talking about Infotainers....
Again opinion trumps facts. No one as of yet provided facts, only opinions....

Wirey

Fartist
They promote violence, bigotry, and greed! I think they should be banned for humanity's good.

Treat them like Islamic extremists and extremists of all kinds.

An enemy of nice polite tolerant society!

You're aware that banning someone for your own beliefs is a form of extremism, right? You made me laugh!