• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your 'primary' scripture(s)?

Kapalika

Premium Member
I'm curious what everyone's main scripture(s) is that they look to, in their beliefs and practices. For me it's Vasugupta's writings above all else. What about you?

Terese

Mangalam Pundarikakshah
Staff member
Premium Member
Upanishads, Pancharatra Agamas, Srimad Bhagavatam, Bhagavad Gita, Divya Prabhandam.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Bhagavad Gita, Bhagavata Purana, Upanishads to a much lesser extent. I am only familiar with snippets of them.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Tirumanthiram, followed by Tirumurai, and then probably the collected works of my Guru. Vedas and Agamas too, but they're far more difficult.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Vedas are easy, Vinayaka, especially the RigVeda; but they are not for beginners. They become difficult when one tries to find esoteric meanings in them. Basically, RigVeda hymns are prayers of a herder community for their Gods. That does not mean that they are devoid of lofty thoughts.

Last edited:

Shantanu

I'm curious what everyone's main scripture(s) is that they look to, in their beliefs and practices. For me it's Vasugupta's writings above all else. What about you?
I draw a lot of inspiration from snippets of various scriptures such as the Upanishads and the Bhagavad Gita but the two epics that I draw upon for dharma are the Mahabharatta and the Ramayana.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Basically, RigVeda hymns are prayers of herder community for their Gods.

The Shanti mantras/prayers are very nice. I have them in my collection. :)

Auṃ śaṃ no mitraḥ śaṃ varuṇaḥ |
śaṃ no bhavatvaryamā |
śaṃ na indro bṛhaspatiḥ |
śaṃ no viṣṇururukramaḥ |
namo brahmaṇe |
namaste vāyo |
tvameva pratyakṣaṃ bhrahmāsi |
tvāmeva pratyakṣam brahma vadiṣyāmi |
ṝtaṃ vadiṣyāmi |
satyaṃ vadiṣyāmi |
tanmāmavatu |
tadvaktāramavatu |
avatu mām |
avatu vaktāram |
Auṃ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ ||

Aum May Mitra be blissful to us. May Varuna be blissful to us.
May Aryaman be blissful to us.
May Indra and Brihaspati be blissful to us.
May Vishnu, of long strides, be blissful to us.
Salutation to Brahman.
Salutation to you, O Vayu.
You, indeed, are the immediate Brahman. You alone I shall call the direct Brahman.
I shall call you righteousness. I shall call you truth.
May He protect me.
May He protect the reciter.
May He protect me.
May He protect the reciter.
Aum, peace, peace, peace

oṃ dyauḥ śāntirantarikṣaṃ śāntiḥ
pṛthivī śāntirāpaḥ śāntiroṣadhayaḥ śāntiḥ
vanaspatayaḥ śāntirviśvedevāḥ śāntirbrahma śāntiḥ
sarvaṃ śāntiḥ śāntireva śāntiḥ sā mā śāntiredhi
oṃ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ śāntiḥ

May peace radiate there in the whole sky as well as in the vast ethereal space everywhere.
May peace reign all over this earth, in water and in all herbs, trees and creepers.
May peace flow over the whole universe.
May peace be in the Supreme Being Brahman.
And may there always exist in all peace and peace alone.
Aum peace, peace and peace to us and all beings!

They become difficult when one tries to find esoteric meanings in them.

Yes, what I do read I take at face value. If I can't, I skip.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, they are very nice. They are in Upanishads. Most Upanishads were written after Aryans had settled in India and had interacted with the indigenous views and philosophies. Though they are considered a part of Vedas (Shruti).

Satyamavejayanti

Namaste,

For me the Gita is first and foremost, its the only "Scripture", i constantly go to for guidance.

The Upanishads would come in second although i don't always get a chance to read it, and the Samhita texts after that, of the Samhitas i would say the Sukla Yajur Veda i would be more inclined to read as it being smaller in content and size then the others.

But i don't limit my self to just a few texts, these are just in my most read pile.

I don't look at the Gita/Upanishads/Veda ect as a text that strengthens my "beliefs", I find these actually remove much of my beliefs, and actually guides me towards a much more practical life, advising and emphasising more on experience rather then belief.

Dhanyavad

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
My primary scriptures are 'Ananda Sutram' (or 'A Commentary on Ananda Sutram') and the series 'Subhasita Samgraha'.

But I will also sometimes read from 'Ananda Vacanamrtam' or the 'Bhagavad Gita'.
Also inspiring for me are 'Namah Shivaya Shantaya', 'Namami Krishna Sundaram' and 'Discourses on Tantra'.

Last edited: