• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would the world be better off without religion?

My first post. Sorry to start a new thread on a topic already touched by Fire Empire, but I think Fire Empire didn't do justice for the question by limiting it to Christianity and asking from a truly hypothetical standpoint. So, I'll start by saying, like FE, that this is not to offend but to enlighten. I'll use quotes from reliable figures to accentuate my points because nobody says it with more impact than dead people :).

First, a lot of people do need religion I know. People afraid of the unknown are forced to believe in something that lightens this fear, that gives them hope for something better. I'll admit that religion not only sprung from fear, but also from oppression.

"Religion is a byproduct of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity?" - Arthur C. Clarke

Second, it could be argued that religion does no harm. On the flipside, religion does GREAT harm. It limits us intellectually, prevents us from discovering new things, and creates barriers between social classes. Every religion despite it's original intentions does more harm than good by creating social dysfunction and holding back progress.

"I do think the Roman Catholic religion is a disease of the mind which has a particular epidemiology similar to that of a virus... Religion is a terrific meme. That's right. But that doesn't make it true and I care about what's true. Smallpox virus is a terrific virus. It does its job magnificently well. That doesn't mean that it's a good thing. It doesn't mean that I don't want to see it stamped out." - Richard Dawkins

meme - virus of thought

The commonly accepted picture of a Christian, for example, has changed greatly over the years. How followers can change without their source of beliefs (the bible) changing is beyond me, it's either cultural or political. People can't be expected to still follow the exact same teachings of a 2,000 year old book.. people like to talk about the parts of the Bible that make sense and ignore the parts that don't because, like it or not, Christianity was founded by primitives who didn't know that much about the world (proof that they were not divine or inspired by divinity). This is true of all religions, a religion being no more than a widespread cult whose institutions are not taxed by the government.

Forgive me if these ideas are offensive but I feel they are necessary to explore the topic. I only use Christianity primarily because I'm most familiar with it due to my geographic location, a thousand apologies.

Christians generally dislike the idea of science discovering that the Bible lied. Some like to say that science and faith don't contradict each other at all, but this is similar to saying that a drunk man is as gentle as a sober man. To be a scientist is to seek to know, with knowledge being the opposite of faith. To be faithful is to ignore all opposing proof to maintain selected belief. Thus, the faithful oppose science, oppose knowledge, for fear that it may disprove their own beliefs.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." - Benjamin Franklin

"All thinking men are atheists." - Ernest Hemingway

"Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense." - Voltaire

Like I said, the image of a Christian has changed.. but why? God didn't come down and revise the Bible. The Christians revised their interpretations to go along with current thinking, and they'll continue to do this as long as scientists and freethinkers continue to discover and create. If a thinking Christian can admit to this, that his religion is indeed not static and that his beliefs are based on society rather than God, what's so wrong about religion? Nothing, but by realizing this the man seeks to be Christian.

"No man ever believes that the Bible means what it says; he is always convinced that it says what he means." - George Bernard Shaw

"It is true that the modern Christian is less robust, but that is not thanks to Christianity; it is thanks to the generations of freethinkers, who, from the Renaissance to the present day, have made Christians ashamed of many of their traditional beliefs." - Bertrand Russell

"Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world." - Voltaire

Not only this, but Christianity (pardon again, I'm used to using this religion) holds back discovery. After Colombus convinced the Queen of Spain to let him sail to India by heading west, there were numerous assassination attempts by crewmembers who wanted to go back for fear of falling over the edge of the world into Hell (because they didn't know any better, just like the Hebrews who threw the Bible together). When Galileo Galilei realized that the earth was revolving around the sun and not the other way around, like the Bible taught, he was put under house arrest for the rest of his life! Current applications, stem cell research and evolution and cloning is being debased by Christians while non-Christian countries are excelling in these programs. With the re-rise of Christianity thanks to the Bush administration and other current leaders who wish to make the U.S. a theocracy, the value of the American dollar is going to drop pretty quickly...

"We would be 1,500 years ahead if it hadn't been for the church dragging science back by its coattails and burning our best minds at the stake." - Catherine Fahringer

Forgive me if I offended, but I only seek to enlighten. Your Jesus Christ offended the people in power at the time, can't I be doing the same thing? I'll leave you with a few more quotes and sorry for using so many. You can say that I'm standing on the shoulders of giants, won't bother me none ;).

"The pioneers and missionaries of religion have been the real cause of more trouble and war than all other classes of mankind." - Edgar Allen Poe

"During many ages there were witches. The Bible said so. The Bible commanded that they should not be allowed to live. Therefore the Church, after doing its duty in but a lazy and indolent way for 800 years, gathered up its halters, thumbscrews, and firebrands, and set about its holy work in earnest. She worked hard at it night and day during nine centuries and imprisoned, tortured, hanged, and burned whole hordes and armies of witches, and washed the Christian world clean with their foul blood. Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been. One does not know whether to laugh or to cry." - Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

Reactions: s2a

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
Welcome to the board. :) I don't think the world would be better off without religion; as many religions do not impede scientific progress. In fact, many religions encourage scientific progress. While many people use religion as an excuse not to think, religion itself isn't the cause.

Darkdale said:
I don't think the world would be better off without religion; as many religions do not impede scientific progress. In fact, many religions encourage scientific progress. While many people use religion as an excuse not to think, religion itself isn't the cause.
I can agree with you on that point Darkdale. Perhaps religion isn't a bad thing if it's just an individual trying to find inner peace. It IS a bad thing when a religion tries to impose it's belief on others, killing unbelievers or saying, "You're going to hell."

Again, not all Christians are like this anymore. I already explained why.

Buddhism is the one religion I'm familiar with that I can say doesn't cause suffering. It's a group of nature-loving all-tolerant people seeking oneness with the universe. Instead of being good for fear of being sent to hell to burn, they are good so that they don't have to be reborn again. Life is desire, desire is suffering. After finding enlightenment, a Buddhist can die and be one again with the Absolute. Christians, however, they get ONE shot. Be good or burn forever.

There's never been a holy war or crusade or inquistion performed in the name of Buddhism, and Buddhism doesn't feature a narcisistic deity who gets mad when people forget to praise his glory...

I like this angle. Give me the name of a religion that supports scientific progress. I'm not questioning you with sarcasm, but I'd like to know of it so I can study it. I entirely agree with you. Christianity, Islam, Judaism, the big three, are prevent us from progressing morally, intellectually, and scientifically.

And Bush wants to strip atheists of their rights ;). Ridiculous considering that it was the atheists who carved this country.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
apostle_ndr said:
After Colombus convinced the Queen of Spain to let him sail to India by heading west, there were numerous assassination attempts by crewmembers who wanted to go back for fear of falling over the edge of the world into Hell (because they didn't know any better, just like the Hebrews who threw the Bible together).
Augh, this is one of my pet peeves. :bonk: It was well-known in Columbus' time that the world was round. The fairy tale that it wasn't known was invented by Washington Irving.

In response to the original question... not all religions are oppressive things. Though I don't consider mine a religion, it doesn't restrict free thought or impair science. I don't think the world would be better without religion, but I don't think it'd be considerably worse either.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
apostle_ndr said:
I can agree with you on that point Darkdale. Perhaps religion isn't a bad thing if it's just an individual trying to find inner peace. It IS a bad thing when a religion tries to impose it's belief on others, killing unbelievers or saying, "You're going to hell."

I agree with you, for the most part. Heathens, such as myself, tend not to worry about the religious beliefs and dogma of others and we don't try to convince anyone else of our own. Being a Heathen (Asatru/Odinism/Forn Sed, if you are unfamiliar) is about adopting a worldview and following the religious traditions of our pre-Christian Ancestors in Germany, England, Norway, Holland, Ireland and Iceland. The knowledge that remains of these native religions have been put back together, for the most part, by archeologists and anthropologists.

Obviously their religion cannot be entirely duplicated; but we take their gods, their worldview, their values and their rituals and revive the old religions. These traditions are only for people who are interested in them, but there is something beautiful in returning to our roots. :) Hard to describe unless you make the paradigm switch.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello and welcome. Please feel free to introduce yourself over in the introductions area, so that we can get to know you!

I think it's incredibly easy to focus on the negatives of religion. It's much more fascinating, though, to note that everyone is and should be allowed their path. My spirituality hurts no one and it helps me to be me.

joeboonda

God is a spirit; and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth. John 4:24
Would the world be better off without religion? As beings of body, mind, soul, and spirit, we would be losing a fourth of ourselves, so that wouldn't leave anyone better off at all. Would the world be better off without food, water, clothing, love, hope, joy, peace, etc.? We are what we are, why be anything less?

Malus 12:9

Temporarily Deactive.
joeboonda said:
Would the world be better off without food, water, clothing, .?
boonda they are the survival essentials of life; religion is not a survival essential.

love, hope, joy, peace, etc
Dunno what them things are but I am still surviving today...I think

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Mark Twain/ Samuel Clemens is one of my favorite writers, but I must disagree with this-

Then it was discovered that there was no such thing as witches, and never had been.
Not only do I disagree with this being an accurate representation of Christians (you've only got to look around RF to know that's not true), but for as long as there've been humans, there have been witches. People just didn't know where to find us before. :p

animewitch.jpg

Bennettresearch

Politically Incorrect
Cute little witch Feathers,

NDR, Hi,

I think that you are mixing up the bag. I would assume that atheist meant literally that one does not believe in God. What you are representing here is organized religion, and that is an entirely different subject. The scientist, I'll cite hin later if you wish, who said that he had evidence that we are hard-wired for God was on track I believe. There has always been some kind of religion some where throughout our known history. The reson why I don't have a problem with your examples is because I don't consider the Roman Catholic Church or the Fundmentalist Right in the US to represent Christianity. Therefore, it is not Christianity that has held us back in the past but those dogmatic elements that have even restricted the growth of Christianity itself.

