• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Senator Tim Scott refuses to answer whether he will accept 2024 election results

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Because the ruling doesn't have to have come about as a case of fraud as such. That is so, because SC makes from time to time novel ruling without those be a case of wrong, fraud or whatever. Rather they decide and sometimes they decide in a manner some people don't like,

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Because the ruling doesn't have to have come about as a case of fraud as such. That is so, because SC makes from time to time novel ruling without those be a case of wrong, fraud or whatever. Rather they decide and sometimes they decide in a manner some people don't like,
Sorry, don't know what this means.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
No, that is not what I said. I said you trust the results unless there is good evidence there is fraud that could have change the results. Just like anything else.
Okay. So, millions of MAGAs still do not accept the 2020 election. There is no evidence it was fraudulent. There were 61 separate court cases evaluating those claims. In the face of that, do you really think that people will accept what they don't want, even if there is no evidence? I do not. That is just blatantly a fact on the ground right now, because those millions of MAGAs reject the evidence of the courts and continue to make the claim.
So your candidate's election loss was tarnished but no way Trumps could have been. ok

Ok, only dems get screwed right?
No -- but both Democrats got on television and accepted the results of their elections. Hillary said, "Last night, I congratulated Donald Trump and offered to work with him on behalf of our country. I hope that he will be a successful president for all Americans. This is not the outcome we wanted or we worked so hard for and I’m sorry that we did not win this election for the values we share and the vision we hold for our country.

Al Gore said, "Just moments ago, I spoke with George W. Bush and congratulatedhim on becoming the 43rd president of the United States. Neither he nor I anticipated this long and difficult road. Certainly neither of us wanted it to happen. Yet it came, and now it has ended, resolved, as it must be resolved, through the honored institutions of our democracy."

Gore also said this, in his speech: "Almost a century and a half ago, Senator Stephen Douglas told Abraham Lincoln, who had just defeated him for the presidency, 'Partisan feeling must yield to patriotism. I’m with you, Mr.President, and God bless you.'”

Find me Trump's equivalent concession speech.

The fact is, all these leaders, in the end, told Americans what they needed to hear -- that their institutions work and can and should be trusted. They all knew that is absolutely fundamental to faith in democracy, and they all took great care to make sure that they said that, not only to those who supported their opponents, but those who supported them, too.

All except Trump. And now he's infecting others, like Tim Scott, hoping to find advancement by hanging onto his coat-tails.

Last edited:

Clizby Wampuscat

Okay. So, millions of MAGAs still do not accept the 2020 election. There is no evidence it was fraudulent. There were 61 separate court cases evaluating those claims. In the face of that, do you really think that people will accept what they don't want, even if there is no evidence? I do not. That is just blatantly a fact on the ground right now, because those millions of MAGAs reject the evidence of the courts and continue to make the claim.
It is a fact that the state of PA changed election laws in violation of the US Constitution. This happened, SCOTUS elected not to hear the case.

There was fraud, whether it as enough to turn the election that is the debate. If you think any election has zero fraud you are naive.
No -- but both Democrats got on television and accepted the results of their elections. Hillary said, "Last night, I congratulated Donald Trump and offered to work with him on behalf of our country. I hope that he will be a successful president for all Americans. This is not the outcome we wanted or we worked so hard for and I’m sorry that we did not win this election for the values we share and the vision we hold for our country.

Al Gore said, "Just moments ago, I spoke with George W. Bush and congratulatedhim on becoming the 43rd president of the United States. Neither he nor I anticipated this long and difficult road. Certainly neither of us wanted it to happen. Yet it came, and now it has ended, resolved, as it must be resolved, through the honored institutions of our democracy."

Gore also said this, in his speech: "Almost a century and a half ago, Senator Stephen Douglas told Abraham Lincoln, who had just defeated him for the presidency, 'Partisan feeling must yield to patriotism. I’m with you, Mr.President, and God bless you.'”

Find me Trump's equivalent concession speech.

I would like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans, I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem. I immediately deployed the National Guard and federal law enforcement to secure the building and expel the intruders. America is and must always be a nation of law and order. The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engaged in the acts of violence and destruction, you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law, you will pay.

We have just been through an intense election and emotions are high. But now tempers must be cooled and calm restored. We must get on with the business of America. My campaign vigorously pursued every legal avenue to contest the election results. My only goal was to ensure the integrity of the vote. In so doing, I was fighting to defend American democracy. I continue to strongly believe that we must reform our election laws to verify the identity and eligibility of all voters and to ensure faith and confidence in all future elections.

Now, Congress has certified the results. A new administration will be inaugurated on January 20. My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth orderly and seamless transition of power. This moment calls for healing and reconciliation. 2020 has been a challenging time for our people. A menacing pandemic has upended the lives of our citizens, isolated millions in their homes, damaged our economy and claimed countless lives. Defeating this pandemic and rebuilding the greatest economy on earth will require all of us working together. It will require a renewed emphasis on the civic values of patriotism, faith, charity, community and family. We must revitalize the sacred bonds of love and loyalty that bind us together as one national family.

