• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would an Abrahamic God deserve our forgiveness?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
मैत्रावरुणिः;3470791 said:
I was sympathizing with you when I said it is to be "expected". It's the duty of the adherents, myself included, to set the matter straight. Ironically, for Hindus, though, the misconceptions have usually been coming from within at more frequent rates than from outside. Nonetheless, I understand and sympathize with your point. Either way, I prefer Christ over Christianity any day similar to how many prefer Lord Shri Krishna over a conglomerated Hinduism.

If you want the truth, I love Jesus more than I love Christianity. I can't separate myself from other Christians, not that I want to. People generalize others, it's nothing new, but generalizations never fit the whole group and usually just a small part of any group.
And thank you. :)

Skwim

Veteran Member
There are some things you guys didn't think of: 1. We Christians read the Bible and we know the stories included in the various books. 2. A lot of us study the meanings of these stories. 3. Our viewpoint is not going to be the same as yours.
:)
Okay. :shrug:

Skwim

Veteran Member
What??? When did I ever tell anyone they were going to hell? When did I ever proselytize to someone who didn't want it? I never have.
Well, when I read the unqualified word "us" with no specifics appended to identify the others in this "us" I'm left to conclude that you mean other Christians. Most certainly it wouldn't mean "I" as in yourself, because if that had been your intention then I'm fairly certain you would have written "I" and not "us." So, proceeding with this ambiguous "us," in which I did included you---saw no reason not to---I felt comfortable enumerating some of your "fellow" Christians' more loathsome undertakings. Of course, in as much as you now tell us you don't qualify for inclusion with these USes, feel released from their company.

In any case, when you asked " give us the same courtesy as we give you" the implication is that by listing all the bad stuff god has done I was being discourteous to you (us?). What next, telling you that your sugar-laden breakfast food contains a lot of sugar is discourteous? Or telling you that your red dress is not white but red, is discourteous? Where do you draw this line where informing you of facts becomes discourteous?

And God isn't a sore spot with me. I don't judge God by human standards.
But obviously telling you some of the facts about your god is.

I have very hard time believing that every single Christian you have met has condemned you to hell. And I also have a very hard time believing that every single Christian is going to Washington to coerce all our elected officials.
Depends on who you meant by your "us." Like I said, "when I read the unqualified word "us" with no specifics appended to identify the others in this "us," I'm left to conclude that you mean other Christians." Not all Christians, because that's not what "us" necessarily implies, but whatever Christians I choose to include, because you didn't bother to tell me who you meant by your "us." Want to be better understood, then you might want to write with a bit more precision.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Well, when I read the unqualified word "us" with no specifics appended to identify the others in this "us" I'm left to conclude that you mean other Christians. Most certainly it wouldn't mean "I" as in yourself, because if that had been your intention then I'm fairly certain you would have written "I" and not "us." So, proceeding with this ambiguous "us," in which I did included you---saw no reason not to---I felt comfortable enumerating some of your "fellow" Christians' more loathsome undertakings. Of course, in as much as you now tell us you don't qualify for inclusion with these USes, feel released from their company.

In any case, when you asked " give us the same courtesy as we give you" the implication is that by listing all the bad stuff god has done I was being discourteous to you (us?). What next, telling you that your sugar-laden breakfast food contains a lot of sugar is discourteous? Or telling you that your red dress is not white but red, is discourteous? Where do you draw this line where informing you of facts becomes discourteous?

But obviously telling you some of the facts about your god is.

Depends on who you meant by your "us." Like I said, "when I read the unqualified word "us" with no specifics appended to identify the others in this "us," I'm left to conclude that you mean other Christians." Not all Christians, because that's not what "us" necessarily implies, but whatever Christians I choose to include, because you didn't bother to tell me who you meant by your "us." Want to be better understood, then you might want to write with a bit more precision.

From what I can tell when ChristineES posts it's a much more liberal view of Christianity, not the basic conservative one. The liberal view tends to focus more on the teachings of Jesus more so than the dogmatic practices.

dantech

This thread makes no sense....
It sounds a bit like something Homer Simpson once said:
Can Jesus microwave a burrito so hot, that he himself could not eat it?

TheMusicTheory

Lord of Diminished 5ths
This thread makes no sense....
It sounds a bit like something Homer Simpson once said:
Can Jesus microwave a burrito so hot, that he himself could not eat it?

What doesn't make sense about it? It seems like a valid philosophical question.

Skwim

Veteran Member
It's enthusiasm for god-bashing run amok.
Because the default attitude is suppose to be, "Yes, you are most correct dear Christian/Jew. Your god is a delightful wonder among wonders. And when you describe all his magnificence how can one not see his good writ large." Well, the cold facts as related in your literature are that he's no such a character at all. So, while you choose to sweep these questionable accomplishments of his under the rug, something I have no problem with, please stop trying to convince us that the huge hump you've made is immaterial. Don't want your god "bashed"? then don't try selling him as something he's not. Stop the sales pitch and I'm certain the "bashing" will decrease tremendously.

Live and let live or stir up a hornets' nest and get stung. Doesn't seem that difficult to grasp. :shrug:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No, I would never forgive the "god" of the Bible if he did exist. He is one cruel, nasty, genocidal, hateful and just generally malevolent character. He would have to be put on trial and destroyed for all his crimes against the lifeforms of Earth.

But I lean more towards that character probably being some sort of ET who was playing cruel games with fearful humans rather than any actual Divine being.

