• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Works of Alvars

Pleroma

philalethist
What is the history of Alvars? What is their glory? Were they able to visually see Narayana directly?

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
WOW, I didn't realize these religions were just as patriarchal as the religions of Abraham.

Wow, I didn't realize that painting with wide brushstrokes about a Dharma that has Shaktism as one of its cornerstones could levy such a comment. First time for everything, eh?

Pleroma

philalethist
So you are saying that is not the case in that religion?

That is exactly the case in our religion if any women is given Sanyasatva they should be immediately considered as prostitutes. Sanyasatva was not given to women. If a woman has to receive moksha she should be reborn as a male.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
WOW, I didn't realize these religions were just as patriarchal as the religions of Abraham.
Well, at least Pleroma's Hinduism is like that. Normally, in Hinduism any virtuous man or woman is eligible for Moksha, irrespective even of the religion they follow. I do not know if Pleroma considers that Mother Kaushalya, Mother Sumitra, Mother Kaikeyi, Mother Devaki, and Mother Yashoda attained Moksha or not?
That is exactly the case in our religion if any women is given Sanyasatva they should be immediately considered as prostitutes. Sanyasatva was not given to women. If a woman has to receive moksha she should be reborn as a male.
Could you enlighten me as to where this is mentioned?

Last edited:

Pleroma

philalethist
Well, at least Pleroma's Hinduism is like that. Normally, in Hinduism any virtuous man or woman is eligible for Moksha, irrespective even of the religion they follow. I do not know if Pleroma considers that Mother Kaushalya, Mother Sumitra, Mother Kaikeyi, Mother Devaki, and Mother Yashoda attained Moksha or not?Could you enlighten me as to where this is mentioned?

4. Now these (persons, though possessing dispassion, are not entitled to renunciation – a eunuch, a fallen man, a maimed person, women, a deaf person, a child, a dumb person, a
heretic, an informer, a student (who has not completed his study), a Vaikhanasa anchorite (belonging to a Vaishnava sect), an ardent Saivite (Haradvija), a salaried teacher, a man without prepuce and one without ritual fire. Even if they renounce the world they are not entitled to instruction in the great scriptural texts (such as 'That Thou Art')

- Sanyasa Upanishad

Period.

Makaranda

These comments are insulting. Gargi and Maitreyi in the Shruti both get Brahma Vidya. Your comments go against the flow of necessity and disparage female swamis everywhere.

Pleroma

philalethist
These comments are insulting. Gargi and Maitreyi in the Shruti both get Brahma Vidya. Your comments go against the flow of necessity and disparage female swamis everywhere.

Yajnavalkya did not gave Sanyas for Maitreyi. He suggested her an alternative route to moksha. There is no Sanyas for women in Hinduism.

Makaranda

Yajnavalkya did not gave Sanyas for Maitreyi. He suggested her an alternative route to moksha. There is no Sanyas for women in Hinduism.

Regardless of whether or not Maitreyi got Sannyasa, she did get moksha from the knowledge imparted to her by her husband. So your claim that women must be born as a man in a future birth before they can get the knowledge is false. This is corroborated by Krishna when he says that anyone (even criminals)will get moksha if they turn to Him with full devotion.
Further, your views re:Sannyasa are antiquated. The rules of conduct are context based-that is, they change depending upon necessity and circumstances. In this age of Kali Yuga ,both men and women are allowed to renounce, otherwise the proliferation of self-knowledge will struggle even further than it is. In short, there needs to be as many people as possible to spread the knowledge against the great tide of ignorance and materialism, and so the rules are relaxed. My teacher is a female, and she is a monk. You may choose to call her a prostitute, and say she is illegitimate, but I would say it is your loss.

Stormcry

This isn't my view. That's adi shankars view. It's very strange thay advaitians are disagree with it. Anyway this is what Shankar says in his viveka chudamuni: " . For all beings a human birth is difficult to obtain, more so is a male body; rarer than that is Brahmanahood; rarer still is the attachment to the path of Vedic religion; higher than this is erudition in the scriptures; discrimination between the Self and not-Self, Realisation, and continuing in a state of identity with Brahman – these come next in order. (This kind of) Mukti (Liberation) is not to be attained except through the well-earned merits of a hundred crore of births.

Chakra

Premium Member
What is the history of Alvars? What is their glory? Were they able to visually see Narayana directly?

They are Sri Vaishnava saints that were able to see Narayana directly and interact with him. A couple verses from each saint were combined to form the beautiful Divya Prabhandham.

Last edited:

Chakra

Premium Member
I didn't want such an auspicious thread to turn out like this. I'll just put my thoughts on this.

Women are eligible for Moksha. There should be no doubt about this. Lord Vishnu doesn't discriminate between men and women. Gaudiya Vaishnavism is probably the greatest Vaishnava sect that has women as a integral part of it.

That being said, I do not think that women (nor sudras) are eligible for Sanyaas. Sanyaas here doesn't mean mystic or a monk, but like an actual sanyasin, a person who actually did all the vows and rituals for sanyaas.

If a woman simply understands that she is the eternal servant of Shri and Narayana (Shriman Narayana), then Moksha is guaranteed. It does not matter if she hasn't read the Vedas or Gita. Divine knowledge will come to anyone who has surrendered to Shriman Narayana. No need for sanyaas to get divine knowledge.

Did Shiva take sanyaas? He's the greatest ascetic in Hinduism, and he gets divine knowledge every second. In Shaivism he is God himself, in Vaishnavism he is the greatest Vaishnava and teacher of Vaishnavism.

Last edited: