• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Worldly Self-denial vs. Spiritual Selflessness

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Worldly self-denial is rooted in individuality and worldliness, comes from fear of personal inadequacy/inferiority, seems burdensome and sacrificial, leaves a sense of being invisible and irrelevant to the world, leads to envy, bitterness and self-loathing, is a loss of self that feels like a curse and is an inhibition.

Spiritual selflessness is rooted in a sense of oneness with the whole, comes from humility towards and faith in others, feels inspiring and contributive, increases compassion for and attentiveness towards others, is freedom from self-interest and self-obsession, which feels like a wonderful secret and is a blessing.

A previous thread by @SigurdReginson got me thinking that though these differences are not always obvious to an onlooker, they may be rather fundamental and perhaps a failure to distinguish them explain why I at times encounter those who claim that I encourage others to belittle themselves...?

That has never been my intention.

Humbly
Hermit

RestlessSoul

Destruction of self-centredness is not the same as self destruction.

"It meant destruction of self centredness. I must turn in all things to the Father of Light, who presides over us all. These were revolutionary and drastic proposals, but the moment I fully accepted them, the effect was electric. There was a sense of victory, followed by such a peace and serenity as I had never known."

joe1776

Worldly self-denial is rooted in individuality and worldliness, comes from fear of personal inadequacy/inferiority, seems burdensome and sacrificial, leaves a sense of being invisible and irrelevant to the world, leads to envy, bitterness and self-loathing, is a loss of self that feels like a curse and is an inhibition.

Spiritual selflessness is rooted in a sense of oneness with the whole, comes from humility towards and faith in others, feels inspiring and contributive, increases compassion for and attentiveness towards others, is freedom from self-interest and self-obsession, which feels like a wonderful secret and is a blessing.

A previous thread by @SigurdReginson got me thinking that though these differences are not always obvious to an onlooker, they may be rather fundamental and perhaps a failure to distinguish them explain why I at times encounter those who claim that I encourage others to belittle themselves...?

That has never been my intention.

Humbly
Hermit
Are you aware of the selfishness paradox? That's the idea that we serve ourselves best when we act with the welfare of others in mind. The selfishness paradox is created by our brains which reward us with pleasure when we treat others with kindness. It feels good. And, our brains punish us with pain, like guilt or remorse, when we selfishly mistreat others.

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
Are you aware of the selfishness paradox? That's the idea that we serve ourselves best when we act with the welfare of others in mind. The selfishness paradox is created by our brains which reward us with pleasure when we treat others with kindness. It feels good. And, our brains punish us with pain, like guilt or remorse, when we mistreat others.

Dear joe1776
Thank you for commenting.

Subconsciously, that sort of emotion plays its part too, I’m sure. But what I speak of here, I think is a little different still.

Spiritual selflessness often results in changes in perspective that alter a situation. Yet, the emotion attached to this does not really come from an idea that oneself made so and so occur (the I is not the centre of one’s attention; others are) but rather, from the realisation that so and so occurred at all.

Humbly
Hermit