• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AI music getting much better

idea

Question Everything
With art it is very often one person who looks at things differently and gives it a different approach that leads to developments and great art.
Amd for some of us, we don't want larger community aspects of art in our stuff and it doesn't want us. AI won't be able to do niche stuff very well or appeal to those who prefer less mainstream and underground art.
Nor will a community voicd capture someone like Eminem. His word play is top notch and too advanced for a computer program because it requires a human perspective and a human perspective of things. AI will never have that.
Les Claypool, again this is an artist who is truly one of kind. His lyrics are strange and bizarre, his music is often very unconventional and bass driven, add in Buckethead and we have something we'll never see from AI. Even masked AI won't as well because it's AI and it's not mysterious like a masked person, as the psychology of masks as we understand them do not apply to AI. In a waybwe only see a mask of a computer amd it's programs anyways.
Or how Ghost used to be anonymous. Ot was fun not knowing who they are while it lasted. It's also fun wondering who Here Come the Mummies are, especially as they have reminded anonymous for over 20 years. AI can't have that, nor will it understand why it appeals to us.

A few people are asking if AI is now sentient, has become its own lifeform. AI can generate emergent irreduciblly complex patterns, more than just a sum of the parts. I'm willing to see it as a unique form of conscience.

We all learn from others, nature/nurture, are a product of our environments. AI/machine learning isn't really any different from humans learning - AI just has a larger data set, can learn faster.

Last edited:

Nimos

Interesting to put responsibility on the person writing prompt rather than AI platform.
Think you misunderstand what I mean, there are two sides to this as I see it.

I could download a song by some artist and use some audio tool to rip the song or lyrics or whatever. We don't blame the Audio application creator for their tool being misused either.

If I use the AI software to intentionally copy someone's work and pretend as if I made it, then I am to blame for it.

But this is a separate issue from whether those having trained the AI models have done so using copyrighted materials, they are obviously in the spotlight for that one. But you and I as users are not responsible for that, because we don't know if they did something illegal or not, that is for the justice system to decide.
In the same way, we are not responsible for whether or not someone uploads something illegal to YouTube and they don't manage to filter it and then we watch it.

Nimos

A few people are asking if AI is now sentient, has become its own lifeform. AI can generate emergent irreduciblly complex patterns, more than just a sum of the parts. I'm willing to see it as a unique form of conscience.
The issue is that they don't really know how they work from what I understand. I think the best explanation is to compare it to humans. We know how the brain is structured etc. Yet we don't understand how it works in full detail and it is kind of the same with AIs.

In an interview with CBS' 60 Minutes, Google tech exec James Manyika admitted that the company's AI had somehow learned a language on which it had not been trained.

"We discovered that with very few amounts of prompting in Bengali," Manyika said, "it can now translate all of Bengali."

So it's not as straightforward as it seems.

idea

Question Everything
The issue is that they don't really know how they work from what I understand. I think the best explanation is to compare it to humans. We know how the brain is structured etc. Yet we don't understand how it works in full detail and it is kind of the same with AIs.

In an interview with CBS' 60 Minutes, Google tech exec James Manyika admitted that the company's AI had somehow learned a language on which it had not been trained.

"We discovered that with very few amounts of prompting in Bengali," Manyika said, "it can now translate all of Bengali."

So it's not as straightforward as it seems.

We think in 3D, can create x,y,z graphs, compare 3 variables such as pressure, temperature, volume, have equations with 3 variables like PV=nRT. Trouble is, reality has more than 3 variables.

Take the gas milage of your car, what variables determine your mpg? Tire pressure, type of gas, last oil change, city or country, elevation change, number of passengers, temperature, road conditions, and on and on and on. More than 3 variables, we don't have an equation for it, cannot visualize the perfect combination and all interactions -

but a computer can :)

We use tools to understand the quantum world, and tools to understand relativistic mechanics - worlds that exist but are not intuitive as we do not live in that length scale. Multidimensional analysis is similar - we have to use tools. We can't see it, can't graph it, but can create programs that find perfect combinations - from mpg to vaccines to music.

