• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Have You Ever Experienced Anti-White Racism?

Have you ever been the target of anti-white racism per the first definition in the OP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Broadly, some definitions posit that racism is a prejudiced or discriminatory attitude against members of a certain racial group, while others stipulate that such attitudes need to be accompanied by race-based structural or institutional inequalities in order to qualify as racism.

I tend to lean toward the former definition for reasons whose details bear no relevance to this thread, but based on that definition, have you ever been a target of anti-white racism? If so, how often, and in what context or contexts?

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes. Sometimes it was a problem, but mostly, its just assumptions about who I was or what I thought because I was white.

When I was a kid I had a Black classmate that would tell me over and over again why she couldn't stand white people. I would just nod. I was really shy and didn't know what to do about it. She never got physical, so I tolerated it.

Another memory was more funny than offensive. I drank heavily in my 20s, and was sitting out on the shared porch of the apartment building, likely to get away from the abusive turd I was with. I had a bottle of hard liquor, and was sipping from the bottle, enjoying the night air and peace.

My Black neighbor, who I got on well with, was having some friends to his house. One walked up, and started laughing at me. "Look, that white girl thinks she can drink!" My neighbor shook his head and said "that white girl will drink you under the table! You better leave her alone!" I smiled, tipped my bottle and winked. The man wiped the smirk off his face and went in.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm happy to say I cannot recall ever having been given a hard time just because I'm a white man.
Not even that time I when I was the only white person on a public bus in New Orleans. In fact, people around me were very happy. (Although I did tell them I was Canadian, I don't know if that made a difference.)

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I've spent quite a bit of time working in areas with a predominantly black demographic. I've experienced more than a few abuses ranging from being called the "n-word" and "massa" to having soft drinks or food thrown at me to being spit upon.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
A friend of mine had a brother who hated white people and would often say nasty things about white folks. Not sure why... His family was definitely not that way, and he himself was half white

That said, one day he got arrested and went to jail. He started running his mouth about white people and promptly had the snot kicked out of him by his cell mates. That changed him. After he got out of jail, the look in his eyes changed. He went crazy. He dove out of his dad's apartment window 3 stories up because the government put listening devices in the apartment. He then starting walking to my parents house (he knew about how to get there from when we were kids) which was miles away from where he lived then

Since then he went to a mental health facility. I hope he's doing ok

Other than that, not that I can recall. I've definitely been treated differently due to being white, but nothing really negative. Folks have always been respectful towards me, even when I'm the only white guy there

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I've spent quite a bit of time working in areas with a predominantly black demographic. I've experienced more than a few abuses ranging from being called the "n-word" and "massa" to having soft drinks or food thrown at me to being spit upon.

I can't even imagine that happening in my neck of the woods. Where were you, if you don't mind my asking?

libre

Skylark
Broadly, some definitions posit that racism is a prejudiced or discriminatory attitude against members of a certain racial group, while others stipulate that such attitudes need to be accompanied by race-based structural or institutional inequalities in order to qualify as racism.

I tend to lean toward the former definition for reasons whose details bear no relevance to this thread, but based on that definition, have you ever been a target of anti-white racism? If so, how often, and in what context or contexts?
I do believe it is correct that there needs to be structural power to lead to social inequities for it to constitute racism.

I've never experienced anything beyond very mild verbal harassment.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I went to an inner-city high school that was 95% Pakistani moslem and experienced anti-white racism there

Any moron can be a racist, no matter what their ethnicity is

Although its performance was relatively poor on the whole it was a nice school

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I do believe it is correct that there needs to be structural power to lead to social inequities for it to constitute racism.

I've never experienced anything beyond very mild verbal harassment.
I don't think I'd agree with that. If someone dislikes another person, without knowing anything about them other than their race or ethnic origin, I consider that racist. That person has not given the other the courtesy of first finding out if there's a real reason to dislike them.

To me, the power inequity just makes it that much more difficult for the victim to do anything or hope for remedy.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Sometimes it was a problem, but mostly, its just assumptions about who I was or what I thought because I was white.

I had this happen one time when I was invited to dinner by my friend's dad. This was before I learned that when you eat food with a Chamorro family, you get small plates. Getting seconds is seen as a respectful thing to do

I filled my plate and I was stuffed. The food was so good. Lots heavy food and lots of rice and meat. The dad asked if I wanted seconds, but I told him "I really appreciate it but I'm already full." He kept offering and I kept declining. My friend said "I think he's actually full dad" which he then replied "No, this is just how white people are polite." I then figured out what was going on and somehow found the willpower to power through another plate. In retrospect it's funny, but man at the time it was a struggle

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't know if I would define it as racism in the strictest sense, although I have found myself in places and situations where white faces were kind of rare. I can't say that I've experienced any overt hostility, but I could tell in some situations where people were kind of wondering what I was doing there.

