• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yeshua (Jesus) Was Much More Forgiving Than a Lot of Practicing Christians.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
A different topic spouted this one. I have found in my walk, that I've met a lot of Christians who are much more judgmental than Jesus was. Think about it, Jesus ate with sinners and tax collectors, he rescued a woman caught in adultery (although some say the story was added later), he told people, simply "Go and sin no more". Shouldn't we, as Christians (disciples of Yeshua) do the same and why don't we?

What are your views on this?

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
well...I think this is a misconception about Jesus Christ, started by Saint Paul. I believe that many Pauline concepts are totally anti-Christian.

Paul says that all sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord and we all are sinners. Actually God loves everyone. He doesn't love the worst of the criminals less than a saint.
But sins are all different: there are sins which are insignificant and sins which are grave and indelible.

Of course Jesus was merciful towards prostitutes and adulteresses. Because those sins are small compared to the gravest sins, which are those related to money-hunger.
When Jesus overthrows the tables of the money-changers and drives them out of the temple, he is very judgmental. and he does well.

so...we must be judgmental towards the grave sins which harm our economy and our society.
as for the private sins, the ones regarding sexuality, we are not supposed to judge them

Last edited:

Simplelogic

well...I think this is a misconception about Jesus Christ, started by Saint Paul. I believe that many Pauline concepts are totally anti-Christian.

Paul says that all sins are equal in the eyes of the Lord and we all are sinners. Actually God loves everyone. He doesn't love the worst of the criminals less than a saint.
But sins are all different: there are sins which are insignificant and sins which are grave and indelible.

Of course Jesus was forgivable towards prostitutes and adulteresses. Because those sins are small compared to the gravest sins, which are those related to money-hunger.
When Jesus overthrows the table of the money-changers and drives them out of the temple, he is very judgmental. and he does well.

so...we must be judgmental towards the grave sins which harm our economy and our society.
as for the private sins, the ones regarding sexuality, we are not supposed to judge them
I completely agree with you on the differing levels of sin. Yeshua makes this very clear. I don't think he was as lax on harlotry as it may appear.

Yeshua freed the woman caught in adultery because it was an illegal trial by the pharisees. The Torah requires the elders to bring the woman and the man to trial. They only brought the woman! It also requires two or three eye witnesses to convict. This is why Yeshua said "he who is without sin cast the first stone". Yeshua didn't men general sin like many assume. Yeshua didn't believe in a "sin nature" like Paul did. He was referring to their blatant circumvention of the law of Moses.

He also left the woman with these challenging words "go and sin no more". So I do think his stance on the issue was clear. But even if the woman was guilty…the greater sin was that of the Pharisees.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I couldn't help but notice that Yeshua was more angry with the "holier-than-thou" religious leaders of His time. The lay people (as we call them now) fared better with Him. He compared religious leaders with tombs- pretty on the outside yet filled with dead and rotting things.

Samantha Truman

James 2:8 If you really keep the royal law found in Scripture, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” you are doing right. 9 But if you show favoritism, you sin and are convicted by the law as lawbreakers. 10 For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.

This is important because I don't believe any sin is greater than another. Sin is sin:

11 For he who said, “You shall not commit adultery,”b also said, “You shall not murder.”c If you do not commit adultery but do commit murder, you have become a lawbreaker.

The law is not a happy meal where you pick and choose what suits you. "Do not murder"--that's sounds good, I don't want to be murdered. "Do not steal"--that's good too because I don't want my house broken into. "Do not commit adultery." Ah, dang, that just completely interferes with my love life. How am I suppose to sleep with John, and Tim and Mark, and Justin? Ah! I know. I'll just claim grace and God will forgive me and understand. He knows what raging hormones do to a person.

There is not partiality when it comes to sin.

