• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your dream home

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
I was inspired by Black Schuck's thread of "A Nice Place to Live." :D

What is your idea of a "Dream Home"? List whatever features and amenities that you want and don't want, what your neighbors are like and what they aren't like, how many rooms and how they're designed, how much time you'd spend there, etc.

I will get back soon with my idea of a dream home, but I iz makin' dinner right now. Feel free to start without me.

Anyone listing McMansions as their dream home will be mocked and laughed at by me personally. :p

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
When I was younger I used to draw elaborate floor plans for dream homes when I was bored. They'd have about 4 floors, swimming pools, guest rooms, libraries, green houses, four wheeler race courses, gardens, ponds, ball rooms, giant bedrooms, bathrooms, and closets, balconies, rooms with fish aquariums for walls, theaters, and almost anything else possible. I also made bedrooms and bathrooms for my butlers, cooks, and all that.

Dena

Between 2200-2400 square feet on a few acres near the beach and only a few minutes from a town with organic food stores and Conservative Synagogue. Off the grid. Lots of sunlight. Excellent security system. Four bedrooms and 2 1/2 baths. No stairs!

I'll never get the beach part but I would like to someday have the rest here where we currently live.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
No stairs!
I agree! We just moved to a newer home and while I'm very happy and satisfied with it, the stairs are killing me. :p I must have gone up and down about 25 times yesterday...at least.

Near the beach would be very nice. :beach:

Gentoo

The Feisty Penguin
Either a small place in the middle of the woods with Mike as close to being off the grid and generally just falling off the face of the Earth as possible, or Hull Mass. with my friends who presently live there. :beach:

Last edited:

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Steve and I agree that going off-grid, living sustainably, and using alternative forms of energy is mostly our idea of what will make our dream home. Passive solar energy (southern facing windows, use of overhangs to optimize angle of the sun through the seasons, and deciduous trees on the south side of the plot to shade during the summer) is definitely one aspect we'd like to use. Ideally, we'd also like to use a greywater system that includes use of a bog filter and a system of ponds that helps to keep garden beds irrigated.

Several acres (between 5-10) of land would be perfect, not including more on the outskirts of woodland for fuel. Use of animal husbandry and rotating livestock as well as rotating crops to ensure rich soil. Half of our plot would be laid down for pasture for the grazing animals, and the other half would be managed for crop use (for us and for the animals). Grain plots, brassicas, potato plots,etc., and berry bushes, and a small fruit and nut orchard. Don't forget a beehive for honey and for pollination for the trees. Plus, an herb and medicinal garden for growing our herbs for cooking and for teas would be awesome.

Beauty and the ornamental flowers and trees would dot the landscape as well. We're seeing how we can have functional borders in the plots such as asparagus and rhubarb as well as edible landscaping ideas such as grapes and currants hanging over entrances like in arbors and trellises.

A woodshed to cure the wood for a couple years before use. A springhouse for the main pond to also keep dairy items cool. A dug-in root cellar for produce storage as well as shelter from severe weather (we are attached to the Midwest, you know).

We're so so so soooo slowly getting closer to our dream, bit by bit with our gardens now, next a chicken coop (that is moveable) that we plan on building within the next year along with a rabbit hutch, and probably next would be a couple of goats. Obviously, since now we live on roughly a fifth of an acre, we plan on moving. :D

The philosophy of land management we are aiming toward is aligned somewhat with permaculture and Fukuoka's methods in Japan.

In the house, a large kitchen is absolute for us, since much of the time the family convenes there for one reason or another. Bedrooms, even in a dream home, don't need to be large. But in the dream home, we want two bathrooms. We have lived with one bathroom for many years now. :D

Despite going off-grid as much as possible, we do like electricity and running water. Of course, the dream home in our minds is a zero-carbon footprint kind of house when it comes to the utilities, so solar panels, along with wind energy, would be used.

I honestly don't care for a garden tub.......I know, call me crazy.....but I would LOVE to have a small sit-in sauna for me to sweat out impurities and for stress relief and relaxation. A small zen garden and a tiny meditation hut would be found from a winding trail leading from the main grounds.

The size of the house? Probably what we have now, which is around 1500 square feet. We just want to use the space that we need. The biggest rooms for comfort and entertainment can be accomodated by a family room, and of course, the kitchen. We don't want a separate dining room. HOWEVER, having a shaded "summer kitchen" outside would be great during those unbearably hot July weeks.

It's more like a cottage-feeling than a full-fledged farmhouse that we envision. I love the idea of having a porch on both sides of the house, sitting out there ("with a beer and watching the corn grow, LOL") on a 65 degree (F) evening sounds so delightful.

*le sigh*

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
A four-car garage with a car hoist and a built-in air compressor.

