• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would Jesus put up with the very wealthy and very poor?

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
I showed you a number of improbable events, ring structure, verbatim lines from the OT. There are many many more examples. Jesus scoring highest on the Rank Ragalin mythotype scale (higher than any other fictional character) is another marker of myth.

Unfortunately all you did is write "junk" after each example. You provided no argument, no reason why, no counter analysis, no debunking, no example that you even understood what was being said. It was as if I put the argument to a 9 year old and they just said "no" each time.
I will not waste time on evidence you cannot understand.

So you cannot show any more examples, Joel?
The ones I dismissed are ones that you had already dismissed.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Dr Richard Carrier, author On the Historicity of Jesus, peer-reviewed
Historicity Big and Small: How Historians Try to Rescue Jesus • Richard Carrier
Richard Carrier stapled parts of the gospels to the writings of Paul and also to ancient mythology.

But sadly for Carrier Apostle Paul did not know anything about what Jesus actually did or said (apart from during his last 36 hours) which rather throws much of Carrier's borrowed works in to touch.

Scholars believe John the Baptist is a historical figure. The interpretations of what Josephus is saying about him I'm not up to speed on and it's not directly related to Christian mythology.
Very good........ I've started to teach you something, it seems?

joelr

A quick lesson in Individual investigation.
Choose a name from the above list of scholars.
Investigate that one scholar. OK.

Dominic Crossan........ who actually does believe that a Jesus did exist, who travelled through Galilee with friends and survived through his 'magic for meals' initiatives.

Read and Learn.....

Magic and Meal: Miracle and Covenant – Wheat & Tares
https://wheatandtares.org › 2011/05/28 › magic-and-me...

John Dominic Crossan, The Historical Jesus. In a post earlier this month, I wrote about Crossan's interpretation of Jesus' advocacy of a “brokerless ...

Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography - Grace Evangelical Society
https://faithalone.org › journal-articles › book-reviews

John Dominic Crossan is one of the more influential members of the “Jesus Seminar” (a group of 74 ... Crossan calls this combination “magic and meal.

John Dominic Crossan Quotes (Author of The Historical Jesus)
https://www.goodreads.com › author › 43692.John_Do...

43 quotes from John Dominic Crossan: 'My point, once again, is not that those ancient ... The deliberate conjunction of magic and meal, miracle and table, ...

The Miracles of Jesus: Three Basic Questions for the Historian
https://www.jstor.org › stable

by JP Meier · 1996 · Cited by 4 — magic and hence that Jesus was a Jewish magician. ... of John Dominic Crossan, see his The Historical Jesus: The Life of a Mediterranean Jewish
A quick lesson in Individual investigation.
Choose a name from the above list of scholars.
Investigate that one scholar. OK.

Dominic Crossan........ who actually does believe that a Jesus did exist, who travelled through Galilee with friends and survived through his 'magic for meals' initiatives.

Read and Learn.....

Magic and Meal: Miracle and Covenant – Wheat & Tares
https://wheatandtares.org › 2011/05/28 › magic-and-me...

John Dominic Crossan, The Historical Jesus. In a post earlier this month, I wrote about Crossan's interpretation of Jesus' advocacy of a “brokerless ...

Jesus: A Revolutionary Biography - Grace Evangelical Society
https://faithalone.org › journal-articles › book-reviews

John Dominic Crossan is one of the more influential members of the “Jesus Seminar” (a group of 74 ... Crossan calls this combination “magic and meal.

John Dominic Crossan Quotes (Author of The Historical Jesus)
https://www.goodreads.com › author › 43692.John_Do...

43 quotes from John Dominic Crossan: 'My point, once again, is not that those ancient ... The deliberate conjunction of magic and meal, miracle and table, ...

The Miracles of Jesus: Three Basic Questions for the Historian
https://www.jstor.org › stable

by JP Meier · 1996 · Cited by 4 — magic and hence that Jesus was a Jewish magician. ... of John Dominic Crossan, see his The Historical Jesus: The Life of a Mediterranean Jewish

Whoopsy. Did you not think I've read all those authors?
Crossan believes in a historical Jesus. Meaning a man, who was a Rabbi. He believes the resurrection is a mythical story that has an inner meaning that society needs to be resurrected and born again to a more spiritual lifestyle.