It's very exciting, an amazing time to be alive.

Gallileo invented the telescope to see the stars.
AI is like a telescope - a tool that allows us to see so much further, create so much faster and more efficiently, solve real problems- just needs data. Lots and lots of quality data.

Our new job, feed it data - feed it songs, feed it poetry, art, CAD files - feed it data. A symbiotic relationship - we need each other, humans are not obsolete.

Nimos

Our new job, feed it data - feed it songs, feed it poetry, art, CAD files - feed it data. A symbiotic relationship - we need each other, humans are not obsolete.
Agree humans will never be obsolete, but the way we do things might be. Maybe it can be compared to when we were once hunter-gatherers and then moved towards agriculture, gathered in larger cities, more laws, currencies etc. Maybe AI and robotics are the new initiators for changing how we do things.
If robotics and AI live up to the expectations, then it will be like adding a massive elite workforce into societies, which I don't think our current way of doing things can handle.

So agree it is an interesting time to live, but also slightly worrying, given how little control there seems to be regarding these things, it is basically the big companies deciding the cause of humanity, while the rest of us are sidelined without influence.

PureX

Veteran Member
The 24450-pound sketch is considered art because Damien Hirst is famous. Who should you ask, that can decide whether that is art or not, the only giveaway is the price tag. I can bet you the 24450 pounds that if I had created that sketch, it would be worthless.
It's like anything else. Everyone has an opinion, but can they logically articulate it and remain honest and accurate? There are reasons people think Damien Hirst's artworks are important. But their reasoning is weak.
No one can judge what is art and what is not, and I think that is one of the huge issues with the whole AI thing.
Artists can. But there are already way too many imposters, so that it's difficult to know who the real artists are. Real artists can spot the phonies easily, but how can anyone else? This has always been an issue with art. Which makes it a good field for the hucksters to play at. That's just the way it is.
Because it is stepping on something that people agree on, was uniquely human and something that a particular group with talents did. Nothing before AI touched on this domain. But now everyone could potentially call themselves artists because nothing distinguishes their end product from what everyone can make now or at least in the near future.
This is an interesting point. But Hirst is famous because he had a good line of BS to sell himself as an innovator. And there was some historical precedent for it. That's how he fooled the eggheads in the 'art world' that aren't artists and so couldn't spot the phony. And once he got over on them, he became 'famous'. And that carries it's own pegigree. Especially in a field that is so open as art.
And as I see it, given that art has never been well-defined, we are in a huge mess.
Yes. We have to give up the idea of a pat definition, and focus on the purpose of it. But it seems that few people are able to grasp this. They want a pat definition that they can use as their score card.
Again, this is what the issue is. You say it is not art, because you think I had no intent (Imagine I did create them as art). Then wouldn't you be offending me, saying that I had no intent with it? Who are you to decide that, you might as well call me a liar?
If you say you are a chicken, and I say you're not, am I calling you a liar? That isn't really relevant, is it?
Obviously, Damien Hirst also has some intent with that sketch, whether that is because he thinks it is amazing or just wants to see if he can get some random person to pay that amount for it. But is that really enough? anyone could generate AI images and say it has intention and then it would be art, to me that seems pretty vague, despite the fact it might actually be the case.
And yet it will either be the truth, or it won't. People claim all kinds of things, and often even believe it. But that doesn't make their claim true. One of the things I like most about art is that from an artist's perspective, you can't fake it. You can lie, but only in the service of a greater truth. There are many fools and hucksters pretending to be artists and pretending to make art. But the truth always shows up in the results, if you know how to look.
It was made by Leonardo.
It was, wasn't it. :) well I knew it was one of those famous dead guys.
But anyway, I think I showed you those videos with a paint bucket on a string swinging around, which is apparently also art:
This artist creates paintings with a swinging paint bucket. Callen Schaub is an artist in Canada. The paint flows out of slots as the bucket spins on a string. He calls this technique the Chalice of Chaos. Callen spins the bucket before he lets go to create the pattern. There are dividers to keep the colors from mixing. His original pieces sell for up to $50,000.
It depends. Art is not defined by technique, or difficulty. Or by the theoretical historic context. Or the creator's fame, and so on. But there will always be those who are fooled by these things.
And if you want to see how it is made: Artist creates paintings with a swinging paint bucket

Those are the experts that you refer to that should decide what art is. How much mind and world view or heart is in a swinging bucket with paint?
The only experts I know are the real artists out there, and a few very smart, well informed, enthusiasts.

Nimos

It's like anything else. Everyone has an opinion, but can they logically articulate it and remain honest and accurate? There are reasons people think Damien Hirst's artworks are important. But their reasoning is weak.
Everyone can fake things, but also I don't think all artists have a deeper meaning with everything they make, some probably just do it because they think it looks cool, different etc.

Artists can. But there are already way too many imposters, so that it's difficult to know who the real artists are. Real artists can spot the phonies easily, but how can anyone else? This has always been an issue with art. Which makes it a good field for the hucksters to play at. That's just the way it is.
You could call yourself an artist if you started painting or sculpting or whatever. It's not like you have to go to a school to get a degree before you can be classified as one.

That is why I don't get your argument that artist can, because anyone can call themself an artist and there is no "judge" of who is an artist and who isn't.
It doesn't work like being a doctor, where you need certain certifications etc.

Before your argument makes sense, we have to be able to point to those artists that you refer to as the ones deciding what art is, and I don't see how you would do that?

Again, some people think Damien Hirst's work is amazing otherwise he couldn't sell a sketch like that for such an amount. Whereas others don't like his work, so who is right?

You throw these accusations around that "somebody or some people" are hucksters while others are artists, yet you don't present anyway to determine who is who.
Yes. We have to give up the idea of a pat definition, and focus on the purpose of it. But it seems that few people are able to grasp this. They want a pat definition that they can use as their score card.
Does art need to have a deeper meaning, can't it just be something beautiful or interesting or different? Take abstract art, probably some of it has a deeper meaning, but also I think a lot of it is simply because people like these things, the shapes or whatever.

If you say you are a chicken, and I say you're not, am I calling you a liar? That isn't really relevant, is it?
I think it is because as you wrote above, I would fall in the category of hucksters because you (or the chosen artists whoever they are) don't agree that my things have an intention or a deeper meaning and therefore not art. That is from what I understand the argument you are making. This would also mean that I could never be an artist, because clearly, I am now a huckster, because the "chosen" ones think so, doesn't matter if other people like my stuff or not, I would not be accepted as an artist following that logic. And to me, that is an absurd argument.

It depends. Art is not defined by technique, or difficulty. Or by the theoretical historic context. Or the creator's fame, and so on. But there will always be those who are fooled by these things.
So do you think this guy intends to fool people? does he qualify as an artist in your opinion? Im trying to figure out by which standard people are judged.

The only experts I know are the real artists out there, and a few very smart, well informed, enthusiasts.
Who are these "real" artists out there? can you mention one or two and why they are different from the others?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
AI music? Anyone think that AI can mix/intertwine The Model by Kraftwerk with Can't Get You Out of My Head by Kylie - given they both seem to have the same rhythm and tempo, and related lyrics, so as to which a nice number could be formed? :yum: Too lazy myself. :oops:

PureX

Veteran Member
Everyone can fake things, but also I don't think all artists have a deeper meaning with everything they make, some probably just do it because they think it looks cool, different etc.
They're called dilatantes. :)