Enough space in the yard or on the driveway to store a trailer or two.

Oh - and maybe sort of bedroom to sleep in. :D

MSizer

MSizer
...Passive solar energy ...greywater system that includes use of a bog filter and a system of ponds that helps to keep garden beds irrigated.

...animal husbandry*
(I didn't know you were so kinky:eek:)...
...and rotating livestock as well as rotating crops ...Don't forget a beehive for honey and for pollination for the trees. Plus, an herb and medicinal garden for growing our herbs for cooking and for teas would be awesome.

...A woodshed to cure the wood for a couple years before use. A springhouse for the main pond to also keep dairy items cool. A dug-in root cellar for produce storage as well as shelter from severe weather (we are attached to the Midwest, you know).

*le sigh*

Nice Mystic!

Ahh, all of those things are exactly what we're planning toward, only we're more like 10 years away sadly. Oh well, it will come.

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Nice Mystic!

Ahh, all of those things are exactly what we're planning toward, only we're more like 10 years away sadly. Oh well, it will come.

Certainly. This is a lifelong dream for us, so if we are to find completion within 10 years, we'll surpass our expectations. :yes:

Draka

Wonder Woman
Around 2000 to 2500 sq/ft Ranch style house. 3-4 bdrms, large bath with garden tub, separate laundry room, big family/living room, large eat-in kitchen, sunroom, patio, porch, nice fenced-in big yard with room for swingset and pool and general running around.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I'd keep where I am now, but if I ever won the lottery I would love a vacation home. I am thinking a nice sized log cabin in some mountain forest in Colorado. Make it an area that gets snowed in bad. I would bring enough stuff to last a month and then let us get snowed in. Imagine the romance. :)

snake-mountain.jpg

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
Interesting thread, especially since we're closing on our new house THURSDAY!!! I'm very excited.

I love the new house - it's brand new, a mix of stone, brick, and rough hewn timbers, hardwood floors and tile, with really cool black wrought iron light fixtures, dark metal bath and kitchen fixtures, granite counter tops in all baths and the kitchen, very rough plastered walls in a rich cream color, and the most gorgeous natural wood trim throughout the house - it's BEAUTIFUL!

Lots of big floor to ceiling windows throughout the house. That's very important to me because I love natural light.

It's also got an open floor plan, and very tall ceilings throughout the house. 4 bdrms and a game room, and a nice mudroom/laundry combo that's sort of unique. Split master suite with a huge closet, double sinks, and a jacuzzi tub - WOOHOOOO!!!

NO MORE STAIRS - we're getting rid of stairs in the house we're selling.

Our new house sits on an acre lot in a very quiet subdivision. We're not lake FRONT but we have a great view of the lake across the street, and that view can't be impeded because the lot across from us is a terrible spot to build on. It will be really nice to sit on the front porch and look across that lake at night, with a bottle of vino and my sweetie.

My favorite thing about the yard (besides the size) is that it has three huge old oak trees in the backyard. I am going to fill that backyard with bird feeders, bird baths, windchimes, and comfy outdoor furniture.

But our DREAM HOME would be this same house - in the Hill Country between Austin and San Antonio. Or better yet - a vintage Craftsman style house in the Hill Country.

We love it down there. And you know what they say - LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

Anyway, wish me luck this week - my life is in shambles (ie boxes) right now. Tomorrow or the next day will be my last day online till we get new internet service lined out in our new house.

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
By the way, Mystic - your dream home sounds beautiful. Good luck in your endeavors.

Though I am not the "greenest" person around, it was important to us to buy a new home with very energy efficient features. I am also intrigued by solar panels and we'll be looking into those after we get settled.

We have a very large backyard, so we are going to plant lavender back there - I am excited about that! There's also a good place for an herb garden and I enjoy having fresh herbs. If we build that area up, I probably won't be able to resist growing some squash, tomatoes, garlic and onions.

But I gotta get moved in first...

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Awww thanks. :)

Steve and I have had a little experience in green living, and part of his childhood was spent off grid on a homestead, so we're confident that we're not just acting Pollyanna over our dream. We already compost a LOT, have a productive garden (even without the rabbit manure and chicken run that I envision), and conserve energy where we can. We are those oddballs you'll see walking alongside busy busy roads because we save gas where we can. :D

For the last ten years, I've also become the food storage engineer when we have a bumper/excess of food, whether it's canning or making sausages/salamis.

The thing we need to work on more is water conservation. Mapping out a system of ponds and berms and swales on our property as well as minimizing runoff...we just don't have much experience under our belts. We anticipate interesting stories galore while we're learning. LOL

Oh, and Kathryn....lavender. Mmmmmm, soooo dreamy. :)