• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your most intense experience with deities/spirits

Theweirdtophat

If any here has experience dealing with deities and spirits, what was your most intense experience with them? Was it in the living world, in dreams, visions? What happened and how realistic was it?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If any here has experience dealing with deities and spirits, what was your most intense experience with them? Was it in the living world, in dreams, visions? What happened and how realistic was it?

I'm obsessed over this RF or just can't get any sleep.

Anyway, I'll try and keep it short. I had two extreme experiences I can think of at the top of my head.

Being pulled back by a spirit as to not get ran over by a car and being held down in bed.

The first one was so real that I actually felt a person's palm on my shoulder yanking me back. It wasn't supernatural type of thing as in seeing a spirit. It was more you can feel the imprint of his (I think is) hand and the digging of his fingers under my bones. I jumped back and the first thing I thought was "thank you grandma". Maybe the strength made me think their spirits were male or the strength. I dont know why I said thank you grandma automatically but I was told not to question it; let it go.

The second was not a dream. I remember other people having this same thing but I cant pen point it to neurology or anything. It's like someone is litereally over you, holding your wrists to the bed while you're on your back. You can't get up because your body is like lead. It's like surreal even though I never was in bed to "go to sleep" and wasn't tired.

Out of both of them, I'd say the first was more realistic. I'd say that is more factual the latter. Maybe because that happened two years ago and the latter happened when I was a teen.

Thana

Lady

I don't know.. I don't really like to talk about them. There really aren't any words to describe them anyway.

I'm kind of seeing a theme with your threads, Are you having thoughts about believing in God/s?

Jedster

I went out one evening to the 7-11 to get some milk. It was about 11pm and as I was walking back home, I suddenly felt my walking pace slow down. It was involuntary, i.e. it felt like I was not in control of my walking.
So I suddenly notice a car driving by with someone waving and pointing a gun towards me. Believe it or not, I felt very centred and surmised that if I slow down more any bullet will not hit me.(The car was driving quite fast)
He fired the gun and the bullet hit a wall before I arrived at the spot.
To me this all seemed to take place in slow motion.

I stood still for a few seconds wondering if I was dreaming, then walked on. There was someone sitting nearby in a car who witnessed the whole episode. He told me that sometime crack-heads went on a shooting spree in the are.(Tooting, SW Lnndon for Brits here).
The strange thing is that I forgot about for 6 months.

God or spirit...I have no idea

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I went out one evening to the 7-11 to get some milk. It was about 11pm and as I was walking back home, I suddenly felt my walking pace slow down. It was involuntary, i.e. it felt like I was not in control of my walking.
So I suddenly notice a car driving by with someone waving and pointing a gun towards me. Believe it or not, I felt very centred and surmised that if I slow down more any bullet will not hit me.(The car was driving quite fast)
He fired the gun and the bullet hit a wall before I arrived at the spot.
To me this all seemed to take place in slow motion.

I stood still for a few seconds wondering if I was dreaming, then walked on. There was someone sitting nearby in a car who witnessed the whole episode. He told me that sometime crack-heads went on a shooting spree in the are.(Tooting, SW Lnndon for Brits here).
The strange thing is that I forgot about for 6 months.

God or spirit...I have no idea
Great story. Guardian angels are out there I believe. I have heard many similar stories where it seems it wasn't the person's time to die and something outside of 'normal' seems to occur. For those of us that believe there is life beyond the physical plane, these things make some sense.

rocala

In my twenties I was very interested in spiritualism and attended several seances. Mostly this was with a local group of around twelve people. Their system was to all sit in a circle in the dark and wait for contact. When this happened you were supposed to speak aloud the message given to you.

I never had any contact but still enjoyed listening to the occasional message. One evening I was just sitting and feeling incredibly good I was really getting into being there in a way that I can only describe as blissful. I remember a sensation of leaning back, almost as if slowly lying down and it was wonderful. It did not enter my head that all this was entirely unnatural. All of a sudden I was back to reality and somebody was touching my arm. It was Sam, the man who ran the seances. He whispered "it's o.k. you are all right". I was now sitting in the dark wondering what the hell had happened.

After the lights went back on I asked my friend if I had made any sound. He said no and was unaware of what had happened. I went to ask Sam about it but all he would say was "you are nearly there". On the way home I started to feel very scared and never went back.

