• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women playing sport, oh my!!

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So what are some of the pro (and semi professional) women’s leagues in your country?
What sports would you like to see for the women’s league?
Which is your favourite?
Least favourite?
Any improvements to them, do you think?
(Broadcast, training, sponsorships etc.)

I think most if not all our national sports teams have professional or at least semi pro leagues for women.
AFL, Basketball, Cricket, NRL etc
The AFLW in particular seems to be very popular in Australia (big shock lol.)

I like seeing that, growing up on a heavy diet of “footy” (both codes) and surrounded by sporty girls.

Comment as you like

Viker

Häxan
Women play sports?! :eek:

When did this start?

tumblr_n6zigb2ld21ry1rm7o1_400.gif

:p

Heyo

Veteran Member
So what are some of the pro (and semi professional) women’s leagues in your country?
Which is your favourite?
Least favourite?

I think most if not all our national sports teams have professional or at least semi pro leagues for women.

I like seeing that, growing up on a heavy diet of “footy” (both codes) and surrounded by sporty girls.

Comment as you like
Volleyball. The women's net is lower than the men's, making it a faster, more interesting game.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Talking both UK and France.

Female boxing is popular in the uk and France, personally I don't see beating the **** out of your opponent a sport.

Women's football (socker) and rugby are pretty big.

Athletics and gymnastics.

Tennis.

And a huge list of more...

exchemist

Veteran Member
Which is your favourite?
Least favourite?

Comment as you like
It's good to see women's participation finally gaining public recognition. Women's cricket, rugby union and football have recently acquired a high profile in the UK.

I vividly remember the start of women's rowing. For a while I was a cox for one of the first St. Anne's college VIIIs at Oxford, and later in the early 1980s I witnessed the first admission of women to the rowing club I belonged to, much against the grumbling of the old guard, who trotted out the usual objections:
- women shouldn't row because they would get all butch and muscle-bound - it was "unwomanly",
- there were no changing, showering and toilet facilities for them (the old chestnut).

In fact of course, when actual rowing women arrived, they were rather gorgeous, (all toned, tanned arms and legs and radiating health), equipping them with facilities took about 2 months to organise....... and they started winning competitions, which the men had a lot more trouble doing! So that killed off the objectors. The women actually became the more active and lively side of the club. And it was so much more fun having women around.

As a lightweight rower myself, I always enjoyed coaching the women, because, like me, they needed good technique to go fast, instead of relying on brute force and ignorance.

Have you ever seen more elegance and grace in a boat than these two? (Have a look from 15:10mark, when they are in the cruise) :

Pairs are the hardest boats to row well and these girls do it superbly - such stability, relaxation under pressure, length and controlled acceleration through the stroke. Helen Glover at bow is 5ft 10in tall but looks over 6 ft.

P.S. Apart from the evolution in society's view of women, there is a simple, largely unsung invention behind the growth in women's sports: the sports bra.

Last edited:

Gargovic Malkav

Women play sports?! :eek:

When did this start?

View attachment 66907

:p

This is why one shouldn't pit women against each other.
The women in the gif you used were supposed to play a football match...

In all seriousness though, and in response to @SomeRandom 's OP, the women's football team of our country (The Netherlands) won the European tournament in 2017 is the first thing that comes to mind.
I remember people put a lot of effort into the awareness of professional women's sports teams back then, so it might've boosted their morale.

It was refreshing to see "us" get that far in football, even though the enthusiasm for the women's sports team still pales in comparison when the "traditional" sports team partakes in a tournament.

Personally I don't care much for football or sports in general but I do enjoy the enthusiastic and jovial spirit of the people whenever our football team partakes in a tournament.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Which is your favorite?
Indian women are doing fine in many disciplines. Wrestling, boxing, weight lifting, shooting, archery, cricket, hockey, badminton, etc.
No favorites sport. I am happy when Indian women excel in whatever sport they play.
Government is taking good care of them, and I do not need to give suggestions to them.
Indian Cricket is the richest sports body in India (Worth USD 2.2 billion). I would like them to support other games as well. They do, but must do more.
Like the Indian Premier League in cricket, they will have a women's league staring early next year.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Volleyball. The women's net is lower than the men's, making it a faster, more interesting game.

Women can't hit as hard, so the rallies go longer. They can dig and block, and do all the defense men can do, but with men, they hammer it so hard that it goes in or rattles off a digger's hands. I enjoy the women's game as a fan more than men's. I coached teenagers in it ... great team game.

I wish the WNBA got way more support. Basketball and football (soccer here) , of sports where both genders play, have the most ridiculous difference in pay. Gotta love tennis for that equality.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Women can't hit as hard, so the rallies go longer. They can dig and block, and do all the defense men can do, but with men, they hammer it so hard that it goes in or rattles off a digger's hands. I enjoy the women's game as a fan more than men's. I coached teenagers in it ... great team game.

I wish the WNBA got way more support. Basketball and football (soccer here) , of sports where both genders play, have the most ridiculous difference in pay. Gotta love tennis for that equality.
I lived in Bremen in the '80s and '90s. Bremen hosts an annual nations tournament around New Years. I got to see the best teams of the time live.
Unfortunately Volleyball had become a spectators sport for me as I ruined my ankles.