• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild Crafting

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Is there anyone on the forum that is in to wild crafting? Gathering and using wild plants for food and medicine?

What resources do you use? What are your favorite gathered plants and goodies?

This time of year sees and abundance of growth. I'll be soon looking for morels and stringing nettle.

Viker

Häxan
Heck yeah! I love foraging/farming in the forest around my home. I also have an herb and spices garden.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
What are your favorite gathered plants and goodies?
Oxalis; It's lemony delicious.

upload_2022-4-26_19-4-59.png

NArdas

I didn't know what "wild crafting" was so I had to click on it, absolutely! been doing it for years before it had a name
Obviously, Morel hunting was big here just recently in the midwest U.S.A. so yes I take the dogs for a trek and see what we can find, they love the trekking and they are delicious (not the dogs, but they might be;) as many Native American tribes seemed to like them).

Medicine wise I will not tell you anything that I have not tried myself and found to be true for myself. I collect poison ivy when it comes up early before the sap is full (coming soon), eat a bit of leaf, wait a few days eat a little more and eventually you can make a salad of it if you wanted in the high sap months. You slowly build up an immunity until you are completely immune. For years I avoided doing this but I finally got up the nerve to do it a few years ago and I figured worst case scenario I pay a lot for health care insurance so they can pay for it if I need a shot, it works.
Thistle Root: Use gloves in the high season when pulling them up well away from highway spray poisons, clean and dry the root, brew a strong tea (cover cup so oils do not escape) and take three times a day if you have anything that you might think you need antibiotics for. Sure you can get a zpac but why rely on a system that is not within your control?

I think a responsible adult should have at least some small understandings of medicine and the human body for personal health.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
I hunt mushrooms and I will collect a few wild greens, though I haven't in a long time.

I wouldn't recommend trying to build an immunity to urushiol in poison ivy whether someone claims to have achieved it or not. There isn't a lot of evidence supporting that it works and it is a very risky venture to find out that it doesn't.