He believes the demigod stories are myth and they used Jesus (who was a man) as the character. Like Mark Hamill played Luke Skywal;ker.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The kind that ignores the scholarship inside the religion and won't accept long known facts like the gospels are anonymous, names added in the 2nd century, Mark was the source and Matthew is a creative re-interpretation, among other things.
But I recognise that the author of Mark was a partial witness, and definitely a witness at the arrest of Jesus.

Sometimes it's best to put down your cherry-picked scholars and do some work for yourself, Joel

joelr

So you cannot show any more examples, Joel?
The ones I dismissed are ones that you had already dismissed.

You didn't dismiss. You just said "junk". Dismissing them means you have to demonstrate why they were not being copied verbatim or explain why Mark used OT lines verbatim even though the story is true. Provide sources and examples.
You did nothing. So you cannot deal with the evidence. Interesting that you continue to employ fantasies. Now besides having fantasy beliefs not supported in Christian scholarship you have fantasies that you "debunked" examples? This is pure delusion?

There are pages and pages of examples, if you think writing "
junk" means anything you are as loopy as you sound. I don'tcare how delusional you are, I just want information. Clearly you cannot provide me any so why would I waste my time? You can remain in fantasy world.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Crossan believes in a historical Jesus. Meaning a man, who was a Rabbi.
Excellent!
So you do accept that Jesus was a real person.
Ergo, so you do accept that some of the stories about Jesus are based upon fact.

You're learning.

He believes the resurrection is a mythical story that has an inner meaning that society needs to be resurrected and born again to a more spiritual lifestyle.
He believes the demigod stories are myth and they used Jesus (who was a man) as the character.
So Jesus was a real person, with a real campaign, but the resurrection is junk.
You see?
.....junk......... I think that bit is junk. Do I have to teach you why I think it's junk, or can we just agree about that bit?

Like Mark Hamill played Luke Skywal;ker.
Your poor analogies don't really work, Joel

joelr

Richard Carrier stapled parts of the gospels to the writings of Paul and also to ancient mythology.

But sadly for Carrier Apostle Paul did not know anything about what Jesus actually did or said (apart from during his last 36 hours) which rather throws much of Carrier's borrowed works in to touch.

Wow, are you ok? You didn't read any Carrier that's for sure. Carrier knows Paul only mentions visions and revelations. Mark does use Pauls letters when crafting earthly narratives. Carrier gives evidence of tha. Evidence isn't sometyhing you are familiar with so never mind that.

Very good........ I've started to teach you something, it seems?

sorry, no, I understood John the Baptist was a historical figure.

joelr

But I recognise that the author of Mark was a partial witness, and definitely a witness at the arrest of Jesus.

Sometimes it's best to put down your cherry-picked scholars and do some work for yourself, Joel

And look - no evidence, just fantasy.

"For example, that Mark emulates stories and lifts ideas from the Psalms, Deuteronomy, the Kings literature, and so on, is well established and not rationally deniable. That he likewise lifts from and riffs on Paul’s Epistles is, as you can now see, fairly hard to deny. By contrast, we have exactly no evidence whatever that anything in Mark came to him by oral tradition. It is thus curious that anyone still assumes some of it did. That Mark’s sources and methods were literary is well proved. That any of his sources or methods were oral in character is, by contrast, a baseless presumption. "

Carrier

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You didn't dismiss. You just said "junk". Dismissing them means you have to demonstrate why they were not being copied verbatim or explain why Mark used OT lines verbatim even though the story is true. Provide sources and examples.
You did nothing. So you cannot deal with the evidence. Interesting that you continue to employ fantasies. Now besides having fantasy beliefs not supported in Christian scholarship you have fantasies that you "debunked" examples? This is pure delusion?
No Joel........... I don't need to prove to you that I agree with you about those particular verses.
I don't need to wave a scholar flag for any of those verses...... My studies of the gospels show me that those events did not happen.

There are pages and pages of examples, if you think writing "
junk" means anything you are as loopy as you sound. I don'tcare how delusional you are, I just want information. Clearly you cannot provide me any so why would I waste my time? You can remain in fantasy world.
So you can't offer any more verses for appraisal, which means that the vast majority of verses and reports had some truth in them, bago down there?
sed upon the balance of probabilities.

