• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

By the way -- if you claim to be a Christian...

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
As an atheist, I don’t claim to be a Christian.

Like Bertrand Russell, I tend to pick and choose, I suppose.

You could, of course, if you liked, say that there was a superior deity who gave orders to the God who made this world, or could take up the line that some of the gnostics took up—a line which I often thought was a very plausible one—that as a matter of fact this world that we know was made by the devil at a moment when God was not looking. There is a good deal to be said for that, and I am not concerned to refute it.

Bertrand Russell

Why I am not a Christian (1927)

"Gracias a diós y nuestro señor salvador, fue el diablo el que me enseñó a tocar violin."

"Thanks to God and our Lord Savior, it was the Devil who taught me how to play the violin"

Felipe Ibarra, violinista

(page 130)

Las amas de los violines 'negros'

Dr. Paloma Muñoz (Anthropologist)

PDF: repositorio.unicauca.edu.co:8080/bitstream/handle/123456789/2222/TESIS%2520PALOMA%2520MU%C3%91OZ%2520FINAL.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

I used to read some stuff by Bertrand Russell when I was younger (and an atheist, but trying to understand...). He was a good writer, but -- that's about it. I don't look into anything that claims satanic guidance or help. So have a nice day, bye for now.

YoursTrue

Now you just claimed that the "word of God" is frequently if not always wrong. Remember, it does not matter what you believe. What maters is if you can support your claims and I have never seen you do that. Why on Earth would you go on a debating site if all that you can ever do is to say "I believe"?
"support your claims" you say? "support your claims"??? yikes. Like do theories as to how or what happened in the universe and abiogenesis as well as the first items conceived on earth have support for claims? oh, maybe they're not claims -- only possibilities as posited by "scientists..."

Banach-Tarski Paradox

I used to read some stuff by Bertrand Russell when I was younger (and an atheist, but trying to understand...). He was a good writer, but -- that's about it. I don't look into anything that claims satanic guidance or help. So have a nice day, bye for now.

Principia Mathematica is a fun read.

Why it took 379 pages to prove 1+1=2​

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
"support your claims" you say? "support your claims"??? yikes. Like do theories as to how or what happened in the universe and abiogenesis as well as the first items conceived on earth have support for claims? oh, maybe they're not claims -- only possibilities as posited by "scientists..."
Of course they do. They would not be theories if they were not well supported. Even abiogenesis is supported with evidence. It is still in the hypothetical stage, meaning that some questions have been answered but not all of them.

This is rather frustrating because I have offered to go over the basics of science with you many times. If you knew the basics you would not have to even ask such questions.

YoursTrue

Of course they do. They would not be theories if they were not well supported. Even abiogenesis is supported with evidence. It is still in the hypothetical stage, meaning that some questions have been answered but not all of them.

This is rather frustrating because I have offered to go over the basics of science with you many times. If you knew the basics you would not have to even ask such questions.
You mean the theory like maybe DNA emerged from a chaotic soup? Sorry -- I mean RNA. :)

Last edited:

YoursTrue

OK, I'll go over the basics with you. You start -- you're the teacher, ok? Perhaps you can start a thread specifically for that...

YoursTrue

I hope you're ok, I'm looking forward to a fair game try on a thread where you will be doing the teaching and I'll be the student. What point of evolution would you like to start with?

YoursTrue

Very few people today actually read it. Those that do usually read the abbreviated version that only goes to *56. That means they don’t get to 1+1=2. The notation is outdated and the methods have been improved in the last century, so PM is mostly a historical curiosity.
Good. I have a lot of things to do, I enjoy reading but enough is enough sometimes. P.S. I couldn't possibly read everything I'd like to in this lifetime. And once this life is over, I fully expect to have the opportunity to enjoy life forever. On this earth.

Last edited:

Banach-Tarski Paradox

Very few people today actually read it. Those that do usually read the abbreviated version that only goes to *56. That means they don’t get to 1+1=2. The notation is outdated and the methods have been improved in the last century, so PM is mostly a historical curiosity.
It’s where I learned logic.

The Chicago Public Library had all three volumes when I was a kid.

I was told that I may be the only person to have ever learned logic from it a long, long time ago, but I didn’t think much of it at the time.

Many years later, after he passed away, when I mentioned it to another friend, I was told that if anybody in the world was in a position to know, it would have been him.

So who knows? Maybe I am the only one.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
It’s where I learned logic.

The Chicago Public Library had all three volumes when I was a kid.

I was told that I may be the only person to have ever learned logic from it a long, long time ago, but I didn’t think much of it at the time.

Many years later, after he passed away, when I mentioned it to another friend, I was told that if anybody in the world was in a position to know, it would have been him.

So who knows? Maybe I am the only one.

I learned truth tables before reading PM, but I read it very early on (when I was 14). I recall not liking the way descriptions were done--it went against the 'typographical' nature of the previous material.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Good. I have a lot of things to do, I enjoy reading but enough is enough sometimes. P.S. I couldn't possibly read everything I'd like to in this lifetime. And once this life is over, I fully expect to have the opportunity to enjoy life forever. On this earth.

I realized in my late teens that I would simply not have enough time to read all the books I would like to read. Even if I managed 2 books a week (which for technical books is very unrealistic), that gives about 100 per year. If I live to be 90 (good luck!), that leaves about 7000 more books to read (from age 20 to age 90). The local library had over a million books.

YoursTrue

I realized in my late teens that I would simply not have enough time to read all the books I would like to read. Even if I managed 2 books a week (which for technical books is very unrealistic), that gives about 100 per year. If I live to be 90 (good luck!), that leaves about 7000 more books to read (from age 20 to age 90). The local library had over a million books.
I'm impressed. Sometimes a topic interests me and I often take books out of the library or order them, and then I find it either so abstruse or boring that I read a few paragraphs and say so long to them. It's good to have an author in my opinion, who clearly delineates what he is talking about. And, since the topic of this thread is basically about Christianity, it is good to have someone as a teacher or guide who digs deeper into meanings in the Bible than I could.
One example I can think of is a biography of a composer I wanted to know more about. The book was large, but I was hoping I could get into it. I could not, I put it down after a few paragraphs, yet am still interested in finding out more about this composer. I look forward to the future that God promises in the Bible so I am looking forward to meeting this composer. :) Thank you for your reply.

jimb

Premium Member
Regarding the OP... I don't "claim" to be a Christian, I am a Christian.

Why do you claim to be a human?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Regarding the OP... I don't "claim" to be a Christian, I am a Christian.

Why do you claim to be a human?
I do not think that anyone is denying that you are a Christian. In fact the only ones that I ever see that claim that certain people who claim to be Christians are not Christians would be other Christians themselves. I have never seen an atheist claim that someone who says that he is a Christian is not one. The OP may be the sort of Christian that denies the Christianity of others.

At least I believe that you are a Christian too. I cannot "know" it. But there is no way I am going to dispute your claim.

EDIT: I hope that it was just a poorly worded original post by the original poster. I would give her the benefit of the doubt that she did not mean to imply that you are not a Christian.