You are mistaken on one point, this great country was founded by Theists and Christians, not Atheists. They were against the overpowering churches of Europe, not against God or Christianity. As far as the perspective of a modern Christianity that has the same roots as the older churches, you owe your very existenct to these Christians. You would surely have been burned at the stake by now!

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't think the world would be better without religion. But I think it would be better if more people were to stand up for what they do believe and not merely focus their time and energy tearing down that which they don't believe. I'm not really very impressed with the "anti" someone else mindset.

hand that feeds

Apostle, I liked the quotes you used for the initial post (and are also siding with Fire Empire on the points "they" seem to be making--some memes are exo-toxic and should be eliminated from the ideosphere).

To that effect, and to answer the question, I don't think the world would be better off without religion. However, some religions are definitely outdated and should no longer be practiced, especially when there are better, more rational alternatives to superstition. No doubt this will offend, so let me clarify... These religions I speak of do serve a purpose and do good things in the world. For instance, Christianity has charities (many charities). But one doesn't and shouldn't need a god to help people. Aside from simple memetics, I think the people who subscribe to a religion generally do so because it a) fills a sort of hole in their life, and b) answers questions that they could not find answers to elsewhere. In the case of the latter, I would recommend that they look harder for the answers they're seeking. Only my opinion, sorry if it offends.

The Black Whirlwind

i actually think science is more of a meme than religion. Its corrupting our morality. And no, i dont have any damn sources, so dont ask. Religion gives us hope, and something to live for. It does have its bad moments, yes, but it has brought hope and joy to millions (maybe billions, i dunno) of people over the centuries. The world would be much worse off than it already is without religion.

hand that feeds

TheJedi said:
i actually think science is more of a meme than religion. Its corrupting our morality. And no, i dont have any damn sources, so dont ask. Religion gives us hope, and something to live for. It does have its bad moments, yes, but it has brought hope and joy to millions (maybe billions, i dunno) of people over the centuries. The world would be much worse off than it already is without religion.

First of all, one meme cannot be "more of a meme" than another meme, they can only be more complex. Similarly, the common flu is not more of a virus than HIV, it is simply less complicated. Second, science does not deal with anything that you cannot observe and collect data on (directly). Therefore, since morality is an idea, and not an object, they have nothing to do with one another. Thirdly, science also gives us hope. For instance, without the insight gained through science, we would not have the hope of prolonging our naturally brief lifespans (i.e. life extension research). The more science helps us to understand ourselves and the world we live in, the better off everyone is. Forthly, I'm surprised that a Jedi would have such a negative view of science. Without science, there would be no "Star Wars".

Out of complete respect to your sources, please link me to where you found this out. I did a brief surface check on Google and couldn't find anything except that Irving wrote a dramatic biography on Columbus.. except what I found said that the exaggeration came from his supposed discovery of America, not that a spherical earth was commonly accepted at his time. I've never read anything by Irving and had always been taught otherwise, so I can't take your word for it without reliable sources.

In response to the original question... not all religions are oppressive things.
In my second post, I acknowledged this. Buddhists have never oppressed any group of people. Other religion like Islam and Christianity have supported oppression on unbelievers/heretics/infidels since their conception, and still to do it today. I also said before that the image of the Christian has changed, and to paraphrase Bertrand Russell, the change of the Christian faith isn't because of the Christians but because of the atheists who have guilt tripped them into changing their oppressive ways.

Would the world be better off without religion? As beings of body, mind, soul, and spirit, we would be losing a fourth of ourselves, so that wouldn't leave anyone better off at all.
We're biotic beings just like a squirrel or a cockroach or a cancer cell. Essentially, we are in no way made up of a "soul" or "spirit" in the physical or metaphysical sense. There aren't parts of us floating around in space that linger on after our death, but that's just me and I'm not Christian. You assume that your religion is valid and use its validity to defend your argument. A "soul" might exist, but I think it prefers to be called "morality".. which is another something I can get onto in a later post. Even "morality" then can be thrown in with "mind". And, with mind being synapses and neurones flipping on and off in our brains like (currently) overly-complicated binary switches, the "mind" is basically a part of the body. Thus, we are nothing but body :).

