• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Women in female social groups

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Trans feminine personality here. Hypothetical question....

Is it hard for non-straight women to fellowship in women's social groups given them being attracted to women could create different thoughts from the group about them, or if the female group doesn't have rules restricting romance and them and another woman just naturally and mutually bond and decide to date? Or do the social dynamics of women's groups often take this into account and so it's not a problem?

Or on the reverse, if none of this is so... do you find that non-straight feminine men often tend to get accepted into the women's groups more often than you might if you were a non-straight woman?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't see any intrinsic difference between genetic female lesbian attraction to other women and trans female attraction to women.

But of course, some women will see a difference.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm straight (though trend demi), but I'm someone who has a lot of male friends. There's certainly societal pressure to view platonic relationships with your preference as an impossibility but that doesn't really track in my experience. Granted the demi thing helps but even my non demi straight male friends understand I'm not in the market and don't pursue it even if they had the inclination to. It's just being respectful imo.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
Straight women and lesbians tend to have their own social circles that don't really intersect. A straight women is much more likely to socialize with gay men over lesbians.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I suspect whether or not the non-straight woman 'fits in' with the women's social group is largely going to depend on how 'womanly' she is, and will not be based on what her sexual preference is.

Just based on observation, I've seen groups of girls/women that blend well together, and sexual orientation is not an issue. How they relate to the world, facial expression and body language seem to be more important. I've seen feminine women on all ends of the sexual spectrum fit in well, but I've seen less than girly individuals often get somewhat pushed to the outside.

I've never been able to participate in these groups. Despite being straight, and appearing as a woman, there is something in me not womanly enough, and I am rejected. Sometimes the objection is outright, other times it is unintentional, but no bonds are ever formed. My body language, facial expression, interests, and way of relating to the world don't match what seems to be sought out for in these groups. So, I think its more than just gender and sexual preference in these circumstances.

(I now have a phobia of anything restricted to one gender or the other, due to such negative experiences.)

Meow Mix

Chatte Féministe
Trans feminine personality here. Hypothetical question....

Is it hard for non-straight women to fellowship in women's social groups given them being attracted to women could create different thoughts from the group about them, or if the female group doesn't have rules restricting romance and them and another woman just naturally and mutually bond and decide to date? Or do the social dynamics of women's groups often take this into account and so it's not a problem?

Or on the reverse, if none of this is so... do you find that non-straight feminine men often tend to get accepted into the women's groups more often than you might if you were a non-straight woman?

Gay cis-woman here.

I have never had any problems with this. Nobody has really cared. Then again, I pick my friends and social encounters carefully. The worst that occasionally happens is a straight woman will think it's fun to tease/feign attraction (as on obvious joke, not some kind of deception), but it's not offensive or anything, it's just a joke that gets old. (e.g. "Oh sweetie, I love your top, I'd love it better on my floor, wink wink nudge nudge.")

As for the reverse, I also have plenty of trans friends of all kinds and they are accepted without any trouble either. Again though, I curate my friends and social groups pretty well. Toxicity gets kicked to the curb very quickly.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I was speaking in general. Straight women and lesbians aren't known for socializing with each other, much like gay men and lesbians don't really hang out together.

Hm. It must be different here... I found gay men and lesbians hung out pretty frequently. Probably more so than straight women and lesbians, but that wasn't unheard of, either.

It could be a local thing, though.

Deidre

It depends on how clique-like the group is, tbh. Cliques have a tough time accepting those that aren’t hive minded like them and it could be more of that basic human behavior than anything. I haven’t noticed it beyond that but I may tune in closer now, should the parameters change.