--

I noticed people cry, "You're judging me" when you say something they don't want to hear. If I tell someone that their sexual immorality and God is watching them and hey, shape up because God's made it known that the sexually immoral will not inherit the kingdom of God (1 Corinthians 6:9). Suddenly, I'm judging them because I've reminded them of what God said. But if I tell someone, hey your going to fast through a school zone and the police are watching, slow down before you get a ticket, they don't consider me to be making judgments on their driving, rather protecting them from a mark on their license and a ticket they'll have to pay and a court appearance they'll have to make. They're thankful then that I pointed out their mistake and helped them avoid punishment. But telling someone fornication is wrong, well, I'm judgmental. Why? Because most of the time the person wants to fornicate and they don't want God's commandments to crimp their style. Blaming the person who says it's wrong as being judgmental, allows the sinner to justify their evil deed by making the other person look like the one in the wrong.

True judgement is proclaiming someone they're doomed for the lake of fire, or determining that someone is not worthy of salvation, love, etc. A lot of times when people "judge", it's not the judgment that Christ was talking about.

James 5:19 "My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins."

Christ didn't come to judge the world, he came to warn us of the error of our ways. "Repent for the Kingdom is at hand". When Christ returns then He will exercise His authority and punish/disciple according the world according to the law of God, but punishing the world was not his job when he came the first time. That's why the adulteress wasn't stoned, but remember, Christ told her to sin no more. He didn't say, you're forgiven, continue on.

Next time someone "judges" you, consider greatly whether they're judging (condemning your soul) or admonishing your behavior because they want to bring a sinner back from the error of his/her way. Because that's not judgment, that's love.

Blackmarch

W'rkncacntr
A different topic spouted this one. I have found in my walk, that I've met a lot of Christians who are much more judgmental than Jesus was. Think about it, Jesus ate with sinners and tax collectors, he rescued a woman caught in adultery (although some say the story was added later), he told people, simply "Go and sin no more". Shouldn't we, as Christians (disciples of Yeshua) do the same and why don't we?

I agree.

Johnlove

You can believe what you want, but Jesus is very judgmental.

One had better live God’s Word or they will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

Jesus told us that.

(Matthew 7:21-23) “It is not those who say to me, ‘Lord, Lord’, who will enter the kingdom of Heaven but the person who does the will of My Father in Heaven. When the day comes many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, cast out demons in your name, work many miracles in your name?’ Then I shall tell them to their faces: I have never known you; away from me, you evil men!”

Jesus eat with sinners, to bring them to accept him as their Lord and God. When those sinners accepted Jesus and received the Holy Spirit, they were then expected to no longer be sinners.

Those sinners became obedient servants or else. The or else is explained by Jesus in the above scripture.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

To judge is also to protect. I have shared the gospel with prisoners, killers, adulterers and prostitutes, however, I was cautious where young children were involved. We are to be liberal in love--but not stupid in it.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
To judge is also to protect. I have shared the gospel with prisoners, killers, adulterers and prostitutes, however, I was cautious where young children were involved. We are to be liberal in love--but not stupid in it.
We have to have some common sense. Some things can't be ignored: Including when someone is harming another person and such things.

It might have something to do with Romans chapter two, where we are told that we see the 'splinter' in the eyes of others, but cannot see the 'beam' in our own.

I suppose we like seeing the casting of stones at other sinners, but not at ourselves. Our policing and judicial systems have strayed a long way from God's Word, as well.

atpollard

Jesus was perfect.
I am not.
It should come as no real surprise that Jesus is better at 'Loving your neighbor' than I am.
I suspect that he is also a whole lot better at 'Loving God' than I am.

Why do we expect a perfection from others that we are unable to achieve ourselves?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Jesus was perfect.
I am not.
It should come as no real surprise that Jesus is better at 'Loving your neighbor' than I am.
I suspect that he is also a whole lot better at 'Loving God' than I am.

Why do we expect a perfection from others that we are unable to achieve ourselves?
Some people don't even try to love their neighbor and they are able to do it or Jesus would not have commanded it. I am not speaking of biting someone's head off because they are having a bad day or something, but of people condemning others and not showing mercy. We can too easily make excuses about not being as loving as we very easily could be.