• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women in the early church

wvpeach

There is much evidence to show that mankind has changed the bible and Christ himself warned they would.

Historical accounts of women deciding to leave their husbands and family unattended to preach the gospel are plentiful. Men complained and this was seen as a detriment to the church. So they wrote women out of the bible as much as possible.

Jeremy Mason

Find a passage, any passage, that claims that the Scriptures are without error.

2 timothy 3:16 (NIV)

16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

If all Scripture is God-breathed and God make no errors then all Scripture is without error. Now, I'm not saying that translation errors aren't possible, but to me, 99.9% of the Bible backs itself up with other Scripture.

Find one passage, any passage, that equates the Scriptures to being the Word of God.

2 Peter 1:19-20 (NIV) and the above Scripture.

19And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 20Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet's own interpretation. 21For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.

Man did not have anything to do with the conceiving of the Word of God, they were just stenographers.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
2 timothy 3:16 (NIV)

16All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

If all Scripture is God-breathed and God make no errors then all Scripture is without error. Now, I'm not saying that translation errors aren't possible, but to me, 99.9% of the Bible backs itself up with other Scripture.
Nice try, but I don't see "infallible", "perfect" or "without error" in that scripture. God Breathed means "inspired" and nothing more.
Man did not have anything to do with the conceiving of the Word of God, they were just stenographers.
So, just what (who actually) IS the word of God? You might reference the first chapter of John for the answer. While various prophets claimed to speak the Word of the Lord from time to time, the scriptures never claim to be such.

But, by all means: keep reading. I was like you four or five years ago when I first considered these questions. We have been RAISED to believe this and we have accepted the lie without "Searching the Scriptures" to see if it is true.

Jeremy Mason

So, just what (who actually) IS the word of God? You might reference the first chapter of John for the answer.
I've always have maintain that Jesus is the Word of God, but as Peter states, it's not influenced by man interpretation.

We have been RAISED to believe this and we have accepted the lie without "Searching the Scriptures" to see if it is true.
What Scriptures do you see that are contrary to Jesus' message? SunOfNun has a good point:
Originally Posted by SonOfNun
If the NT is filled with errors than everything can be called into question and our religion falls apart.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
There is one point in the book of Acts when Stephen is filled with the holy ghost (AKA G-d) and he is reciting history. Part of that history is about Jacob and who left with him and where they buried him and Stephen/holy ghost got it wrong. Does it change the message of jesus though? No. Heck there are some minor mistakes in the Jewish scriptures. But it doesn't change the message.

Now Paul, Paul was way off IMHO. They could do well with throwing out all the Pauline writings and just sticking with what Jesus taught.

Jeremy Mason

There is one point in the book of Acts when Stephen is filled with the holy ghost (AKA G-d) and he is reciting history. Part of that history is about Jacob and who left with him and where they buried him and Stephen/holy ghost got it wrong. Does it change the message of jesus though? No. Heck there are some minor mistakes in the Jewish scriptures. But it doesn't change the message.

Now Paul, Paul was way off IMHO. They could do well with throwing out all the Pauline writings and just sticking with what Jesus taught.

For starters, do you disagree with Paul when he defends the rights of Gentiles?

SonOfNun

What is a word? is it not a physical symbol of an idea? Was Jesus not the physical symbol as it were of something greater? Jesus was of course God, but he always pointed to the father.

I never meant to deify the Bible. The Bible in and of itself is nothing; It's just a normal piece of paper. A word serves as an anchor for the mind, calling back into recognition what was and is. It is solid and unchanging and most importantly unmoved by human emotion. That is why it is such a great tool when it comes to making law and the like. Recently, however, either by the course of nature, or through evil intentions, man has found a way to get around this solid defense against their own desires and has started to change and pervert the meaning of the words. This has been happening with the US Constitution for example. The US is eventually going to fall to pieces because people are making the constitution what they want it to be. I believe this is what God was talking about when he said (indirectly through a man =P) that in the last days all the defenses against sin would be loosed.

The point I was trying to make was this. If the Bible is full of errors then it is left to the human mind to say which part is an error. To me, if you say that mans evil thoughts are mixed in with the Bible, you might as well be a Muslim. Because the men interpreting it had a strictly Jewish and Christian mindset.

The OT is just as important as the NT. the REAL truth lies outside the Bible like a giant blob of jelly. And when we read a verse or two we start to grasp little bits of that great blob. The Old Testament helps us see what it is we are saved from and what our human tendencies are. Without it there is more room for human error and thought. We have already been given everything we need to know here on earth at this point. If you create something new (such as LSD) you are teaching a false doctrine. The truth is out there... we just have to start listening.

Scuba I know I haven't completely answered your questions as of yet... I will start a new thread soon.

NoahideHiker

Religious Headbanger
For starters, do you disagree with Paul when he defends the rights of Gentiles?

In what context? Verse? You may have misunderstood me also. I was not saying every single thing Paul wrote was wrong and at the same time simply because one thing may be right doesn't make it all right as well.