• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Can anyone explain the origin of jeans? Can anyone explain how all the new brands of jeans came into being with evolution?

Nimos

How did all the new brands of jeans after the original evolve?
1702834666853.png

How many pairs of jeans do you own? What is your favorite brand/style?
I don't know, but only have jeans. Lewis, standard jeans, I don't like those baggy ones or other weird things. :)

One has to admit that it is pretty impressive for something to stay popular for that long, especially when talking about clothes. Coca Cola etc. I can better understand.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
I adhere to a literal interpretation of Strauss 1853. It is a wise man that rejects the pursuit and instant gratification in favor of selling things to those seekers of such gratification.

These jeans evolved from pre-existing clothing in response to the more strenuous nature of the environment that demanded much more strenuous clothing in response.

RestlessSoul

It's My Birthday!
I have one pair of Levi's and one pair of Wranglers, but the Levi's were made in Pakistan; not sure about the Wranglers, I think they make those in Mexico now? Not much point imo buying an iconic U.S. brand that's not made in the U.S., so I'll probably never buy another pair of Levi's anyway.

I gave up wearing Clark's shoes (formerly made in Northampton, England) for the same reason.

Pete in Panama

Since Levi's are very spendy, I am constantly looking for some mechanism of jean duplication.
Interesting that when someone mentioned jeans you thought of Levi's.

About a couple hundred years ago a German Jew was in Italy and saw how the sailors all wore the same kind of trousers from a cotton fabric they bought a 230 miles west in Nimes France. The name of that town evolved into "denim" (of Nimes) and the town where the trousers were seen (Genoa) evolved into "jeans". The German Jew was Levi Straus and he move to the U.S. to manufacture his trousers becuase cotton was cheap there.

Evolution is fun!

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting that when someone mentioned jeans you thought of Levi's.

About a couple hundred years ago a German Jew was in Italy and saw how the sailors all wore the same kind of trousers from a cotton fabric they bought a 230 miles west in Nimes France. The name of that town evolved into "denim" (of Nimes) and the town where the trousers were seen (Genoa) evolved into "jeans". The German Jew was Levi Straus and he move to the U.S. to manufacture his trousers becuase cotton was cheap there.

Evolution is fun!
When I was a child, my father had a Skil circular saw that was referred to as a Skilsaw. As I grew older and learned to use it, the name Skilsaw became synonymous in my mind for circular saw. I see this happen often where the brand is used as the generic name for the type, so not so unusual that I would think of Levi's when asked about jeans. It is the brand of jeans I am familiar with.

The propensity to follow this convention when considering jeans may be in my genes.

Evolution is fun! A game the whole population can play.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Who invented jeans? What was the first brand?

Jakob Davis created working trousers based on sailors hard wearing trousers. He and Levi Strauss moved to America and patented them.

Everyone jumped on the bandwagon.

I have 4 pairs, a pair of Levi's full of holes that have caused me some embarrassment on occasion but I'm not parting with them.
A pair of M$S (Harper) skinny jeans, very comfortable.
A pair of unbranded jeans bought at market.
A pair of Tuffery for best.

Favourite? I like them all for different reasons

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Who invented jeans? What was the first brand?

I own zero pairs.

I had a few pairs in the '90s, when Jncos were a thing. After they stopped being sold, and mine fell apart, I stopped wearing them.

20e7707bd461ce4890d466de5b254e5a.jpg