• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anyone explain the origin of jeans? Can anyone explain how all the new brands of jeans came into being with evolution?

Pete in Panama

When I was a child, my father had a Skil circular saw that was referred to as a Skilsaw. As I grew older and learned to use it, the name Skilsaw became synonymous in my mind for circular saw. I see this happen often where the brand is used as the generic name for the type, so not so unusual that I would think of Levi's when asked about jeans. It is the brand of jeans I am familiar with.

The propensity to follow this convention when considering jeans may be in my genes.

Evolution is fun! A game the whole population can play.
protecting the possession of trademarks is not easy. Thermos, bandaid, xerox, have all had their "issues".

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I object to the term "jean" - it makes an article of clothing seem like someone from France named "Jean". The internet tells me that "Jean" is a gender neutral French name which is great as far as gender neutral goes. But French?

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Nothing wrong with French.
The most valuable bit of French I learned for a trip to Paris was bon jour (deliberately and badly pronounced bahn-jur with a smile), which translates to, "Obviously, I don't speak your language, so can we please change to English?" without having to speak any English at all.

The only problem I had during that trip was with a couple of Brits selling wine in Paris. I forgot myself and began with "Hello" in their shop, and was read the riot act even by native English speakers. I had been warned not to do that, but it slipped out.

Good people, I was treated very well, and I had a great time. My bahn-jur was always greeted with a smile and an English response. Some of that may be because it was two months after 9/11, and there was a lot of sympathy for Americans then.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The most valuable bit of French I learned for a trip to Paris was bon jour (deliberately and badly pronounced bahn-jur with a smile), which translates to, "Obviously, I don't speak your language, so can we please change to English?" without having to speak any English at all.

The only problem I had during that trip was with a couple of Brits selling wine in Paris. I forgot myself and began with "Hello" in their shop, and was read the riot act even by native English speakers. I had been warned not to do that, but it slipped out.

Good people, I was treated very well, and I had a great time. My bahn-jur was always greeted with a smile and an English response. Some of that may be because it was two months after 9/11, and there was a lot of sympathy for Americans then.

Bonjour (one word) but with many accents and dialects. Try it with a broad Lancashire accent for a good laugh ;-). Around these parts oui is pronounced way, fits my accent quite well

I used to find "Pardon, je suis anglais et mon français n'est pas bon." Often got sympathy. People were impressed i tried and often came back with English. Or at least understanding and hand signals.

Another good one if you happen to be in froggy land again is ca va, (pronounced sa va) it's the every day greeting to any friend or acquaintance.
The reply is also ca va but the intonation of the reply from sad to chirpy can write books.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Ahh JnCos. Great for sneaking many much quantities of snacks into the theater. Bad for walking around in.

It pleases me to see that this discussion isn't thread-bare.
I never had any trouble walking in them.

I have what's called a 'riding skirt'... reminds me so much of Jncos. :D Doesn't have the external pockts, though.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
This is the oldest known pair of jeans (1857, found in a shipwrecked trunk). I find it fascinating the the design has changed very little.
iu

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ahh JnCos. Great for sneaking many much quantities of snacks into the theater. Bad for walking around in.

It pleases me to see that this discussion isn't thread-bare.
I always thought they were easy and comfy to walk in. They're no good in a MidWest rain (they get soggy and nasty very easily), but I knew a few guys who did prowrestling wearing them.

☆Dreamwind☆

I always thought they were easy and comfy to walk in. They're no good in a MidWest rain (they get soggy and nasty very easily), but I knew a few guys who did prowrestling wearing them.
Ah well, maybe its because I'm a shorty. So for me they constantly snagged and tripped me up. They were comfy, I never had that stiff jeans period. But they were too expensive to constantly get frayed so quickly. These days I prefer Gloria Vanderbilt mostly.

Last edited:

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Ah well, maybe its because I'm a shorty. So for me they constantly snagged and tripped me up. They were comfy, I never had that stiff jeans period. But they were too expensive to constantly get frayed so quickly. These days I prefer Gloria Vanderbilt mostly.
What's that?