• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would a radical/progressive pope be a good thing?

Fluffy

A fool
JPII was great in all areas except for his lack of progress in the Church's attitudes towards sexual issues. I've heard that all the candidates are much more conservative than him however.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
I hope not. I will definately never join if that happens. To me Catholic is Catholic, if you don't like, LEAVE. Why stay and try and change something when you can go on your merry own way and do your own things somewhere else? Heck if you wanted you could declare yourself bishop of a religion that you invent. Let people who like it the way it is keep it that way!

It ain't broke, so don't fix it!

Halfling418

I think what was mentioned earlier about most of the world being Catholic was that Christianity is the largest main religion, and Catholics are the largest group of Christians.

And the stance of weather a fetus is a baby or not--I think the point is that if it wasn't aborted it would become a baby; at which point this occurs is up to you.

Prima

***MOD POST***

Please stay on topic, ladies and gents.

*UNmod!*

johnnys, churches survive through change. If you keep something the same, it becomes corrupt or just uncomfortable. What if we were still selling indulgences, for example? There are a lot of changes that have been brought about in the Catholic Church that helped it survive.

As far as radical/progressive.. Benedict XVI is smart, and he was close to JPII. He won't be either of these, I think. But if he were...the Catholic Church has a way of sorting itself out and surviving. Like Hegel said: "That which is right survives, and that which survives is right" So if he makes a bad decision, it won't last :)

Druidus

Keeper of the Grove
I hope not. I will definately never join if that happens. To me Catholic is Catholic, if you don't like, LEAVE. Why stay and try and change something when you can go on your merry own way and do your own things somewhere else? Heck if you wanted you could declare yourself bishop of a religion that you invent. Let people who like it the way it is keep it that way!
Hmmm? Well I guess we should never have had a radical man such as Jesus, who "fixed" the "unbroken" Judaistic religion. Christianity should never have come into existence, Judaism wasn't broken, so it shouldn't have been fixed. As a matter of fact, we should all be worshipping the Mother Goddess, of ancient days, because that wasn't broken either. Change happens, in any religion. Religions morph to fit the changing cultural and societal norms. If they didn't, they'd die out. Gone are the days when churches shape these norms.

Scott1

Druidus said:
Hmmm? Well I guess we should never have had a radical man such as Jesus, who "fixed" the "unbroken" Judaistic religion. Christianity should never have come into existence, Judaism wasn't broken, so it shouldn't have been fixed
I'll ignore how silly this statement is and remind you this thread is about a radical/progressive pope.

linwood

To me Catholic is Catholic, if you don't like, LEAVE. Why stay and try and change something when you can go on your merry own way and do your own things somewhere else?

With that logic the Church would still teach that the sun revolves around the Earth and that evolution never happened.

Change is inevitable.
Thats why objective morality is a falsity.