• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Widdershins vs. Deosil

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Is it really that important?

I know it's said to be bad luck or some juju like that to go "against the sun" with widdershins and in the northern hemisphere, it's counter-clockwise.

But in my opinion, following the sun is going to the past. Spatially, we were already there a few hours ago. So why would we go back unless it served a specific purpose?

On top of that, when looking from the northern hemisphere down toward the equator, Earth is spinning counter-clockwise, bringing us toward the future.

I know different Pagans will see it differently, but I guess I'm just trying to get a handle on why I personally prefer counter-clockwise versus clockwise.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
Personally, I believe it is a mental thing. Much of magick is a psychological "trigger" that makes us do whatever it is that we cast the spell for.

Moving clockwise or counterclockwise is all symbolism. Magick uses symbolism to help program and "talk" to our subconscious. How your brain translates that symbolism is what is important.

Witch9

Is it really that important?

the answer to that depends upon what you are doing, what you are trying to do, what your own magical context is, and most especially how important the symbolism is to your work, whether you are truly manipulating energy (i.e. reality) or just performing ceremonial ritual

many shamans will tell it's all symbolic; some will tell you it's real; others will say it's all in your mind and you don't need tools or rules

astrologers will tell you there are days that are good for planting, days that are good for harvest, and days when you should do neither; many farmers who know nothing about astrology will tell you the same things

my initiations and my experiences have taught me that direction is important, sometimes, depending upon . . .

ultimately the best guage is: does your magic work?

I know that the kind of work I am doing frequently governs when I do it; there are some things I will only do when the Moon is waning, when the energy is diminishing, while there are other things that will work best when the moon is waxing; if I am working in sacred space, i.e. a circle, the energy is important, clockwise to cast, to 'open the door', and counter-clockwise to banish, to 'close the door'

but if such niceties are not important, if you think you are the source of the energy rather than working with it, than the direction does not matter; in fact, you're probably (or think you are) so powerful why would you need to even cast a circle in the first place? if it's all mental, you don't need magic ~ just do it! who needs to call on a Goddess?

:pent:

Last edited: