• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You shall know them by their fruit.

Heneni

Miss Independent
''You shall know them by their fruit''.....

I know what the fruit is...its the fruit of the HS. But it seems like every christian has a different opinion of what love, kindness, patience etc. is....

So then...how can we know ANYBODY then by their fruit if we all have a different idea of what the fruit should look like?

Heneni

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This one's pretty easy. If someone says they are a Christian yet acts judgmental, mean, and whatever, then you know them by their fruit, rather than their words. ;)

Heneni

Miss Independent
This one's pretty easy. If someone says they are a Christian yet acts judgmental, mean, and whatever, then you know them by their fruit, rather than their words. ;)

Lets reason about this...jesus called the hypocrites a brood of vipers. Doesnt seem 'nice'. (PS, im FOR jesus dont worry). And we are suppose to judge the fruit if we are going to know people by their fruit. The hypocrites must have felt 'judged' by jesus. They said..'who put you in authority'....paraphrasing here.

Heneni

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Lets reason about this...Jesus called the hypocrites a brood of vipers. Doesn't seem 'nice'. (PS, I'm FOR Jesus don't worry). And we are suppose to judge the fruit if we are going to know people by their fruit. The hypocrites must have felt 'judged' by Jesus. They said..'who put you in authority'....paraphrasing here.

Heneni

Good question. Jesus knew these men's hearts. We don't know men's hearts. Those hypocrites also knew their own hearts. Jesus wasn't telling them anything that they didn't know. :)

Heneni

Miss Independent
Good question. Jesus knew these men's hearts. We don't know men's hearts. Those hypocrites also knew their own hearts. Jesus wasn't telling them anything that they didn't know. :)

Good point. But then if we cant see into the hearts of people, how can we know them, by their fruit?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Good point. But then if we cant see into the hearts of people, how can we know them, by their fruit?

In our case, we have to use our intuition and be trusting (Jesus did say we need to be trusting). And I think usually we can tell if someone is sincere (unless the person is a good actor).

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
A no man! I need you to reason with me here, not tell me im over analysing. :(

Does my intuition and yours line up. Probably not.
discernment is only partially based in reason. It is heavily invested in intuition. Reason is not the be-all-end-all.

Heneni

Miss Independent
Yes. Their are a variety of gifts, but the same Spirit.

Are you saying....'you shall know them by their fruit' means your gift will allow you to see some fruit, and my gift will allow me to see a different type of fruit in a person?

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
Are you saying....'you shall know them by their fruit' means your gift will allow you to see some fruit, and my gift will allow me to see a different type of fruit in a person?
A Christian possesses all the qualities that are listed when talking about the fruit of the spirit. These qualities should be present in their life. After being around most people you can pretty much tell about their fruits....You can also tell them some of them are nuts, but that is beside the point. :D
You should be able to pick a Christian out, because they stand out when they show the love and qualities that a believer should portray. Someone shouldn't have to go around and shout "I'm a believer" people can see that the person is different and Christ like. ;) I don't think it requires any gift to see a true believer, because when a believer let's their light shine the whole world can see it. And it's evident that the whole world are not all believers....

Heneni

Miss Independent
A Christian possesses all the qualities that are listed when talking about the fruit of the spirit. These qualities should be present in their life. After being around most people you can pretty much tell about their fruits....You can also tell them some of them are nuts, but that is beside the point. :D
You should be able to pick a Christian out, because they stand out when they show the love and qualities that a believer should portray. Someone shouldn't have to go around and shout "I'm a believer" people can see that the person is different and Christ like. ;) I don't think it requires any gift to see a true believer, because when a believer let's their light shine the whole world can see it. And it's evident that the whole world are not all believers....

True...but people rarely judge the fruit the same way. And then the bible says do not judge....How do you reconcile the two? Then there are christians who slip up others would think they dont have any fruit, but they are christians.

cardero

Citizen Mod

I know what the fruit is...its the fruit of the HS. But it seems like every christian has a different opinion of what love, kindness, patience etc. is....

So then...how can we know ANYBODY then by their fruit if we all have a different idea of what the fruit should look like?

Heneni

If one wants to examine fruit, one should go to a produce market.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
True...but people rarely judge the fruit the same way. And then the bible says do not judge....How do you reconcile the two? Then there are christians who slip up others would think they dont have any fruit, but they are christians.
It didn't say judge them, it said by their fruits you will know them....We recognize the fact they aren't producing, but we don't chop down the tree or judge it. That is up to God. Every tree (Christian) goes through a bad season and for what ever reason fails to produce fruit, then we need to give special care to love, and nourish that tree or Christian and maybe get them back on the right ground where they will once again produce fruit......:D

cardero

Citizen Mod
Every religion I have ever examined seems to have a few "bad apples" or a moment where the tree wasn't producing "sufficient" fruit.
This is a terrible parable and not a fair way to observe and estimate people or deities.