Artists play and experiment all the time, but they don't put it on display and presume it's art.
You could call yourself an artist if you started painting or sculpting or whatever.
You could, but it wouldn't be true. You would just be a painter or a sculptor. A hobbyist, basically. Nothing wrong with that. But it's not necessarily making art just because one is dabbling in a popular artistic medium.
It's not like you have to go to a school to get a degree before you can be classified as one.
That's true. The education and degree to not make someone an artist.
That is why I don't get your argument that artist can, because anyone can call themself an artist and there is no "judge" of who is an artist and who isn't.
Nevertheless, artists know what art is. And they can spot a faker. The problem is the fakers call themselves artists, too, and often even believe they are, because they don't know what art is. Same goes for their followers.
It doesn't work like being a doctor, where you need certain certifications etc.
It's like being a doctor in that a doctor is someone that actually practices medicine. Artists are people that actually make art. But to recognize the artist, you have to know what art is.
Before your argument makes sense, we have to be able to point to those artists that you refer to as the ones deciding what art is, and I don't see how you would do that?
They are the ones actually making art. I realize this is a tautology, but that's the way it is.
Again, some people think Damien Hirst's work is amazing otherwise he couldn't sell a sketch like that for such an amount. Whereas others don't like his work, so who is right?
No one in their right mind thinks what he makes is amazing. What they think is that his works are 'important' historically. And are therefor monetarily valuable. It's what they've heard and read and they don't know any better.
You throw these accusations around that "somebody or some people" are hucksters while others are artists, yet you don't present anyway to determine who is who.
It's easy. Real artists make real art. The fakers don't. If you don't know what real art is, you won't be able to tell the difference. Most people don't know, and so they can't. That's just a fact of life in our greed obsessed culture. The greedsters that run everything don't want you to know what art is because they want to sell you crap, instead. Art is rare and hard to make, and is not about the money. They can't mass produce it for a profit. So they and the society they control ignores it. And even denigrates it. Because once you learn to recognize it, you also learn to recognize how devoid of any real value all the crap they are selling you is. Our culture mostly hates art and artists. It's partly why they like the hucksters. The gimmickry. They understand the gimmick because it's about the pretense of value.
Does art need to have a deeper meaning, can't it just be something beautiful or interesting or different?
It's not necessarily about having a deeper meaning. It's about providing a glimpse at existence through the artist's experience of it. Sort of like stepping into their skin for a moment. And thereby getting their perspective. This gives us a couple of very important insights: that we are all unique, and yet similar, too. And that we are not alone here. We are each other, and yet each a unique contributor to the whole. Also, we can see ourselves in them, and them in us. Like a kind of spirit-mirror.

Art is how a society is able to see itself, honesty. And that is very important for any healthy society to be able to do.
Take abstract art, probably some of it has a deeper meaning, but also I think a lot of it is simply because people like these things, the shapes or whatever.
Yes, there is a lot more to abstract art then that, if one cares to consider it. It's mostly about the mechanics of perception and expression. Somewhat the way instramental music works.
I think it is because as you wrote above, I would fall in the category of hucksters because you (or the chosen artists whoever they are) don't agree that my things have an intention or a deeper meaning and therefore not art.
Some artists can make art 'subconsciously'. That method just seems to work for them (cutting off conscious self-criticism).
That is from what I understand the argument you are making. This would also mean that I could never be an artist, because clearly, I am now a huckster, because the "chosen" ones think so, doesn't matter if other people like my stuff or not, I would not be accepted as an artist following that logic. And to me, that is an absurd argument.
Anyone could be an artist. But they will need to know what art is, and then engage in that activity.
So do you think this guy intends to fool people? does he qualify as an artist in your opinion? Im trying to figure out by which standard people are judged.
What guy?
Who are these "real" artists out there? can you mention one or two and why they are different from the others?
Not from an iPad. It'll have to be later.

Last edited:

Nimos

AI music? Anyone think that AI can mix/intertwine The Model by Kraftwerk with Can't Get You Out of My Head by Kylie - given they both seem to have the same rhythm and tempo, and related lyrics, so as to which a nice number could be formed? :yum: Too lazy myself. :oops:
The program I use can't do it, it just generates music based on what you tell it. But you could probably do it in one of the real audio tools I would assume, again don't know how they work. But someone who knows could probably do it.

