• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you say Kaddish in a situation like this?

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
Would you do it or not? Or have you already done it before?

What would I do? In this case I would give to charity, plant a tree, and look up the birthday of the deceased, and learn that corresponding parsha.

I would not say Kaddish in vain.

Jedster

Although not religious myself, I grew up in a Jewish community and know how important Kaddish is regarded.
I think the nuns act was very kind.
I'm unsure whether it is halachic.

ETA welcome to RF.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't watch the video but a nun saying kaddish? Odd.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I can't watch the video but a nun saying kaddish? Odd.
If i understand the premise, a deceased Jewish person asks their family member to say Kaddish for them. After the deceased passes, would you say Kaddish even if it is not Kosher? The question is, does a person honor the wishes of the deceased or honor Halacha?

@thewrongjew , did I explain this correctly?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
If i understand the premise, a deceased Jewish person asks their family member to say Kaddish for them. After the deceased passes, would you say Kaddish even if it is not Kosher? The question is, does a person honor the wishes of the deceased or honor Halacha?

It would be a tough call for me. I would probably argue with the deceased before he or she died. I would probably say it seeing as I'm not Jewish but were I Jewish I'd be very hesitent.

thewrongjew

What would I do? In this case I would give to charity, plant a tree, and look up the birthday of the deceased, and learn that corresponding parsha.

I would not say Kaddish in vain.

Yes. Not only that, he is only 1 man and not very religious. :)

JJ50

Once a person is dead they stay dead, imo, so the only concern should be for the living.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
That's another question in the video.
If you have any specific questions about Kaddish ( rules, ritual, etc... ) I encourage you to ask them directly. Otherwise, I am not sure that the Jewish people who practice the religion and have insider knowledge will contribute.