• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you marry outside of your faith?

Dinogrrl

peeb!
If he changed his faith...it would depend. If he suddenly became very hostile towards my religion, then I would definitely have to reconsider our relationship.

And for the most part, no, it wouldn't matter what denomination he was, although there are a few out there that I most definitely don't agree with.

Merlin

Dinogrrl said:
And for the most part, no, it wouldn't matter what denomination he was, although there are a few out there that I most definitely don't agree with.
Out of curiosity, are you prepared to say which?

Dinogrrl

peeb!
Christian Science and snake handlers are the first two that come to my mind. There's a few others but honestly I can't recall right now. Pretty much every denomination has its '***?' parts with me though :D;

Doodlebug02

It depends. While I would strongly prefer to marry someone who is a Catholic, it would not bother me to marry someone who was simply a Christian. I believe that the Bible mentions the "don't be unequally yoked" thing for a reason. ;)

Melody

robtex said:
It is funny reading the Christian responses. I am playing the dating game as a single guy and about 40 % of the christian women I have a date with or meet for possible dating say they will not date an atheist. I have learned to be up front with that for that very reason. I find the lack of flexablity very interesting on their part.
My oldest son was dumped by a girl because she was a "christian" and he is/was agnostic. He's now engaged to a young lady who is quite active in her church (Lutheran). I believe she's much more likely to lead my son to a relationship with God than the other because she's a shining example of God's love....in so many ways.

Depending on how rabid the atheist and/or theist is, a marriage can work. My husband is an agnostic, verging on atheism, and I am a christian. We coexist quite peacefully because neither of us feel the need to browbeat the other into our belief system. He has no problem with me taking the kids to church and I have no problem with him telling them he doesn't believe and why.

Our two oldest are still fence sitting agnostics, although my middle son just told me in an offhand way the other day that he's been praying. So who knows where they'll end up.

On the other hand, I don't think I could be married to another theist if their beliefs were not the same as mine. There would be a battle over how the children were raised.

I honestly don't know how a devout Jew could marry any other than another Jew, a muslim another muslim, an LDS another LDS, and many other protestant denominations, etc. since the belief systems are at odds with each other.

Merlin

Holly said:
It depends. While I would strongly prefer to marry someone who is a Catholic, it would not bother me to marry someone who was simply a Christian. I believe that the Bible mentions the "don't be unequally yoked" thing for a reason. ;)
What about a Moslem or a Hindu?

Merlin

Melody said:
On the other hand, I don't think I could be married to another theist if their beliefs were not the same as mine. There would be a battle over how the children were raised.

I honestly don't know how a devout Jew could marry any other than another Jew, a muslim another muslim, an LDS another LDS, and many other protestant denominations, etc. since the belief systems are at odds with each other.
Would you call this the sort of religious apartheid?

Merlin

Melody said:
No...just misguided. :D
Not a very Christian thing to say. Possibly just a tiny bit arrogant? Has it never crossed your mind that it might be you who is misguided?