• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

AI music getting much better

Nimos

I posted a video some time ago, where I made a song using Suno which is a website where you can make music which is very fun I think, especially for people like me who knows nothing about it :D

Anyway, I decided to test it again, given I really enjoy all these AI tools, just to see how it had improved in this short period of time.

So this was one of the songs I made back then:
Something I noticed was that you could only make short songs and the quality is somewhat dodgy.

So this is a new one I made:
First of all the quality has greatly improved. Also, you can now extend your song for as long as you want, I think it is about 1 minute to begin with, but then you can extend it with new lyrics etc. And then combine it all into a whole song.

It is crazy how fast this technology is developing. If you can already make full songs now in just a few months, then I would almost expect that in 1-2 years you have programs like Spotify, that will just generate music on the fly based on whatever criteria you tell it.

At the top of the video, you can see the style of music I wanted and given I know nothing about music, I probably wrote some nonsense :D The Suno AI wrote the first verse and chorus and as I found out you could extend songs, I got ChatGPT to complete it.

Im honestly extremely impressed.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is crazy how fast this technology is developing. If you can already make full songs now in just a few months, then I would almost expect that in 1-2 years you have programs like Spotify, that will just generate music on the fly based on whatever criteria you tell it.
I hope not. The idea that the hours of training and the wealth of brilliance culminating in something like Pavoratii and Sutherland performing Verdi's Il Trovatore could be replaced by some audio gear and a bit of code sickens me.

idea

Question Everything
I hope not. The idea that the hours of training and the wealth of brilliance culminating in something like Pavoratii and Sutherland performing Verdi's Il Trovatore could be replaced by some audio gear and a bit of code sickens me.

Most popular music is quite simple, about emotions and stories, bonding with others who have experienced similar stories.

AI is created by everyone, learns from everyone, could be a way to bring people together, pull out of the madness what we all have in common.

Needs transparency in what sources were used, but I love AI.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I posted a video some time ago, where I made a song using Suno which is a website where you can make music which is very fun I think, especially for people like me who knows nothing about it :D
i wonder how using AI will change the usage of the term "create".
From what you describe, you did not Make" or "create" anything.
You merely provided some parameters and turned the actual creator loose...

Seems to me it does not even make it to the level of me giving a contractor a blueprint and then the contractor making the item based upon my blueprint.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Frankly I have no interest in anything AI that mimics art and writing. As a songwriter and musician I value what people can produce, and I really dread the damage to art that AI may cause.

I can appreciate that computers are designed and programmed to do these actions, I just don't see their value. I say put AI to work designing the representative districts for the 50 states so we can can avoid gerrymandering.

Nimos

It is an issue for sure and one that humanity will have to face.

But I don't think AI will remove talent from anyone. Mozart doesn't take away the talent from someone else either.

The other thing which I think is worth at least considering is that for some reason people get very upset by AI doing these things when talking about artists etc. Yet, there is no one yelling when a machine replaces a person in the supermarket or the factory? Is there a difference? Because the argument people seem to have against AI is purely related to the talent of a person rather than the individual.

Im not really for or against AI, I think it has a lot of potential but also comes with a lot of issues. But I also firmly believe that the discussion about this topic is far too late. It is not going anywhere and it is the new reality we have to deal with.

Nimos

Most popular music is quite simple, about emotions and stories, bonding with others who have experienced similar stories.

AI is created by everyone, learns from everyone, could be a way to bring people together, pull out of the madness what we all have in common.

Needs transparency in what sources were used, but I love AI.
I have no clue, I'm a tech nerd I love all these things. :D

Nimos

i wonder how using AI will change the usage of the term "create".
From what you describe, you did not Make" or "create" anything.
You merely provided some parameters and turned the actual creator loose...

Seems to me it does not even make it to the level of me giving a contractor a blueprint and then the contractor making the item based upon my blueprint.
You are correct, besides telling the AI to do it. I did nothing. Which is part of what makes these things impressive.

But again you can draw comparisons to so many other things where people don't do anything, besides either paying someone else to do it or someone creating an application that can do it for you. Yet, people take credit for whatever they do in those.

I don't disagree with you. But we constantly take credit for something someone else did. I think it is too easy to just point fingers at AI as being unique in this regard, where is the line here for when it is ok and when it is not?

Last edited:

Nimos

Frankly I have no interest in anything AI that mimics art and writing. As a songwriter and musician I value what people can produce, and I really dread the damage to art that AI may cause.

I can appreciate that computers are designed and programmed to do these actions, I just don't see their value. I say put AI to work designing the representative districts for the 50 states so we can can avoid gerrymandering.
Yes and no.

I am impressed with the technology of AI and what it can do. I don't look at myself and think "Wow I'm a real musician now". On the other hand, I don't think AI takes away anything from the musicians or the artists either.

But there does seem to be this kind of weird protection of artists that has never been applied to any other field where technology has been introduced. Kind of like people looking at artists as having talents and therefore should be "protected", but anyone else that has spent years learning something else non-artist related is perfectly fine to be replaced by machines and no one gives a rat's *** about them.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Yes and no.

