• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your views on : Ernest L. Wilkinson

Bishka

Veteran Member
I've been reading "David O. McKay and the Rise of Modern Mormonism," and have come across some very interesting things about President Wilkinson (President of BYU at one time) and thought I'd ask anyone else what they thought about him.

SoyLeche

meh...
Other then the fact that the student center at BYU is named after him I don't know much about him.

What are some things that you have found interesting?

Bishka

Veteran Member
Other then the fact that the student center at BYU is named after him I don't know much about him.

What are some things that you have found interesting?

A few:

• The dozens of times he circumvented the Quorum of the Twelve on decisions that had already been made
  • President McKay would ask him not to do something, but he would do it anyways
and the biggest one....
  • Student spy scandal. He asked students to spy on teachers that he thought were too "liberal-leaning" because he knew President McKay was against communism and was basically trying to get them to show that these teachers were teaching "communist" ideas.
I am sure that Kathryn and Jonny may have a bit more to say; especially Jonny as he has read the book that I'm referring too! Let me dig up some of the passages I was talking about.

jonny

My feelings on Wilkinson are kind of mixed. He really put things in motion to make BYU what it is today. Who knows what would have happened to the school without him. On the other hand, he came across as pretty power hungry in the McKay book. Some of the quotes out of his diary just blew me away. I don't know if the book really gives a balanced look at Wilkinson, so I'm not sure what to believe. It was published by The U after all. :)

Bishka

Veteran Member
My feelings on Wilkinson are kind of mixed. He really put things in motion to make BYU what it is today. Who knows what would have happened to the school without him. On the other hand, he came across as pretty power hungry in the McKay book. Some of the quotes out of his diary just blew me away. I don't know if the book really gives a balanced look at Wilkinson, so I'm not sure what to believe. It was published by The U after all. :)

Quite true, I might have to pick up a biography on Wilkinson to balance it all out.