To the citizens of our country, serving as your president has been the honor of my lifetime. And to all of my wonderful supporters, I know you are disappointed, but I also want you to know that our incredible journey is only just beginning. Thank you, God bless you, and God bless America.

Trump, Jan 7th 2021. Sounds like he accepted the results.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It is a fact that the state of PA changed election laws in violation of the US Constitution. This happened, SCOTUS elected not to hear the case.

There was fraud, whether it as enough to turn the election that is the debate. If you think any election has zero fraud you are naive.

I would like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans, I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem. I immediately deployed the National Guard and federal law enforcement to secure the building and expel the intruders. America is and must always be a nation of law and order. The demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engaged in the acts of violence and destruction, you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law, you will pay.

We have just been through an intense election and emotions are high. But now tempers must be cooled and calm restored. We must get on with the business of America. My campaign vigorously pursued every legal avenue to contest the election results. My only goal was to ensure the integrity of the vote. In so doing, I was fighting to defend American democracy. I continue to strongly believe that we must reform our election laws to verify the identity and eligibility of all voters and to ensure faith and confidence in all future elections.

Now, Congress has certified the results. A new administration will be inaugurated on January 20. My focus now turns to ensuring a smooth orderly and seamless transition of power. This moment calls for healing and reconciliation. 2020 has been a challenging time for our people. A menacing pandemic has upended the lives of our citizens, isolated millions in their homes, damaged our economy and claimed countless lives. Defeating this pandemic and rebuilding the greatest economy on earth will require all of us working together. It will require a renewed emphasis on the civic values of patriotism, faith, charity, community and family. We must revitalize the sacred bonds of love and loyalty that bind us together as one national family.

To the citizens of our country, serving as your president has been the honor of my lifetime. And to all of my wonderful supporters, I know you are disappointed, but I also want you to know that our incredible journey is only just beginning. Thank you, God bless you, and God bless America.

Your worship runs deep, doesn't it? The day after he instigate an insurrection, he tries to remove blame from himself -- which has always been Trump to a "T." He does not ever mention President Biden -- nor did he say that the election was not stolen -- he merely acknowledged what could not be denied, that Congress certified the result.

Oh, and he reminded his drooling followers that "our incredible journey is only just beginning." He knew what he was implying, and his droolers heard what he wanted them to hear. The rest of us parse words a bit more carefully.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I am so reminded of a scene from Robert Bolt's "A Man for All Seasons," after Richard Rich has betrayed Sir Thomas More in order to win a sinecure.

One of my favorite movies, also for personal reasons. I was in love with two women, and they were disturbed enough to be in love with me, and I had to make a decision which way to go. About halfway through the movie, I made the decision to go with my wife now for 57 years. The next morning, I called the woman I had to leave, and it was the most depressing phone call of my life as I had to hurt someone I loved and still love.

About 5 years ago, the movie was on one of the cable channels, so I watched it. The early part of the movie was relatively new to me since my attention was elsewhere when I first watched it, although I've read a couple of books on Thomas More.

BTW, notice my signature statement at the bottom of my posts.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Trump is an idiot. If he had said 'I accept the outcome of the 2020 election. See you in 2024' this would all be moot.

But, his ego is to big for the 'loser' label. Must be some kind of childhood trauma.
His own sister said he has always been this entirely self-centered way. Ironically, "the Donald" says he's closer to her than to anyone else.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

It sounds to you like he accepted the results?

Weird, since to this day, he is still claiming that the 2016 election was rigged (and that if he loses the next one, it will be because it's also rigged). Funny thing, that.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
One of my favorite movies, also for personal reasons. I was in love with two women, and they were disturbed enough to be in love with me, and I had to make a decision which way to go. About halfway through the movie, I made the decision to go with my wife now for 57 years. The next morning, I called the woman I had to leave, and it was the most depressing phone call of my life as I had to hurt someone I loved and still love.

Reminds me of a joke ... (Brits will get it right away, I've added some notes for others).

John, who was a Cockney, was in love with two women, Jane and Maria. He just couldn't decide, and the pressure from the two women was getting to where he feared losing both of them. In desperation he decided to pray for an answer and went into a church, which happened to be Catholic. "Oh Lord", he cried "I love 'em both, 'oo (who) shall I 'ave (have)". He looked up and on the wall he saw his answer. "Ave Maria".

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
What is wrong with saying "I will accept the results if there is no good evidence of fraud that could change the outcome.
But that is not what Tim Scott said, he didn't say anything like that.

He could have said "We reserve the right to file court challenges if and when court challenges are appropriate, and we reserve the right to have recounts when and if recounts are appropriate. But of course I will accept the election after any appropriate challenges are completed."

But he did not say anything like that. That is not what Tim Scott said, and that is not what Donald Trump did in 2021. And clearly that is not what either of then intend to do after the 2024 election.

