• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your vision of hell?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
I view the concept of hell as the darkest thing that humanity has thought up. To me it represents the darkest and most evil aspects of the human spirit.

I participate to shed light on it.

-Lyn

To shed light unto darkness.
Really?....

And yet you don't believe in greater beings?

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
To shed light unto darkness.
Really?....

And yet you don't believe in greater beings?
Greater beings? Well, my guess would be that there are aliens out there that are greater than us. I doubt we're the coolest ones in the universe.

Light is shed on things through reason and love.

-Lyn

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Greater beings? Well, my guess would be that there are aliens out there that are greater than us. I doubt we're the coolest ones in the universe.

Light is shed on things through reason and love.

-Lyn

You would believe in aliens you have not seen?
And then deny a spiritual life...you have not seen?

Tyr

Proud viking :D:D
If there was a hell, It would be where you can do everything fun that religions restrict you from participating in, sounds like an awesome place to be for eternity.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I still believe that Hell is a separation from God - which means a separation from love, peace, kindness and happiness.
I don't believe it is literally a burning hole, but that you will feel in your heart that you are without God.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I still believe that Hell is a separation from God - which means a separation from love, peace, kindness and happiness.
I don't believe it is literally a burning hole, but that you will feel in your heart that you are without God.

How would that feeling differ to what an atheist experiences on earth?

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
Because an Atheist still has God's love, he just doesn't acknowledge it.

Yes, but I think most atheists would say that they feel no connection with God. Would this feeling of disconnection be the same feeling in hell? What would be the difference in experience be for a person who does not feel connected to God now compared to in hell?

Nerthus

Wanderlust
Yes, but I think most atheists would say that they feel no connection with God. Would this feeling of disconnection be the same feeling in hell? What would be the difference in experience be for a person who does not feel connected to God now compared to in hell?

No, because although they might feel they have no connection, it is still there.

You can't always feel another persons love if you constantly push them away and don't let them in, yet when they are no longer there, you realise that they did have a big impact on you. Not sure if I have explained that very well.

Gods love is always there and, although you might not know it, you will when it is gone.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
No, because although they might feel they have no connection, it is still there.

You can't always feel another persons love if you constantly push them away and don't let them in, yet when they are no longer there, you realise that they did have a big impact on you. Not sure if I have explained that very well.

Gods love is always there and, although you might not know it, you will when it is gone.

I wonder what it would be like to not have God's love. What's the difference in feeling God's love and another person's love? Can you fall in love in hell? What do you believe hell is like? Is it a planet or a state of existence?

Misty

I wonder what it would be like to not have God's love. What's the difference in feeling God's love and another person's love? Can you fall in love in hell? What do you believe hell is like? Is it a planet or a state of existence?

I should think some people's lives down here are a living hell!

Nerthus

Wanderlust

You're just following me around today aren't you!

I believe Hell is emptiness. But one cannot not that for sure, until they are there can there? Everyone has their own idea about it, and this is mine.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
You're just following me around today aren't you!

I believe Hell is emptiness. But one cannot not that for sure, until they are there can there? Everyone has their own idea about it, and this is mine.

I promise I'm not stalking you!
There just haven't been many people or conversations going for a few hours.

My problem with these explanations is that they are so ambiguous and vague. I mean, what do you mean by 'emptiness'? That can be interpreted in so many ways because it doesn't really mean much. I'm just looking for more in depth understanding into these religious ideas.

Nerthus

Wanderlust
I promise I'm not stalking you!
There just haven't been many people or conversations going for a few hours.

My problem with these explanations is that they are so ambiguous and vague. I mean, what do you mean by 'emptiness'? That can be interpreted in so many ways because it doesn't really mean much. I'm just looking for more in depth understanding into these religious ideas.

I see it as nothingness, that people are left feeling emotionally empty as well as there physical surroundings being empty - not as in that there is no physical structure around, but that there are perhaps no people, that you are just left to wonder without cause. But, it could be that there are others around, but you don't mix with them and you all are on your own.

I don't like to think of Hell much to be honest, so I don't have an exact idea in my mind of what I imagine it to be like. But, I can't remember the name of the film - with Will Smith I think, where he finds himself alone, no one around. I imagine that to be like Hell. Just emptiness and loneliness.

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
I see it as nothingness, that people are left feeling emotionally empty as well as there physical surroundings being empty - not as in that there is no physical structure around, but that there are perhaps no people, that you are just left to wonder without cause. But, it could be that there are others around, but you don't mix with them and you all are on your own.

I don't like to think of Hell much to be honest, so I don't have an exact idea in my mind of what I imagine it to be like. But, I can't remember the name of the film - with Will Smith I think, where he finds himself alone, no one around. I imagine that to be like Hell. Just emptiness and loneliness.

You mean I Am Legend? Actually your description reminded me of the film with Robin Williams in it 'What Dreams May Come'. So it's kind of like being very depressed, where you feel that you can't do anything, everything is hopeless.

What is your opinion of the Christian idea that one remains in hell for eternity? Do you think it's a fair punishment?

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
Almost eighty postings and denial is at hand.

I can't but wonder.

If denial was really a belief....why so much participation?

Perhaps, the saying so, is a self comfort.
Deny there is a hell of any kind....
and it won't be there waiting for you.
Really?
Naw, we just like to watch y'all try to crawfish your way out of logical arguments.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Naw, we just like to watch y'all try to crawfish your way out of logical arguments.

Did you say logic?...post #23...this thread....

Hell would be the absence of the one item you love most.
Would that one Item be....God?

When you share your presence with someone else...
that is a judgment call.
When you deny your presence and forbid they follow....
that is a judgment call.

God and His angels pick and chose.

Doesn't God have what it takes to go on without you?....forever?