• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

your religion's response to simulation theory being true?

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Question: How do you think your religion should respond to Simulation Theory being true?

If Simulation Theory (the notion that this reality is a computer simulation) turned out to be true, what would be the consequences, regarding your religion, or lack thereof?

I am very interested in the possibility of (this) reality being a simulation.

On balance, I honestly don't think it is, but I think it is possible. Certainly.

Anyway, I live my life as a Christian!

However: I think that each of the world's religions need to discuss what would happen if it turns out that this reality is simulated - so that they are prepared for the truth, should the truth ever emerge

And perhaps they should come up with a common answer? Perhaps sim theory could somehow bring the world's religions together?

Here are some issues that may pop up:

What would it do to the concept of God?
What about scripture?
What about the after-life?
What about ethics, and morality?
How would it change how we understand reality?
And the nature of the universe?
What about the purpose of existence and there meaning of life?

If reality is simulated, what do we worship, if anything? - does one still need to go to church, synagogue, mosque, or temple?

Do we worship the Computer God - or do we worship a Supreme Being who exists in the world outside The Simulation?

What are the implications regarding how we should treat each other?

I think that it is a very real possibility that we are living in a simulation and that if we are then this being known would change everything! - religions therefore need a response!

This is my contribution:

I have made a whole website about the relationship between humans and The Simulation (if it exists) and also about what happens with religion, if we accept Simulation Theory.

I made it when I believed in sim theory and then abandoned it when I stopped believing in it but have since resurrected it.

Truth be told, this website of mine is primarily an exercise in creative writing, but it could all be true, who knows!

Here is the link: voiceofthesimulation.com

Altfish

Veteran Member
Question: How do you think your religion should respond to Simulation Theory being true?

If Simulation Theory (the notion that this reality is a computer simulation) turned out to be true, what would be the consequences, regarding your religion, or lack thereof?

On balance, I honestly don't think it is, but I think it is possible. Certainly.

However: I think that each of the world's religions need to discuss what would happen if it turns out that this reality is simulated - so that they are prepared for the truth, should the truth ever emerge

And perhaps they should come up with a common answer? Perhaps sim theory could somehow bring the world's religions together?

What about scripture?

If reality is simulated, what do we worship, if anything? - does one still need to go to church, synagogue, mosque, or temple?

Do we worship the Computer God - or do we worship a Supreme Being who exists in the world outside The Simulation?

I think that it is a very real possibility that we are living in a simulation and that if we are then this being known would change everything! - religions therefore need a response!

This is my contribution:

I have made a whole website about the relationship between humans and The Simulation (if it exists) and also about what happens with religion, if we accept Simulation Theory.

I made it when I believed in sim theory and then abandoned it when I stopped believing in it but have since resurrected it.

Truth be told, this website of mine is primarily an exercise in creative writing, but it could all be true, who knows!

Humanists response: -

What evidence do you have?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

What about scripture?

This is my contribution:

Are you suggesting the entire universe is a simulation which has existed for 13+ billion years? In The Matrix there was a "real world" which was destroyed in the war between humans and machines. Most of human history occurred in the real world, while it was only a recent development that humans were put inside the Matrix (within the context of the story). The humans' residual self image (the form they take inside the Matrix) is comparable to their real bodies plugged in at the power plant. The Matrix simulation was a simulation of an actual "real world" which existed.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Are you suggesting the entire universe is a simulation which has existed for 13+ billion years?
No

See this link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphalos_hypothesis

If sim theory is true then I imagine that only the last several thousand years have been simulated

Also, I believe that 2 Peter 3:8 would apply to any simulation as well as to any Supreme Being:

But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day.

So, perhaps a thousand years in our time is only (say for instance) a decade's time in the world outside?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Are you suggesting the entire universe is a simulation which has existed for 13+ billion years? In The Matrix there was a "real world" which was destroyed in the war between humans and machines. Most of human history occurred in the real world, while it was only a recent development that humans were put inside the Matrix (within the context of the story). The humans' residual self image (the form they take inside the Matrix) is comparable to their real bodies plugged in at the power plant. The Matrix simulation was a simulation of an actual "real world" which existed.
I think someone took both the red and the blue pill.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hinduism has been responding to it for 5,000 years. It’s called māyā, the illusion that the world is real. The world is the leela, the play, entertainment of Brahman. Brahman is the ultimate video game programmer. It’s created because that’s what Brahman does... creates, makes illusions. Once we (our true selves) obtain moksha, liberation, we see the illusion or simulation for what it is, and we see reality. We see we were in a simulation. That’s Hinduism’s response.

Altfish

Veteran Member
That's very sensible :)

But how would you react if undeniable evidence was presented?

What would that do to Humanism?
I would accept the evidence, as I'm sure most Humanists would after it has been rigorously tested and proven.
Not sure what it would do to Humanism, we still have a life to live, so Humanist principles should still apply.
I think religions would have the most soul searching to do.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I kind of see my religious philosophy (Advaita Vedanta) as being the most compatible with the simulation theory.

The universe is a grand-thoughtform of Brahman and Brahman is then the programmer of the simulation.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

What about scripture?

This is my contribution:

Atheist software solution architects respond : Have you set up a protocol so I can log bugs? I've found a LOT of them during acceptance testing.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think that each of the world's religions need to discuss what would happen if it turns out that this reality is simulated - so that they are prepared for the truth, should the truth ever emerge

What about scripture?
Scripture: unchanged except that there would be a footnote
After-life: unchanged either way
Ethics: different
Morality: same
understanding of reality: different
nature of the universe: different

Ethics change. We suddenly have to care about video game characters, because they are like us. We have to care about people we paint, because they are like us.

Understanding of reality: Changes, because there is a new layer of reality. Our reality is thought to be a consistent system, however no system can prove itself to be consistent. This means that what is true here may not be true in an outer reality. Which means nothing here can be considered true at all, if we are in a simulation. It becomes very likely that we are entirely irrelevant.

Nature of the universe: As in the previous explanation, the laws of the universe here are not relevant just as the rules of a video game are irrelevant.