...but for as long as there've been humans, there have been witches. People just didn't know where to find us before.
Can you give me your definition of a witch, and can I assume for the moment that you meant that you are a witch.. do you use the powers of Satan to perform magic? This is why Christians went on a bloody rampage. Do you use the powers of nature, or Gaia (is this the right term?), for confidence? I don't understand witchcraft and I know that the modern idea of a witch has been drastically changed thanks to the cinema.. I really don't mean to offend. I ask purely for enhancing my own knowledge. I have my own ideas on witchcraft and disagree with it as much as I disagree with myself being a vampire.. but I have nothing against it as a spiritual endeavour. Self-fulfilling prophecy, if I use a spell to do good on a quiz it will give me more confidence and I might do good on that quiz, like that. I'm very sorry. I really lost track of what a witch is today :). I had a friend who claimed to be a witch, doing the tarot readings and all that...

As for it being an accurate description of what Christianity is, it's as accurate as anything can get. Christianity is supposed to follow the Bible. I don't read the Bible and can't give a verse, but I can find one if you insist, so I can only say.. if the Bible says that Christians should kill witches, then you'd be a hypocrite not to kill witches.

Note: I used to be in love with your Avatar, Belldandy.

The scientist, I'll cite hin later if you wish, who said that he had evidence that we are hard-wired for God was on track I believe.
Just give me his name. I'll see myself the experiment and infallible data he used to come up with this conclusion.

There has always been some kind of religion some where throughout our known history.
Because our known history may have begun when people learned how to write or communicate in pictorial form. Around this, the spark of creativity, the primitive peoples could have came up with the campfire stories of gods and demons and scary monsters to explain things they couldn't understand.. like lightning and earthquakes and rain. Over time, these "myths" grew into religions and spread, mixed, destroyed one another. The people in power, ie. those with the bigger stick, would want his beliefs spread around to neighboring tribes. They become civilized in different parts of the world and at different rates due to environmental conditions, thus we have a booming industry in England and headhunting cannibal tribes in Africa. Whoever has the biggest stick tells everyone else what to believe, and the Romans accidently converted mostly everyone to Christianity :(. Rome falls, Christianity breaks into a thousand pieces, mixes with other religions, mutates (like any successful virus would). We have those who follow Judaism, those who follow Islam, those who follow Christianity, and they're each saying that the other is going to hell. We have the thousands of other religions in the world doing their own thing as well. In the end, everybody is going to somebody's hell :).

You are mistaken on one point, this great country was founded by Theists and Christians, not Atheists. They were against the overpowering churches of Europe, not against God or Christianity.
Since the majority of Americans today happen to be Christians, it's common that they'd teach that their country was founded as a Christian nation. I'd like to argue that all the signers of the Constitution were atheists, or at the very least irreligious. Here are quotes from our forefathers (and the masterminds of our freedoms), the kind that our state-paid History teachers don't like to cover:

Article 11 in the Treaty of Tripoli, John Adams writes, "The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion."

"The divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for absurdity." - John Adams

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise." - James Madison

"I have never seen the slightest scientific proof of the religious ideas of heaven and hell, of future life for individuals, or of a personal God." - Thomas Edison

"Lighthouses are more helpful than churches." - Benjamin Franklin

"Leave the matter of religion to the family altar, the church, and the private schools, supported entirely by private contributions. Keep the church and the state forever separated." - Ulysses S. Grant

"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

As far as the perspective of a modern Christianity that has the same roots as the older churches, you owe your very existenct to these Christians. You would surely have been burned at the stake by now!
I thankfully attribute the fact that I've not been burned at the stake for heresy to atheists. If Christians had their way and could ignore my Constitutional rights, you can bet I'd be on the rack for sure! I can't give to modern Christianity this same backwards gratitude as the atheists who are still being murdered today by fundamentalists.. like the atheist soldier who was killed by his Christian comrades for example. Or all the homosexuals having their rights stripped because it goes against our traditional view on marriage (it's just a piece of paper!)

But I think it would be better if more people were to stand up for what they do believe and not merely focus their time and energy tearing down that which they don't believe. I'm not really very impressed with the "anti" someone else mindset.
I'm antichrist. I am standing up for what I believe in, which is the destruction of organized religion for the betterment of mankind. What would you say to an antirapist? Not impressed? You're not impressed only that I'm antichrist and you're Christian, so I offend you. I'm sorry about this, I debate only to enhance my knowledge and yours, not to offend anyone.

I absolutely agree with everything you say, Hand that Feeds. However, I think I'm abusing the quote system. Should I start using " " instead? Not sure how this works.

It does have its bad moments, yes, but it has brought hope and joy to millions (maybe billions, i dunno) of people over the centuries.
.. and also death and suffering to millions or billions of people. Would you support Adolf Hitler if he was against abortion? A few good things about organized religions like Christianity.. it's hard to use these few things to cover up the amazingly MASSIVE laundry list of injustices and wrongdoings performed by the Church and its followers. We don't need God, we're not hardwired for it, we're hardwired for morality, and we don't need a supreme invisible all-knowing all-powerful being to tell us what to do. "Do unto others" is good enough.