• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You've won the Lottery...now what

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
So I've got a lotto ticket in my wallet. Somewhere someone in Canada has won 10 million. And as I've pondered and thought about many times, what would I do if I won. I'm going to break this down into some catagories and see what people think. You've won 10 million so...

1) What would be four of the first major things you would do for yourself and your family?
  • Build my dream house. I'm an architectural draftsman so I've already got the blueprints for it.
  • Get my mother into a nice house.
  • Travel...oh how I want to travel the world.
  • Get my Step mother into a place she can get help and bring my step father to live with us.
2) What organizations would you donate to (up to 4)?
  • My wife wants to donate and volunteer for V-Day.
  • I don't know what other three, but I would get involved with Children charities.
3) Any investing ideas?
  • None, but you can be damned sure I would do some serious investigation, and study before I did anything.

jimbob

The Celt
I would put a bunch aside for bills in the future. That way, if something were to ever happen, you'd have some backup money.

Ori

Angel slayer
I would buy a house and farm in Japan.
Then I would set up a charity with the remaining money.

Loki

If i won alarge sum on the lottery, I would do a few things:

1.) Purchase a Nissan Micra. Most people would want a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, or somehting of that calibre, however, I'd be happy with a Micra. i know that a flash car wouldn't make me happy, and a good ol' Micra is the car I would want. If I wanted to be flash, I'd buy a VW hippy bus, and maybe a DMC-12, (Purely so I can say I've got one.) but the Micra would probably be enough for me.

2.) Have a custom-built guitar. I love playing guitar, and i'd commission a really good guitar builder to make a cool acoustic guitar, withsome exotic woods, intricate inlay work etc. This would be my only bling bling, but the idea would be to get a perfect sounding guitar which is beautiful.

3.) Have a custom built dream house. Everyone wants a house, but for me, a nice big-ish one would do, and I'd like a comfortable lounge w/o a TV, and a kitchen which has an Aga oven, and it well equipped, as well as a nice bathroom. Other than that, I don't need it to be overly flash.

4.) Buy a curry. I'd go down to the local tandoori, and get a nice curry, a naan, some rice and a pint of two of kingfisher. It would be nice!

jewscout

Religious Zionist
first, give 10% to Magen David Adom in Israel
then pay off all my debts, get me a place near the shul
probably buy a few personal effects
then i'd just give the rest to KBI...

A

angellous_evangellous

1) A really cool home is a nice start

2) I too would like to travel, and would likely spend my whole life travelling if I won the lottery, which may entirely void #1, unless of course I lived on a boat or something

3) I would also build a custom acoustic guitar, but I would have several built. I would like a custom guitar made out of every tonewood available (heck, with ten million, I could do it!). Also, I would manage a guitar shop so anyone could come in and play.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
1) By a house for both our sons

2)Buy a house for marie & me - which has a 'granny annexe' for Marie's Mum.

3) put the bulk of the money in trust for our sons and their children.

4) maybe Marie & Ihave a holiday.:)

Loki

hehe, my guitar would be cool! I'd have an artist design acool landscape picture to be inlaid into the fingerboard in a variety of woods, metals and gemstones!

Oh, i also forgot to mention that I'd use my money to put me through university!

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
First there would be a lot of hugging my wife and jumping and screaming. Then would come LOTS of phone calls from relatives we've never met.:p

First, we'd give 10% to our church.:162:
Next we'd pay off ours debts and those of our immediate family.
Then we'd set aside enough to invest such that the interest and dividends would pay for a comfortable living without us having to work again.
Only then would we start buying neat stuff and traveling. There's nothing wrong with having fun, but it's best to do things in the right order.:)

Zephyr

Moved on
A1) Send my parents to a retirement home.
A2) Bank. If I can get 1% a year, Bam! A comfortable 100k to support my family for life.
A3) Seeing as I wll find myself completely unable to spend maybe 30k a year, get a few hundred dollars worth of pennies, melt them down, and make a giant robotic parrot.
A4) Send previously mentioned parrot to my sister to be her trusty steed.

B1) Pay the poor rate.
B2) Build a soup kitchen.
B3) Invest around 1,000 dollars into top ramen. Yay! Endless noodles!

Investment: See #A2

Caprice

1) I'd pay off all of my family's outstanding financial obligations.
2) I'd buy this: 2003 Oldsmobile Aurora (gotta be a little selfish)
3) Buy our home outright (my dad currently owns it because we couldn't get a proper loan)

Pussyfoot Mouse

Super Mom
I would pay off all my bills and my mortgage. Then I would take my kids anywhere they want to go for a month long holiday. Then I would open my own daycare centre..."Lola's Lullabye's". I used to have my own daycare before I moved all the way up north. I miss the kids! With the rest, I would put it in the bank and live off the interest!

Caprice

Zephyr said:
Why do people always want cars?
Cars can be cool, especially if one has the money to mod it if desired and keep it in good repair.

Pussyfoot Mouse said:
Then I would open my own daycare centre...
Owning/operating a daycare sounds like fun, something I wouldn't mind doing if I didn't have to keep the job I have today just to pay bills and keep insurance going.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I would pay my car off and get it fixed up and tricked out.
I would pay off my parents and brothers debts.
I would buy my own home.
I would pay to train under a better pro-wrestling promotion.
Invest half of it in CDs, stock market, etc.
Buy many things I want.
But first thing I would do, is I would go to the Arbys I work at, and tell the AM to go f* off.
Then I would save whats left.