I have no idea what happened that evening, it has been suggested that I had slipped into a deep meditative state. But if that is the case how did Sam know something was going on?

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Had many experiences, the thing that has blown my head the most, is either the NDE or God speaking to me through the walls of reality. :innocent:

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I once had a very vivid dream involving Vishnu and Shiva. I was visiting Mount Kailāśa. Shiva was reclining in the snow. I somehow knew Mā Pārvatī was off on some errand; I was disappointed to have missed meeting her. Not long after, Vishnu arrived in a chariot, dressed resplendently. The dream ended that way.

Another time I was quite awake when Thórr "whomped me upside the head". I felt his presence very strongly and at that moment he became my fulltrui, "fully trusted one" ( the word 'patron' is generally frowned upon).

Being a semi-hard polytheist (like a good cheddar cheese, but not quite as hard as Parmigiano-Reggiano :D) it doesn't surprise me to be contacted by deities of different pantheons.

Theweirdtophat

I don't know.. I don't really like to talk about them. There really aren't any words to describe them anyway.

I'm kind of seeing a theme with your threads, Are you having thoughts about believing in God/s?

I have thought of it. I am an animist and but I do believe gods or god-like beings exist and I personally haven't had "experiences" at least not yet and wondered how other people had experiences.

I once had a very vivid dream involving Vishnu and Shiva. I was visiting Mount Kailāśa. Shiva was reclining in the snow. I somehow knew Mā Pārvatī was off on some errand; I was disappointed to have missed meeting her. Not long after, Vishnu arrived in a chariot, dressed resplendently. The dream ended that way.

Another time I was quite awake when Thórr "whomped me upside the head". I felt his presence very strongly and at that moment he became my fulltrui, "fully trusted one" ( the word 'patron' is generally frowned upon).

Being a semi-hard polytheist (like a good cheddar cheese, but not quite as hard as Parmigiano-Reggiano :D) it doesn't surprise me to be contacted by deities of different pantheons.

I hear some deities will whomp you on the head to get your attention. xD If I may ask, why did he whomp you on the head? What did he want you to pay attention to?

I hear deities from other pantheons will contact others. Some I hear will make their voices loud. Some have even described their personalities. How would you describe Thor's personality and what is it like to work with him?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I hear some deities will whomp you on the head to get your attention. xD If I may ask, why did he whomp you on the head? What did he want you to pay attention to?

... How would you describe Thor's personality and what is it like to work with him?

I was drawn to him for a long time, we have a lot of characteristics in common. But he also has personality traits I don't have, but admire. I'm trying to develop them. Maybe he thought it was time to take me under his wing. Also to help me get to know some of my own history. I have some northern European, possibly Norman and/or Celtic and/or Germanic ancestry.

As far as his personality and working with him, he can't abide word games, subterfuge, phoniness or things like that. He's to the point. If you make a promise to do something for someone, you damn well better do it.

Since he's all about protection, he likes for people to help others. For example, if you can physically do it, help someone who needs help to move; if someone is afraid to go somewhere or do something, give them support.

On the whole he's very easy to get along with and is quite low maintenance as gods go. For offerings he likes beer, ale, food. He's like your big good ol' boy jock buddy.

Corthos

Great Old One
Very fascinating thread. =) I have had 2 major experiences that I couldn't explain.

The first happened when I was about 18ish. I was visiting my brother and some friends of mine. The house we were in (My brother was living there) used to be an old homestead house, but had some major expansions and renovations. We hung out, and decided it was late so we all decided to sleep out in the living room (there were about 8 of us... it was a big living room, heh). Everyone fell asleep pretty quickly, but I couldn't sleep, so I just sat there and was thinking to myself... Then, suddenly, I had this incredibly strong feeling that I was being watched. I turned and looked, and instead of seeing nothing was there and feeling better, I saw nothing was there and the feeling was intensified. It was the strangest thing... I knew something was there. I couldn't see it physically, but in my mind's eye I knew exactly what it looked like, and even knew what it wanted...

It was the figure of a man... Hell, he was wearing jeans, flannels, and a baseball cap. Even if I could physically see him, though, I feel as though he would have been completely enveloped in a pitch darkness. I could feel him pacing up and down the porch (it was a long porch, and there were windows all along it). I could feel that he was looking right at me as he paced, and I felt as though he was frustrated that he couldn't get in. I felt like he was stopped by something...