Skwim

Veteran Member
ChristineES said:
Look, if it makes you feel better believing that, then go ahead and believe it. But it's not true.
Okay. However, when people say things like :

ChristineES said:
मैत्रावरुणिः said:
That's a whole lotta murderin' goin' on. It's very surprising no Christian on RF has addressed your post. Is all of that really in the Bible?
There is no reason to address it. If I were to address it, I wouldn't be defending God, I would be defending myself and other Christians. God doesn't need me to defend Him and I see no reason to defend myself. If you don't like what my scriptures say, then so be it. Don't follow the faith, no one is forcing you to.

It comes across as indignant resentment; pique. And looking for some reason for this slight I can only conclude that God's behavior is a sore spot with you. If this isn't it, then why the curt response, particularly when =मैत्रावरुणिः only expressed surprise
"It's very surprising no Christian on RF has addressed your post."
and asked a question:
"Is all of that really in the Bible?"

To these two simple remarks you come back with a derisive.
If you don't like what my scriptures say, then so be it. Don't follow the faith, no one is forcing you to.

Obviously you're dealing with some kind of issues so I won't pursue the matter any further.

Just have a good day ChristineES.
icon14.gif

Skwim

Last edited:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Okay. However, when people say things like :

It comes across as indignant resentment; pique. And looking for some reason for this slight I can only conclude that God's behavior is a sore spot with you. If this isn't it, then why the curt response, particularly when =मैत्रावरुणिः only expressed surprise
"It's very surprising no Christian on RF has addressed your post."
and asked a question:
"Is all of that really in the Bible?"

To these two simple remarks you come back with a derisive.
If you don't like what my scriptures say, then so be it. Don't follow the faith, no one is forcing you to.

Obviously you're dealing with some kind of issues so I won't pursue the matter any further.

Just have a good day ChristineES.
icon14.gif

Skwim

I wasn't being derisive. If that's the way you saw it, what can I say. You are reading emotions that aren't there. I am not angry, I am not even aggravated or anything. I am not sure how you expect people to react when you constantly attack their faith.

Last edited:

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
The question is understandable but invalid. All you needed to do is search for the answer in your own mind.

Personalities are based on the varying degrees and configurations of goodness and knowledge. This includes every relationship, human or otherwise.

God puts the responsibility of human affairs in human hands. If no one was ignorant of anything, being like God, there would be no action and no reaction. No movement. Ignorance is an opportunity to learn and personalize yourself by overcoming undesired reactions. Yet, this still allows for an undesired reaction to occur in times where they are desirable or necessary.

Can God marry? Give birth? Sing? Laugh? Cry? Sigh? Walk? Run?

He'd have to personalize the entire situation to do any one of these things. Why did you overlook what was said, that God became man by emptying into form?

Last edited:

payak

What attracts people to my religion (faith) is love and mercy. Jesus spoke constantly of love, mercy, forgiveness, being blessed.

It seems that Christ was exactly that,a loving teacher.

The bad things pointed out always come from the ot, how relevant is the ot to christians who follow the teachings of Christ of the nt.

Should the ot be sold seperatly then the nt as Christ clearly had different views.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It seems that Christ was exactly that,a loving teacher.

The bad things pointed out always come from the ot, how relevant is the ot to Christians who follow the teachings of Christ of the nt.

Should the ot be sold separately then the nt as Christ clearly had different views.

No, not at all. I have read the Tanakh many times. I see most of the stories included to be about the humans who followed God, some maybe allegorical, some might be legends, and others might be literal. There is a lot of good things written in there, but since I don't take it as a list of rules, I think I will be all right. :)

payak

No, not at all. I have read the Tanakh many times. I see most of the stories included to be about the humans who followed God, some maybe allegorical, some might be legends, and others might be literal. There is a lot of good things written in there, but since I don't take it as a list of rules, I think I will be all right. :)

Cool, good to see your religion has given you so much.

My Abbott would say if your religion works for you do not change it.

Forgive me if at times I sound offensive,followed properly Christianity is a beautiful religion.

dantech

What doesn't make sense about it? It seems like a valid philosophical question.

Because the default attitude is suppose to be, "Yes, you are most correct dear Christian/Jew. Your god is a delightful wonder among wonders. And when you describe all his magnificence how can one not see his good writ large." Well, the cold facts as related in your literature are that he's no such a character at all. So, while you choose to sweep these questionable accomplishments of his under the rug, something I have no problem with, please stop trying to convince us that the huge hump you've made is immaterial. Don't want your god "bashed"? then don't try selling him as something he's not. Stop the sales pitch and I'm certain the "bashing" will decrease tremendously.

Live and let live or stir up a hornets' nest and get stung. Doesn't seem that difficult to grasp. :shrug:

First of all, you can say what you want about Christians, but Judaism is a non-proselytizing religion, so to say that we should "stop the sales pitch" is the first part of this thread that makes no sense.

Next, to ask if a God, who we believe is perfect in every way, would deserve forgiveness, which would require doing wrong in the first place, makes no sense for so many reasons that I just don't feel I need to explain.

Also, I doubt this question is pointed towards people who don't believe in the Abrahamic God, because that in itself would not make sense either...

Since this question is only valid to those who believe in this God, it automatically makes no sense since His believers would not doubt Him or require from Him to ask for forgiveness.

Now if you were indeed one to believe in God, yet believe him to be the cruel egotistic being that you portray him to be, then he would never ask for your forgiveness, now would he? Again, this question makes no sense.

PS: It's always very refreshing to see others teaching us about OUR literature.