• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

your attitude to abraham?

Just curious as to your attitude to Abraham? Either as a historical figure, or [if you prefer] as a legendary archetype. I am not a Hindu, but have tried to imagine pluses and minuses from what I know of Hinduism.

Minuses;
rejected his family's traditions.
destroyed the icons in Nimrod's temple.

Pluses:
followed a path of bhakti to Yahweh without turning back.

What do you think about this? Have I made any mistakes here? What do you personally think about him?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Abraham does not exist for most hindus, YHWH even less so. Some know that he is one of the prophets of Abrahamic religions. His history is irrelevant to hindus (would not know if he rejected the traditions of his family, quite a bad thing to do; or why he destroyed the icons in Nimrod's temple, had those people harmed his people in any way?). Did Bhakti to YHWH required breaking of icons in Nimrod's temple (again a bad thing)? Did not Nimrod's people have a right to worship their God/Gods in their own way?

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
I know very little about Abraham but my attitude towards him is that he is a child of God just like you and just like me. :)

As far as i see it he was sorta good. He was unhindered in his devotion to god, always good. Then like Muhammed the sense of power got to his headn thats when Muhammed intervened and took mecca...

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Tell me, when am i not right? Worship me..
Yes, why not, you too are Brahman. Did not Sankara fall down at the feet of the chandala? If you are wrong, then also it is your maya, like Krishna's running away from the battle with Kala Yavana.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
On a second thought, there is nothing in Brahman to be worshiped. Sankara bowed to chandala because the chandala reminded him of this truth. How can 'a' worship 'a'? There has to be a 'b' to worship, of which there is none. The books say, 'Ekameva Adviteeyam' (One without a second).

mahesh

yat tad brahma paraM sUkSmam
azUnyaM zUnya-kalpitam
bhagavAn vAsudeveti
yaM gRNanti hi sAtvatAH

yat--that which; tat--such; brahma param--Parabrahman, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, KRSNa; sUkSmam--spiritual, beyond all material conceptions; azUnyam--not impersonal or void; zUnya-kalpitam--imagined to be void by less intelligent men; bhagavAn--the Supreme Personality of Godhead; vAsudeva--KRSNa; iti--thus; yam--whom; gRNanti--sing about; hi--indeed; sAtvatAH--pure devotees.

The Supreme Personality of Godhead Vasudev is extremely difficult to understand for unintelligent men who accept Him as impersonal or void, which He is not. The Lord is therefore understood and sung about by pure devotees.

PURPORT

As stated in SrImad-BhAgavatam (1.2.11):

vadanti tat tattva-vidas
tattvaM yaj jJAnam advayam
brahmeti paramAtmeti
bhagavAn iti zabdyate

The Absolute Truth is realized in three phases--as Brahman, ParamAtmA and BhagavAn. BhagavAn is the origin of everything. Brahman is a partial representation of BhagavAn, and VAsudeva, the Supersoul living everywhere and in everyone's heart, is also an advanced realization of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. But when one comes to understand the Supreme Personality of Godhead (vAsudevaH sarvam iti), when one realizes that VAsudeva is both ParamAtmA and the impersonal Brahman, he is then in perfect knowledge. KRSNa is therefore described by Arjuna as paraM brahma paraM dhAma pavitraM paramaM bhavAn [Bg. 10.12]. The words paraM brahma refer to the shelter of the impersonal Brahman and also of the all-pervading Supersoul. When KRSNa says tyaktvA dehaM punar janma naiti mAm eti [Bg. 4.9], this means that the perfect devotee, after perfect realization, returns home, back to Godhead. MahArAja KhaTvAGga accepted the shelter of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and because of his full surrender he achieved perfection.

How will you understand Bhagwans leela if you canot even have realsied His greatness.

Become one with Brahm and worship Parbrahm.