I asked you to pick any verses that I did not junk for a brief explanation by me as to why they might be real, but you failed to do that.

Can I ask you, do you think that the story of the night run across the Lake to the Gadarenes was pure fiction? It's very probably true, Joel.
What fish could be caught in the Lake?
What fish could be eaten by Jews?
Who lived down along the Gadarenes?
What did those folks eat? Who were they?
Why would boatmen from Capernaum, Magdala etc go down there?
Why at night?

Ask your scholars, maybe?

joelr

Excellent!
So you do accept that Jesus was a real person.
Ergo, so you do accept that some of the stories about Jesus are based upon fact.

You're learning.

Bigger facepalm. Crossan believes there was a man. He also believes the myth about a resurrection means it's a metaphor about society. No historian agrees with that.

Carrier and many current scholars are now backing the full mythicist position.
It doesn't matter. The consensus is that the gospels are a myth. A human Jesus or wholecloth myth, doesn't matter.

So Jesus was a real person, with a real campaign, but the resurrection is junk.
You see?
.....junk......... I think that bit is junk. Do I have to teach you why I think it's junk, or can we just agree about that bit?

Carriers' recent book gives plenty of evidence that even Jesus is a mythical character. Many scholars have switched to his position.
Nothing Jesus was preaching wasn't already in Jewish theology.
Hillel the Elder - Wikipedia

Your poor analogies don't really work, Joel

Demonstrate one poor analogy and explain why it's poor. If you cannot provide evidence your saying nothing.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Wow, are you ok? You didn't read any Carrier that's for sure. Carrier knows Paul only mentions visions and revelations. Mark does use Pauls letters when crafting earthly narratives. Carrier gives evidence of tha. Evidence isn't sometyhing you are familiar with so never mind that.
There, so you can forget about the idea of Carrier destroying the whole account about Jesus, who was probably a true historical figure.

sorry, no, I understood John the Baptist was a historical figure.
Excellent. Joel admits that John the Baptist was a real person!
It's nice when you win, even little bits and pieces.

Now......... do you understand that Jesus was an historical figure?

joelr

No Joel........... I don't need to prove to you that I agree with you about those particular verses.
I don't need to wave a scholar flag for any of those verses...... My studies of the gospels show me that those events did not happen.

You just said "junk", now you claim you agree these were actually copied by Mark from OT sources. So I was correct.

So you can't offer any more verses for appraisal, which means that the vast majority of verses and reports had some truth in them, bago down there?
sed upon the balance of probabilities.

I asked you to pick any verses that I did not junk for a brief explanation by me as to why they might be real, but you failed to do that.

I told you why.
I will tell you a verse in Mark that is made up, the last supper. It's a riff off Pauls letters. There is a chiasmus in Mark 12 that has no possibility of happening in real life.

Carrier details endless examples of Mark using Paul's letters and crafting earthly narratives.

Can I ask you, do you think that the story of the night run across the Lake to the Gadarenes was pure fiction? It's very probably true, Joel.
What fish could be caught in the Lake?
What fish could be eaten by Jews?
Who lived down along the Gadarenes?
What did those folks eat? Who were they?
Why would boatmen from Capernaum, Magdala etc go down there?
Why at night?

Ask your scholars, maybe?

I do not care about lake stories. I care about savior demigods and all the supernatural claims being shown to be borrowed myth.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
And look - no evidence, just fantasy.
"For example, that Mark emulates stories and lifts ideas from the Psalms, Deuteronomy, the Kings literature, and so on, is well established and not rationally deniable. That he likewise lifts from and riffs on Paul’s Epistles is, as you can now see, fairly hard to deny. By contrast, we have exactly no evidence whatever that anything in Mark came to him by oral tradition. It is thus curious that anyone still assumes some of it did. That Mark’s sources and methods were literary is well proved. That any of his sources or methods were oral in character is, by contrast, a baseless presumption. "

Carrier

No........ we've already agreed that the Baptist was a real person offering cleansing in the Jordan for nothing, (thus cutting off the Temple's income, as well as the income's of the service providers around the city). Carrier must not junk the whole gospel just because he can see that parts of the story were lifted from the Epistles of Paul, but since Paul never wrote anything about Jesus or his campaign (apart from the last hours) ...so Carrier's suggestions cannot destroy the whole work.