I am impressed with the technology of AI and what it can do. I don't look at myself and think "Wow I'm a real musician now". On the other hand, I don't think AI takes away anything from the musicians or the artists either.

But there does seem to be this kind of weird protection of artists that has never been applied to any other field where technology has been introduced. Kind of like people looking at artists as having talents and therefore should be "protected", but anyone else that has spent years learning something else non-artist related is perfectly fine to be replaced by machines and no one gives a rat's *** about them.

It's the last thing uniquely "human".

Other animals don't create metaphorical art. Not the ways that we do.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Yes and no.

It depends on how society evolves. We saw the internet bring about stealing of music through websites, and that hurt musicians and record companies. I have some concern that AI will be programmed to design what is the most appealing to young listeners and they develop a habit of consuming what AI designs, and have a distaste for more complex and innovative music. There's already a lot of criticism of popular music that's written in a formulaic way and perfomed in a cliche manner.
Because when a person has vision and talent, and uses it to produce something they don't want it stolen and used by those who plagiarize. Heck, look at musicians who have sued each other for infringment. Some have won, some have lost. AI uses what has been created to mimic the patterns, not create something as an artist. There are currently some newspapers suing AI for infringement. I suspect music will follow.

Nimos

"AI music getting much better"

That's an unfortunate shame..
I think it is difficult because it also gives humans opportunities.

Let's say you wanted to create a computer game and you know how to program. It is extremely expensive to hire artists to do all the things you need. Yet with AI you actually have a chance to realize such things. If you want to create a movie, you can "soon" do that as well. AI has a lot of potential, also it can also help people not to rely on huge companies to dictate what can be done and what can't.

Sure, there are a lot of potential bad things coming with AI, but I think the good things outweigh the bad. And honestly, as things are going now, I don't really think we have a lot of years left before it is all AI and robots, 20-50 years or so. The amount of money being invested in robotics and AI now is insane. And the only reason as I see it, that they are so eager to make humanoid robots is to replace humans. Again, I think humans have to figure out what our role will be in the future when we are no longer able to compete. And I'm not talking about 100% human replacement, I think probably 20-30% is more than enough.

Nimos

I have no idea.
I am just curious what effect it will have on the usage of a few words
It is an interesting question for sure.

Maybe we have to look at it differently.

Let's say you were a movie producer and you get AI to create the special effects, music and sound effects, then that is still part of the movie. Lets say another movie producer makes an animated movie where everything is AI generated.

Where is the line? I have no clue.

Nimos

It depends on how society evolves. We saw the internet bring about stealing of music through websites, and that hurt musicians and record companies. I have some concern that AI will be programmed to design what is the most appealing to young listeners and they develop a habit of consuming what AI designs, and have a distaste for more complex and innovative music. There's already a lot of criticism of popular music that's written in a formulaic way and perfomed in a cliche manner.
Im pretty sure they already do this, I have at least seen some documentary about the movie industry and how extremely designed/produced it is. Again I'm not an expert on music by any means, so probably have to look more into this than I have.

Because when a person has vision and talent, and uses it to produce something they don't want it stolen and used by those who plagiarize. Heck, look at musicians who have sued each other for infringment. Some have won, some have lost. AI uses what has been created to mimic the patterns, not create something as an artist. There are currently some newspapers suing AI for infringement. I suspect music will follow.
I don't know. Because in theory, everyone who has ever posted an image on the internet can sue them. If I drew a cat and threw it on the internet, there is a good chance the AI would train on it, regardless of how poorly drawn it is, but I could claim that this is how my art looks, so now I sue them as well. Any family picture people have put on Facebook or wherever they also didn't agree to be used for AI training, so in theory everyone should sue them.

Im not defending the AI companies, because honestly, they could hire a lot of photographers to take pictures for them. Im just saying that I doubt the artists will win.

But again it is extremely complicated and also this is an international political issue, which makes it even less likely they will win.

Nimos

Ok tech nerd, I'm an old fart that has never messed with it.. so tell me how it works.
Does it self generate music, lyrics, etc or just remake them?
You just go here:
Suno

And then login with your google account that is easiest.

There is a create button that you can click. And then you can even get it to generate random lyrics and random style.

If you want to create a whole song, I just go here: Chatgpt login the same way with google, and then you just tell it to write a song and what you want it to be about :)

This is an example from my ChatGPT:

Chatgpt.png

You just write to it like you would a human. And then you just copy paste the lyrics it create into the Suno lyrics field and press create :D

(Both are free)

Suno uses a credit system so you get some free credits every day or something.

We Never Know

No Slack
You just go here:
Suno

And then login with your google account that is easiest.

There is a create button that you can click. And then you can even get it to generate random lyrics and random style.

If you want to create a whole song, I just go here: Chatgpt login the same way with google, and then you just tell it to write a song and what you want it to be about :)

This is an example from my ChatGPT:

View attachment 91204

You just write to it like you would a human. And then you just copy paste the lyrics it create into the Suno lyrics field and press create :D

(Both are free)

Suno uses a credit system so you get some free credits every day or something.
Not interested in trying it. Just interested in how's its done. Thanks.