• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does race exist?

Does race exist?

• Total voters

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I was thinking earlier today about how people define themselves, or their identity, based upon what can be rather spurious notions.

For the longest time I have been told that I have Creek ancestry based upon an unfounded notion that one of my direct male ancestors on my fathers line was a Kentucky Confederate Lieutenant whose wife was one generation descended from Creek natives. That information comes from a will that ancestor left freeing his three slaves upon his death. There is no other evidence. None. Others have remarked that my brother, myself and several of my cousins on my fathers side tan easily in the sun where my cousins on my mothers side without such an alleged history......do not.

So what does that mean? Nothing to me.

What I have found is that I am descended not only from Northern Europeans, obviously factual and traceable, but to Central European Jews who may have a strong genetic heritage from Mediterranean origins. That seems more likely to me.

So what am I? I know for a fact that I have Northern European ancestry as well as Central European Jewish ancestry.

Here's the problem. I have some cousins several times removed that have done extensive research on their ancestry. That's why I know I'm derived from England among the remaining Cornish Gaels who kept their surname of Chun. They are part of my ancestry. So am I Gaelic? No. Being born in Georgia whose most recent ancestors are from Alabama, Kentucky and Georgia speaks mainly of Northern English ancestry based upon the migration patter when England colonized the New World. My ancestry among the direct male goes all the way to the colonization of Georgia.

Yet maybe there is the Creek ancestry as well. Unfortunately much of the records of Georgia were destroyed during the Civil War. Most of mine on the direct line come from Burke County, GA.

What's my race? I know there are Northern Europeans and Central European Jews as a fact.

What is my culture........will that help? I'm an atheist.

Someone tell me what my race is? Because for the longest time in Europe Jews, even those born in and raised in that culture, were considered a separate race from Prussian, Frank, Saxon, Austrian, English, Irish, Swiss, etc. The Jews were always considered a separate race. But I know for a fact that my family history is that of a family, by the surname of Solomon, who migrated from the Germanic States in Central Europe in the 1800's. I also know that I'm derived from Northern English.....a mix of Breton, Scandinavian, Scottish.......who migrated to this continent less than a century before my Jewish ancestors did. Than what if the Creek myth of my family history is true? What is my race?

Don't ask me my culture? If you do that you fail the test immediately.

And here is what I thought earlier today while taking a shower. I thought of the reality show regarding the Roloff family focused on two little people who married and conduct their lives. They have children who are average size.

Read that and sink it in for a moment.

Genetically here are two people who match each other in every way, other than sex, genetically and have children who do not match themselves genetically. Namely on the condition commonly referred to as dwarfism. Here is the other aspect. Cultural experience. There is a definite distinction in culture among those of our society who our little people dealing with common everyday reactions based upon an average human size and they deal with them in a way that has defined a culture within larger society. But the children of these people with a genetic condition do not experience that culture.

I'll leave that last there to see if anyone understands what I'm touching on in terms of race and any biological definition of race.

When one considers that we are all connected to each other by less than seven links of separation, it is not surprising that we can also find wide variations in our genetic make up and family and racial mix. Inter racial breeding is extraordinarily common, when looked at globally, and its links filter down through every community. Your own lineage is an example of this.
Never the less People perceive race by only a few factors or clues. Colour , stature, facial features and hair qualities are the most usual, endorsed by language , dress and customs. Most people do not deny these racial stereotype as they apply to them selves, most of proud of their heritage.

A more reasonable question might be, does classification by race serve any useful purpose ?
Certainly Governments and scientists believe so, and knowledge of ones genetic race can be life saving medically.
On a social and day to day basis, racial classification can do more harm than good.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
A more reasonable question might be, does classification by race serve any useful purpose ?
Certainly Governments and scientists believe so, and knowledge of ones genetic race can be life saving medically.
On a social and day to day basis, racial classification can do more harm than good.
It depends upon what one means by "useful".
Some use it in PhD theses.
Many use it for political gain.
A great many use it for their identity.
And a huge number use it as an excuse for their personal failure.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So what traits do you find frequent enough do reasonably place them as indicative of a white person?
A list.....
- Caucasian facial features
- Light colored skin
- One of the following: wearing Hawaiian shirt, shopping at The Gap, watching NASCAR on an iphone while sitting in church where snakes are being handled.

Mee the above criteria, & there's a 99.998% chance this bumpkin is white.

dust1n

Zindīq
A list.....
- Caucasian facial features
- Light colored skin

I'm sorry, could you pick out some vaguer traits? I'm having trouble seeing the constellation.

- One of the following: wearing Hawaiian shirt, shopping at The Gap, watching NASCAR on an iphone while sitting in church where snakes are being handled.

Mee the above criteria, & there's a 99.998% chance this bumpkin is white.

Pretty good point. I got all of those things going on, plus I drive a Chrysler.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm sorry, could you pick out some vaguer traits? I'm having trouble seeing the constellation.
Those are the vaguest I could find.
There other traits more commonly found among white folk:
- Dupuytren's contracture
- Tay-Sachs disease
- Red & blonde hair
But remember that we're talking about frequency of occurrence....not absolute determination of race.

dust1n

Zindīq
Those are the vaguest I could find.
There other traits more commonly found among white folk:
- Dupuytren's contracture
- Tay-Sachs disease
- Red & blonde hair
But remember that we're talking about frequency of occurrence....not absolute determination of race.

Those are all pretty rare, with the exception of blonde hair, which is also relatively rare, even in white populations. I wouldn't really call them frequent traits.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Those are all pretty rare, with the exception of blonde hair, which is also relatively rare, even in white populations. I wouldn't really call them frequent traits.
They are secondary traits, of course.
It all points towards the existence of race....especially the Caucasian facial features & light skin.
I have Dupuytren's contracture, btw.
My left pinky is a mess, but it works for typing.
I just hope the other fingers are spared this malady.
I also have Hawaiian shirt syndrome....for which there is no known cure.

gnomon

When one considers that we are all connected to each other by less than seven links of separation, it is not surprising that we can also find wide variations in our genetic make up and family and racial mix. Inter racial breeding is extraordinarily common, when looked at globally, and its links filter down through every community. Your own lineage is an example of this.
Never the less People perceive race by only a few factors or clues. Colour , stature, facial features and hair qualities are the most usual, endorsed by language , dress and customs. Most people do not deny these racial stereotype as they apply to them selves, most of proud of their heritage.

Classification by race serves no useful function.

Medical experts running a proper blood test to identify specific concerns with that individual does.

Namely because there are people in the U.S. today who would be classified as white or black, our two utterly useless distinctions, yet in the medical field have no meaning unless they take precise tests on those individuals because their ancestors were predominantly of another so called "race". Using a handful of phenotypes to categorize people has served us, in a social sense, nothing more than misery and in a medical sense, utterly useless.