Of course as you point out this speech occurred on January 7th 2021. And if you consult your calendar you will discover that January 7th occurs after January 6th (every year).

Imagine if Trump had made a concession speech before sending people up to the capital to "fight like hell". Imagine if he had made a speech like that before he had Congress people object to the counting of ballots or before he tried to make Pence reject the results of a fair election.

And again, considering the matter of chronology, Trump did all these things after losing 60 court cases and after the recounts and audits showed that the election was done properly. And he still rejects the outcome of the election to this day.

And that is the contest in which Tim Scott refused to say he would accept the results of the 2024 election.

Clizby Wampuscat

Your worship runs deep, doesn't it? The day after he instigate an insurrection, he tries to remove blame from himself -- which has always been Trump to a "T." He does not ever mention President Biden -- nor did he say that the election was not stolen -- he merely acknowledged what could not be denied, that Congress certified the result.

Oh, and he reminded his drooling followers that "our incredible journey is only just beginning." He knew what he was implying, and his droolers heard what he wanted them to hear. The rest of us parse words a bit more carefully.
Ok, I think I upset you with kind words from President Trump where he condemns violence as well. The problem is that no matter what Trump does you will always interpret it as a negative somehow. I gave you what you asked for then you said that is not enough, he still sucks because he did not say the exact words you are looking for.

Clizby Wampuscat

It sounds to you like he accepted the results?

Weird, since to this day, he is still claiming that the 2016 election was rigged (and that if he loses the next one, it will be because it's also rigged). Funny thing, that.

I gave what was asked for. He conceded the election and allowed Biden to take office.

Wandering Monk

If the reps are serious about election fraud then let them suggest that all voting booths offer a paper record for each voter or some kind of receipt they can immediately and thereafter verify how they voted and can keep checking for a long time. Instead many red states have electronic machines which give no receipts, and to find out how your vote has been counted you must apply and wait for weeks for a reply.
Here are details about which states use what type of voting. The states methods are shown in the link below.

Optical scan paper ballot systems: Voters mark their votes by filling in an oval, box, or similar shape on a paper ballot. The paper ballots are scanned either at the polling place or at a central location.[1]
Direct recording electronic (DRE) systems: DRE systems employ computers that record votes directly into the computers' memory. These interfaces may incorporate touchscreens, dials, or mechanical buttons. The voter's choices are stored by the computer on a cartridge or hard drive. Some DRE systems are also equipped with Voter-Verified Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) printers, which produce paper records that can be preserved to be tabulated in case of an audit or recount.[1]
Ballot-marking devices and systems (BMDs): A BMD "allows for the electronic presentation of a ballot, electronic selection of valid contest options, and the production of a human-readable paper ballot, but does not make any other lasting record of the voter’s selections." Initially used primarily to accommodate voters with disabilities, BMDs are used by all voters in some locations.[1]​

Clizby Wampuscat

But that is not what Tim Scott said, he didn't say anything like that.
I never said he said that! Sheesh.
He could have said "We reserve the right to file court challenges if and when court challenges are appropriate, and we reserve the right to have recounts when and if recounts are appropriate. But of course I will accept the election after any appropriate challenges are completed."

But he did not say anything like that. That is not what Tim Scott said, and that is not what Donald Trump did in 2021. And clearly that is not what either of then intend to do after the 2024 election.

Of course as you point out this speech occurred on January 7th 2021. And if you consult your calendar you will discover that January 7th occurs after January 6th (every year).

Imagine if Trump had made a concession speech before sending people up to the capital to "fight like hell". Imagine if he had made a speech like that before he had Congress people object to the counting of ballots or before he tried to make Pence reject the results of a fair election.

And again, considering the matter of chronology, Trump did all these things after losing 60 court cases and after the recounts and audits showed that the election was done properly. And he still rejects the outcome of the election to this day.

And that is the contest in which Tim Scott refused to say he would accept the results of the 2024 election.
It took Gore 36 days to concede the election because he thought he had won. What is wrong with not conceding if you don't think the election was fair? You along with a lot of Trump supporters read into his comments and unfairly attribute alternate meanings to them. Many politicians have said fight like hell and none of them meant violence, especially when he said to protest peaceably,more than I can say for some democrats supporting violent protest.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I never said he said that! Sheesh.

It took Gore 36 days to concede the election because he thought he had won. What is wrong with not conceding if you don't think the election was fair? You along with a lot of Trump supporters read into his comments and unfairly attribute alternate meanings to them. Many politicians have said fight like hell and none of them meant violence, especially when he said to protest peaceably,more than I can say for some democrats supporting violent protest.
You act as if there is no context to Trump's words. Yes on Jan 7th he described the attack as "heinous" and he said he was "outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem.". But today he calls to who have been convicted of that heinous violence, lawlessness and mayhem as "hostages" and "political prisoners" and is promising to give them a pardon if he wins the Presidency.

So it is clear that Trump supported that violence then, and he supports it now.