I was never really that religious before then, but ultimately I started praying furiously.... I was too frozen in terror to move, let alone make a sound. Whatever it was, it wasn't human. It didn't even feel as though it ever was at one time. Looking at it was like looking at the vilest and most sickening kind of evil you could ever imagine, if that makes sense.

This went on all night long, but eventually, the sun went up, and as the sun came, it just gave up and left. I was worried I had gone nuts or something, so I didn't tell a living soul. =/

I talked to my brother a week later when he told me the strangest thing happened. He was knelt down and unplugging the Christmas tree when his dogs just started going nuts outside. They were barking absolutely frantically. He said he looked up to the window so he could yell at them to shut up, but right there in front of him on the other side was a dark shadowed figure looking down at him. Right there. He told me then that after the man saw him, he turned around and started walking away... The dogs were barking at him with their tails tucked between their legs as he walked away. My brother went to grab a shot gun, and when he ran outside to confront this stranger, there wasn't anyone there... This is an issue because where he lived was in the middle of farmland with not much underbrush around for people to hide.

I told him what I saw after he told me that, and then he told me that this was also strange because after I left, our friends (both in that house and elsewhere around there) had dreamt about being chased down by a shadowy figure in their dream the same night I had seen that thing. They had just thought it was a strange coincidence.

To this day I still have no idea what the hell was going on there exactly. After that, though,I became a serious Christian and became very religious. =/

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I've had a number of experiences over the years, some more intense than others...not all of the intense ones were all that important, and some of the less impressive experiences were very important.

In 1970, just days before my 12th birthday, I went to school as normal. I had crossing guard duty that week, helping the adult crossing guard keep other kids from running across the busy highway by our school. As the morning wore on, I felt increasingly sick, nauseous. I went home for lunch, as I almost always did at that time, riding my bike the two blocks to my house. I still felt awful. I called my dad at his work to ask if I should stay home; he left it up to me. I decided to tough it out, so I went back to school. I almost immediately felt better. After school, it was sunny and warm for December, and the other guards and I were talking with the other students as they waited for Mrs. Ray to stop traffic. One of the more rambunctious kids was pushing on her car, making it move (Now how a 50-pound 4th grader could make a 1950 Plymouth giant something or other that weighed probably three tons move is beyond me, but...). So Mrs. Ray went to reset the parking brake, which required her to start the car.

I remember hearing a weird noise and turning...and images as that monstrous car careened over kids and hit me. I remember desperately trying to push back against it. I awoke what could only have been a few seconds later, under the car, my own voice yelling help. I stopped yelling. There was other yelling and screaming, and the sounds of people moving, and then a bunch of people lifted the damn car off of us... others pulled us out. There were sirens. I saw a friend who I had been going to head over to his house to play after school, I joked with him that I probably wouldn't be able to make it after all. I didn't try to move because I hurt so much, but I was wide awake and despite the shock, feeling normal mentally.

Eventually, I was put in an ambulance and taken to the hospital. One young girl had been killed; I was the second most severely injured, with a broken leg and separated collarbone, and lots of bruises and scrapes. My dad today maintains that I had a concussion, but I don't remember anything about, and what documents we still have don't mention it. Ten other students had been injured. I spent my birthday in the hospital, and got to go home before Christmas.

At the time, I was still actively a young Christian, and it seemed to me that my guardian angel had been trying to tell me something, by making feel this illness that should have made me stay home. I credit it now to "the spirits" because it was the first time I got anything like a premonition, and I have since given up assigning names and roles to things I can experience but are still a mystery. It took a few more, less severe incidents, but I learned to listen. Sometimes I still make mistakes, the wrong choice, but they're usually pretty minor.

So, I know what happened: I made a choice, and there were consequences. Had I made the other choice, to stay home, what would have happened? One of the other students in my class would have been on crossing duty in my place, perhaps even my friend who I was planning to visit later after school. If the same sequence in the absence of me had played out, maybe they would have been injured or killed. Or one of the other children. No reason to think that events would have been significantly different--just that I wouldn't have been there, wouldn't have been injured, wouldn't have that experience...