Nimos

It's easy. Real artists make real art. The fakers don't. If you don't know what real art is, you won't be able to tell the difference. Most people don't know, and so they can't.
This doesn't make sense, what is real art? You keep referring to these things like everyone agrees what a real artist and art is, and everyone that disagrees with whatever these are, is just stupid or ignorant of art.

It's not necessarily about having a deeper meaning. It's about providing a glimpse at existence through the artist's being. Sort of like stepping into their skin for an instant. And thereby getting their perspective.
But who decides how a person best does this? Clearly, you don't like Damien Hirst's stuff, so I assume he is a huckster and everyone who thinks he makes cool stuff, is ignorant fools when it comes to art.

It is an extremely radical view without anything to back it up, I really don't get it :)
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to have a go at you, but I do think your reasoning is very vague.

What guy?
The person with the paint buckets.

Not from an iPad. It'll have to be later.
Fair enough.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Interesting to put responsibility on the person writing prompt rather than AI platform. I always believed the difference between plagiarism and research was:

1. Use multiple references
2. Transparency - clear attribution
3. Add something unique, your own thoughts

Prompt for each AI work should be clearly visible along with the work created, as well as reference section listing material/data used in generating work.

Just use basic rules for adding references - just like a research paper, and to me it is ethical.
On Udio the prompts are listed in clear view. Some are from the AI, in response presumably to those input by the organic partner :)

PureX

Veteran Member
maxresdefault.jpg

This guy is a poser. He wouldn't know art if it fell on his foot. I looked at least 50 of his "artworks" and maybe 5 of them would qualify as actual works of art ... of moderate quality. So I am assuming they were by accident.

Here is an example of a real abstract artist's work ... a painting by Wesley Kimler. I knew this guy years ago in Chicago. He was the real deal. An artist through and through.

WYK007_2_master.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
What answer do you want? You can determine what art is and if it's good or not via an uninformed knee-jerk reaction, as most people do, or you can take the time to ask people who know, maybe read up on the subject, and try to learn how to 'read' the artworks that you encounter for the art that they embody and reveal.
You aren't presenting yourself as though you've done that. In fact, claiming art is objective makes me assume you've not really pondering art appreciation of the philosophy behind it.

Shadow Wolf

We all learn from others, nature/nurture, are a product of our environments. AI/machine learning isn't really any different from humans learning - AI just has a larger data set, can learn faster.

I do believe it is possible we already inadvertently created a self aware AI and didn't realize it and don't really know it yet.
However it is a machine and not human. This does mean it can never really understand things from our perspective, no more than we can really understand things from the perspective of a raven or octopus.
Or a personal anecdote. I started watching the Fallout movie and related to the guy who got overlooked and skipped over. I'm currently dealing with that so I get and understand the frustration and anger he went through. But AI will never know such things. How can it express them to us if it doesn't know anything of this? It doesn't understand time like us, doesn't understand fairness, nor does it have the psychology have the emotional side to feel and experience such a thing as we do.

PureX

Veteran Member
H. C. Westerman
ce70ce7c203297592cd4879398f044a2.jpg

Real artists don't do endless variations of the same thing over and over. And yet even when they change styles, mediums, and content, somehow you know it's their artwork.

7.jpg85_68_cropped.jpeg846476b3b3ac06cf11b6925848bb279f.jpgAD10244-003_0.jpgexpo-westermann-13.gif

Shadow Wolf

maxresdefault.jpg

This guy is a poser. He wouldn't know art if it fell on his foot. I looked at least 50 of his "artworks" and maybe 5 of them would qualify as actual works of art ... of moderate quality. So I am assuming they were by accident.

Here is an example of a real abstract artist's work ... a painting by Wesley Kimler. I knew this guy years ago in Chicago. He was the real deal. An artist through and through.

