• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Extraterrestrial Life Disprove God & Religion?

Neo-Logic

Reality Checker
Can the concept of God and the belief thereof ever be disproved by science? God supposedly made men in his image and placed him on Earth(also supposedly his creation). Therefore, if we one day discover intelligent lifeform (like ourselves or with the typical alien look - big head small body), will that disprove the concept and belief in God?

If life exists elsewhere and not in men's image -- thus in God's image -- then how do we explain such thing since it contradicts what the Bible stipulates? Do other/multiple Gods exist? Will there be new interpretations of the Bible to conviniently accomidate these new givens? Will people just stop believing alltogether since not many aren't fervent believers and thus while they worship a God, they might or might not be fully convinced of His existance.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the subject. :)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
aunggu2002 said:
Can the concept of God and the belief thereof ever be disproved by science? God supposedly made men in his image and placed him on Earth(also supposedly his creation). Therefore, if we one day discover intelligent lifeform (like ourselves or with the typical alien look - big head small body), will that disprove the concept and belief in God?

If life exists elsewhere and not in men's image -- thus in God's image -- then how do we explain such thing since it contradicts what the Bible stipulates? Do other/multiple Gods exist? Will there be new interpretations of the Bible to conviniently accomidate these new givens? Will people just stop believing alltogether since not many aren't fervent believers and thus while they worship a God, they might or might not be fully convinced of His existance.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on the subject. :)
Sorry aunggu;

As far as I am concerned, and I know that some people on this forum will agree with me, 'in his own image' is not supposed to be taken literally - God, to me, is everything - therefore if you persdonally really have to see him in corporeal form because you feel you must do so, there is no reason whatsoever why he shouldn't appear as a 'little green man' to the 'little green men'.:)

person

The bilbe says that we are made in God's image, yes. But it also says the world is flat. There are still people who believe in the Christian God even though the Catholic church has come out and said, "yes, ok, the world is round." If there was extraterrestrial life found, the church would probably again come out a couple of hundred years after it was excepted fact and say, "hey, we were wrong again." But people would still believe in the Christian God. It's happened before, so it'd probably happen again.

Tawn

Yea, besides which, you should be more worried about is the inevitable clash between our religions and theirs. If anything, that would be more proof of Gods lack of existance than the in mans image thing. Why would God allow an entire race of intelligent life to develop without access to Christian scripture?
Of course if they know of Christianity it might prove something else ;)