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
The Absolute Truth is realized in three phases--as Brahman, ParamAtmA and BhagavAn. BhagavAn is the origin of everything. Brahman is a partial representation of BhagavAn, and VAsudeva, the Supersoul living everywhere and in everyone's heart, is also an advanced realization of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. But when one comes to understand the Supreme Personality of Godhead (vAsudevaH sarvam iti), when one realizes that VAsudeva is both ParamAtmA and the impersonal Brahman, he is then in perfect knowledge.

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing! :yes:

mahesh

Brahman is a partial representation of Parbrahman. But when one comes to understand the Supreme Personality of Godhead (vAsudevaH sarvam iti), when one realises that Vasudeva is both Paramatma PArbrahman and the impersonal Brahman, they are then in perfect knowledge.This is absolute knowledge.

yat tad brahma paraM sUkSmam

azUnyaM zUnya-kalpitam

bhagavAn vAsudeveti

yaM gRNanti hi sAtvatAH

yat--that which; tat--such; brahma param--Parabrahman, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, KRSNa; sUkSmam--spiritual, beyond all material conceptions; azUnyam--not impersonal or void; zUnya-kalpitam--imagined to be void by less intelligent men; bhagavAn--the Supreme Personality of Godhead; vAsudeva--KRSNa; iti--thus; yam--whom; gRNanti--sing about; hi--indeed; sAtvatAH--pure devotees.

The Supreme Personality of Godhead Vasudev is extremely difficult to understand for unintelligent men who accept Him as impersonal or void, which He is not. The Lord is therefore understood and sung about by pure devotees.

PURPORT

As stated in SrImad-BhAgavatam (1.2.11):​

vadanti tat tattva-vidas​

tattvaM yaj jJAnam advayam​

brahmeti paramAtmeti​

bhagavAn iti zabdyate​

The Absolute Truth is realized in three phases--as Brahman, ParamAtmA and BhagavAn. BhagavAn is the origin of everything. Brahman is a partial representation of BhagavAn, and VAsudeva, the Supersoul living everywhere and in everyone's heart, is also an advanced realization of the Supreme Personality of Godhead. But when one comes to understand the Supreme Personality of Godhead (vAsudevaH sarvam iti), when one realizes that VAsudeva is both ParamAtmA and the impersonal Brahman, he is then in perfect knowledge. KRSNa is therefore described by Arjuna as paraM brahma paraM dhAma pavitraM paramaM bhavAn [Bg. 10.12]. The words paraM brahma refer to the shelter of the impersonal Brahman and also of the all-pervading Supersoul. When KRSNa says tyaktvA dehaM punar janma naiti mAm eti [Bg. 4.9], this means that the perfect devotee, after perfect realization, returns home, back to Godhead. MahArAja KhaTvAGga accepted the shelter of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, and because of his full surrender he achieved perfection.​

How will you understand Bhagwans leela if you canot even have realsied His greatness.​

Become one with Brahm and worship Parbrahm.​
THANKYOU

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Vadanti tat tattvavida, tattvam yat jnaanam advayam;
brahmeti paramātmeti bhagavān iti sabdyate. B.G. - 1.2.11

(People who now the reality say that the supreme is one. It is the same thing that is called as 'brahmam', 'paramātmā', 'bhagavān' depending on how they refer to it. - http://www.mayyam.com/hub/viewtopic.php?p=245698)

Advayam - (a - not, dyayam - two) without a second, the knowledge of one without a second. Also explained in Brhdaranyaka as 'Ekameva adviteeyam'. They have said it again and again, only you do not see that in your ignorance.

mahesh

Your blinded with your barren philosophy so much that you cannot even recognise the truth. I mean i cant help you its that bad. Thats why its said that before studying the Scripture a TRUE guru is needed. You must have found the false one.

By the way can you state the actual Shloka of the Gita correctly. What adhyay and Shloka is 1.2.11?

As you cannot have what you state in the Gita at such a shloka.

verse-10-11-02.gif

Translation:
verse-10-11-04.gif

Aupmanyav God is sitting in your atma. in your Soul as Sakshi and Karan. MAy he destroy your ignorance with the radiant light of knowledge.