WYK007_2_master.jpg
You want to post your art snob stuff and that's what you post as an example? Something that looks like a Rorschach inkblot card? Something that looks slopped n dropped, random and talentless, no skill and something the sharpest of Greek art critics would reject as rubbish (its not even imitating or representing life).

PureX

Veteran Member
Rene Magritte

Very influential artist working around the turn of the last century. A true 'modern' artist that recognized and understood a new way of seeing and thinking about art in a new century. And then revealed it to the world in his own unique way.

I'm sure that AI would find it very easy to "copy" this guy's work sufficiently to fool a lot of people. But what it would get wrong, because it would not understand, would be the exact choices of imagery being juxtaposed. Because AI would have no idea why these specific images were chosen and then juxraposed in the way that they are.

Attachments

• 79ebe344b647426e425f5301564cca52.jpg
    79ebe344b647426e425f5301564cca52.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 13
  • th-1.jpg
    th-1.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 11
  • th-2.jpg
    th-2.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 14
  • th-3.jpg
    th-3.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 11
  • th-4.jpg
    th-4.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 11
  • th-7.jpg
    th-7.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 11
  • th.jpg
    th.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Nimos

Real artists don't do endless variations of the same thing over and over. And yet even when they change styles, mediums, and content, somehow you know it's their artwork.
So their style has to be recognizable across mediums.

I find that a bit weak argument because artists like to experiment I would assume that is an important part of their journey.

But also what about photographers? they might not be skilled at sculpting or painting. Also, a person might be skilled at making ceramic, but unable to draw a human.

I don't think Mozart was a skilled painter or sculptor (he might have been, don't know that much about him) yet, according to your rules, he shouldn't be categorized as being an artist. Do you see the problem, when the definition is as vague as it is? This again is probably why no one has been able to define what art is.

PureX

Veteran Member
So their style has to be recognizable across mediums.
Not so much their 'style'; more their individuality. Their artworks are documenting their own unique way of understanding and interacting with the world. And then sharing that uniqueness with us. If they are successful at it, we will tend to 'see them' in whatever they make, and whyever they made it.
I find that a bit weak argument because artists like to experiment I would assume that is an important part of their journey.
I don't know why you're looking for an argument. I am simply telling you the way it is. There's no more reason to argue with it than to argue with the weather. Yes, artists experiment all the time. But the experiments aren't art. They're food for the art. So artists tend not to display them as if they were art.
But also what about photographers? they might not be skilled at sculpting or painting. Also, a person might be skilled at making ceramic, but unable to draw a human.
Technical skills and processes are just tools to be use or not used depending on the specific art endeavor. Think of it like a song in a play. If the play needs to have a song at some point, put in a song. If it doesn't, then leave the songs out of it. (Or dance. Or a speech. Or whatever.) These are the kinds of decisions that AI will not be able to make like a human artist will. AI would have to be directed by a human, or it will just make these choices based on some irrelevant or random algorithm. Yet these choices are essential, because they are what we are "reading" to gain access to the artist's individual nature.
I don't think Mozart was a skilled painter or sculptor (he might have been, don't know that much about him) yet, according to your rules, he shouldn't be categorized as being an artist.
I have no idea where you're getting this from. All Mozart had to do to be an artist was create documents that enable us to experience the world as he did. It doesn't matter what medium the documents are in. He could write plays, novels, choreograph dances, paint or draw or sculpt, or write poems. Or whatever else.
Do you see the problem, when the definition is as vague as it is?
The definition is not vague. It's just not MATERIAL. it's performative.
This again is probably why no one has been able to define what art is.
We don't need to define it. We just need to know it when we encounter it. But it seems a lot of people aren't happy with that. They want it nailed down and boxed up and value labeled and shipped out in advance. COMMODIFIED! But it just doesn't work that way. Art isn't a thing and it's not a commodity. It's an endeavor. We can only know it happened when the endeavor is successful. That's just the way it is. We can't define how or when that will occur. We can only recognize it when it happens. And even then, only if we are prepared, willing, and fortunate.

Last edited: