• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women's Roles

A

angellous_evangellous

Just posting the title and author of the article might help us to find it.

kateyes

Okay sorry about that--the new link will take you to it no problems--of course while trying to find the original source--I did a Google--and according to Snopes it is not the real thing. I have to say though from some things my mom mentioned as problems in her 1st marriage--there may have been some male expectations of marriage that went along with this article. :D

A

angellous_evangellous

This article is from 1955. This weekend a radio show here in Ft. Worth read it on the air. The date is in on the top left of the article in your link.

kateyes

angellous_evangellous said:
This article is from 1955. This weekend a radio show here in Ft. Worth read it on the air. The date is in on the top left of the article in your link.

Yes, I knew it was 1955--but I believe it was in the mid 1950's that divorce rate began to rise in the US. According to Snopes it is a spoof--but as I read through it--I can recall some of these suggestions being made in other magazines etc into the 1960's. And as I said--my mother and father divorced in 1964--and some of the things mentioned--were bones of contention for them:

"Never complain when he comes home late, or goes out to dinner or other establishments for entertainment without you......." (my dad was fond bars).

"Prepare the children for his homecoming......Encourage the children to be quiet." My dad was a big believer in children are to be seen (if you must) and not heard.

Even as a spoof I think they did a pretty good job of getting the feel of the times.

Bishka

Veteran Member
Ciscokid said:
I think it's a spoof, I highly doubt that is a valid article.

Actually, it's real.

My grandmother has the honest to goodness magazine it came from. :D She sent this to my mother and underlinme a bit of things so that she could emphasize to my mum that she needs to 'serve' my dad.

We found it a laughing piece at my household.

A

angellous_evangellous

kateyes said:
Yes, I knew it was 1955--but I believe it was in the mid 1950's that divorce rate began to rise in the US.

Even as a spoof I think they did a pretty good job of getting the feel of the times.

But women were treated like this well before the 1950's. The divorce rate began to rise because America was trying to return to a pre-WWII placement of women in society. They tasted liberty a bit when the men were at war, and the country never was the same.

uu_sage

Nuclear Family as it was viewed in Cold War America is a myth. Gender roles and expectations were oppressive for both men and women that women started taking horse tranquilizers (not enough to keep up with demand) and the men were drinking. Yeah, the family structure existed but as fantasy did not turn out as well as one thought. But it is an interesting satire.

Booko

Deviled Hen
kateyes said:
Okay sorry about that--the new link will take you to it no problems--of course while trying to find the original source--I did a Google--and according to Snopes it is not the real thing. I have to say though from some things my mom mentioned as problems in her 1st marriage--there may have been some male expectations of marriage that went along with this article. :D

Hon, that article described my mother's generation to a T.

She even put on a dress just like that before Dad got home.

If we were home, we had to come sit at the table and have our milk and cookies while Dad had his coffee, but NOT SPEAK unless we were asked.

And Dad wasn't even a tyrant. Not by any stretch.

Some of my uncles though...whew. I woulda been long gone.

standing_on_one_foot

Wow...that pretty much sucks. Obviously that sort of thing wasn't the case for everyone (or even most people, I shouldn't think), but just to have that as an acceptable set of standards to feel you should live up to...I'd hate to have a marriage like that. If I really wanted that sort of devoted greeting I'd get a dog...but I'd rather marry a person...

Zephyr

Moved on
The funny thing is that a lot of this actually describes my girlfriend...

I didn't have anything to do with it, and it seemed kinda weird at first.

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
My personal favourite is point 3. My other half comes home and I'm a little more gay than I am now, he's more than going to find me more interesting...he'll be looking for Santa.:p