What does Carrier say about the arrest in Gethsemane? I know you don't have any position on it, so you had better quote Carrier.

joelr

There, so you can forget about the idea of Carrier destroying the whole account about Jesus, who was probably a true historical figure.

Another monumentally incorrect statement. You simply don't vale truth. Carrier analyzes all 20,000 words in the authentic Epistles.

Excellent. Joel admits that John the Baptist was a real person!
It's nice when you win, even little bits and pieces.

YOur delusions are getting a bit concerning. I already said I knew he was a historical figure. Why you keep patting yourself on the back for a fiction is getting creepy?

Now......... do you understand that Jesus was an historical figure?

Now that you have presented zero evidence and failed to counter any single piece of evidence. Except for the evidence that you ended up finally saying you agree with?

Jesus is most likely a myth.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
You just said "junk", now you claim you agree these were actually copied by Mark from OT sources. So I was correct.
Yes.... we both junked that story.
Joel got one right.

I told you why.
I will tell you a verse in Mark that is made up, the last supper. It's a riff off Pauls letters. There is a chiasmus in Mark 12 that has no possibility of happening in real life.

Carrier details endless examples of Mark using Paul's letters and crafting earthly narratives.
So dump it! It is junk!
I don't think that the last supper happened.

So what else have you got to junk? You've got a whole lot of gospel left, Joel.

I do not care about lake stories. I care about savior demigods and all the supernatural claims being shown to be borrowed myth.
Ah ha! So you haven't got any education about the fishermen of the lake, fishing, weather, inhabitants, net types, taxation on and off the lake, probable scams, etc.........
So the lake story will be left alone by you because you cannot disprove it. Good.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Now that you have presented zero evidence and failed to counter any single piece of evidence. Except for the evidence that you ended up finally saying you agree with?

Jesus is most likely a myth.

Ah ah! Naughty! You showed that you accept Dominic Crosson's work, so you surely accept that Jesus was a real historical figure.

Sorted.

joelr

No........ we've already agreed that the Baptist was a real person offering cleansing in the Jordan for nothing, (thus cutting off the Temple's income, as well as the income's of the service providers around the city). Carrier must not junk the whole gospel just because he can see that parts of the story were lifted from the Epistles of Paul, but since Paul never wrote anything about Jesus or his campaign (apart from the last hours) ...so Carrier's suggestions cannot destroy the whole work.

What does Carrier say about the arrest in Gethsemane? I know you don't have any position on it, so you had better quote Carrier.
Mark takes narratives from Paul, older fiction and the OT as well as obvious Hellenism.
You seem vastly uneducated on Marks use of Paul.

Many exmples from Carriers book on Marks use of Paul are detailed here:

Mark's Use of Paul's Epistles • Richard Carrier

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Demonstrate one poor analogy and explain why it's poor. If you cannot provide evidence your saying nothing.
Your occasional use of film stories like Star Wars characters cannot help you with a debate about the historical Jesus, Joel.
I notice that weak debaters often use analogies because they haven't got any sound evidence to offer.
I suggest you drop that type of approach, is all.

joelr

Yes.... we both junked that story.
Joel got one right.

So dump it! It is junk!
I don't think that the last supper happened.

So what else have you got to junk? You've got a whole lot of gospel left, Joel.

Ah ha! So you haven't got any education about the fishermen of the lake, fishing, weather, inhabitants, net types, taxation on and off the lake, probable scams, etc.........
So the lake story will be left alone by you because you cannot disprove it. Good.

What has been demonstrated is that Mark wrote the gospel using older fiction, Pauls letters and based on other evidence Jesus is a made up character.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Mark takes narratives from Paul, older fiction and the OT as well as obvious Hellenism.
You seem vastly uneducated on Marks use of Paul.

Many exmples from Carriers book on Marks use of Paul are detailed here:

Mark's Use of Paul's Epistles • Richard Carrier
I asked you 'What does Carrier say about the arrest in Gethsemane'!
I asked for a reason. I think much of that account is real and that it was witnessed by the author of G-Mark.