There was a time when I was working as a substitute teacher in some pretty rough schools in California, where whites were a very small minority. But it really isn't like what movies or TV shows or even the news media would portray it as. Individual mileage may vary.

My mom told me that she once entered a shopping mall in south central L.A., and she saw some young black men giving her dirty looks and looking very hostile towards her, so she made a hasty retreat. That may be an indication of hostility towards whites, although whether it qualifies as racism may not necessarily be relevant. Even if one were to argue that, due to the absence of "race-based structural or institutional inequalities" it would not qualify as racism, it doesn't make such attitudes any less hostile or harmful.

Here's one I remember from working at a school on Cinco De Mayo many years ago. It was a high school, about 50% Hispanic, 30% black, and the remainder were mainly Asians and whites. As there had been violence in the past, particularly between black and Hispanic students, the school decided to turn it into a kind of multicultural awareness day, so that all cultures represented at the school could celebrate their culture and share in the diversity. It started off kind of nice. Some kids were setting up some booths with a diverse variety of foods from different countries. There were some Samoan-Americans who were preparing to perform a dancing ceremony from their culture. The Hispanic students put on a performance in the gym with Mexican folk dances and songs, with some of the black students in the audience behaving...less than politely. Not all of them, but there were just enough boneheads catcalling and heckling that it kind of soured the presentation. Afterwards, it was time for the black students to have their cultural performance, and just as they were getting started, many of the Hispanic students marched out of the gym, walking right through the blacks' performance, pushing people and making it clear that they were angry.

That's when all hell broke loose. It soon turned into a campus-wide riot, mainly between black and Hispanic students. The white and Asian students and most of the faculty just hid in locked-down classrooms and let the police handle things. It took more than 100 cops to restore order, but what a mess.

I don't know if an incident like that could be called racist, depending on how it's defined. But it was certainly bad, even if it's not specifically called racist. I think a lot of people might get a bit too overly attached to labels, and I've noticed a lot of handwringing over what to call things - as if that's somehow more important than what's actually going on.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member

I'll touch on a summarized and brief example of why I don't subscribe to that view, but I won't go further because that would be outside the scope of the OP.

Consider a hypothetical where a member of a racial majority were violently assaulted by a few members of a racial minority who shouted racial slurs during the assault. They were then arrested. Because the legal system was not systemically biased against the racial majority, their crime was not considered racist by the media.

I find the definition lacking and too disconnected from the experiences of laypeople—as opposed to the work of academics—who would probably pause and raise an eyebrow while asking why the racial abuse they experienced didn't qualify as racism. If definitions of such crucial terms become mired in technicalities and qualifiers to the point where they become counterintuitive and in need of academic reading to understand, I doubt that will help the discourse around the subject, at least not as much as it will obscure and isolate it from many people.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I had this happen one time when I was invited to dinner by my friend's dad. This was before I learned that when you eat food with a Chamorro family, you get small plates. Getting seconds is seen as a respectful thing to do

I filled my plate and I was stuffed. The food was so good. Lots heavy food and lots of rice and meat. The dad asked if I wanted seconds, but I told him "I really appreciate it but I'm already full." He kept offering and I kept declining. My friend said "I think he's actually full dad" which he then replied "No, this is just how white people are polite." I then figured out what was going on and somehow found the willpower to power through another plate. In retrospect it's funny, but man at the time it was a struggle

Interesting story. At least you managed to finish the second plate!

Declining the second plate is the polite thing to do where I'm from, too, as is offering more food when you're the host. Clearly, it's not just how "white people are polite!" :D

Viker

Häxan
Other than being called a white ***** a few times and a cracker once. No. I put 'other' because those derisions could be considered racist. I didn't take them seriously and they never harmed me.

BTW, I can be a ***** sometimes. So it's up to interpretation if putting white before ***** is actually racist. Anyone who is white and has a hick or southern accent may eventually be called a cracker. I still live in a border state that is both southern and midwestern (hick). The irony for me is that I am also Melungeon or have distant black ancestry.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I suppose I'll answer the thread question too.

When my best friend was still living here, we couldn't walk on most streets in my city because she would repeatedly get stared at and catcalled. When I wasn't walking with her, sometimes she would even get groped.

Sexual harassment is an epidemic here, but it was even more frequent in her case because she stood out due to being white. She was clearly fetishized by the harassers due to her appearance.

Two people I told about this said it was "sexism, not racism" and insisted that since glorification of white features was due to Eurocentric beauty standards, what happened wasn't an example of racism against a white person. I disagree. I think fetishizing someone based on their ethnicity is explicitly racist, especially when it leads to harassment. I also think it was an example of sexism; I don't believe that it has to be labeled sexism or racism rather than both.