• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wiccan Questions

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
Hello all,
If there is anyone currently trying to become a priest/ess and has a Wiccan student frightener (a questionnaire to see if you would make good priesthood) , and wants a sounding board for your answers, having gotten though it myself I would be more then willing to help here.
Please post the question and what your having difficulty with and I'll see if I can help.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
Hello all,
If there is anyone currently trying to become a priest/ess and has a Wiccan student frightener (a questionnaire to see if you would make good priesthood) , and wants a sounding board for your answers, having gotten though it myself I would be more then willing to help here.
Please post the question and what your having difficulty with and I'll see if I can help.

Why dont you tell me the basics? :)

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
Basics of Wicca, Basics of becoming priesthood, or basic questions that teachers typically ask their students?

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
Gardnerian Wicca, or Gardnerian Witchcraft, is a mystery tradition or denomination in the neopagan religion of Wicca, whose members can trace initiatory descent from Gerald Gardner. The tradition is itself named after Gardner (1884–1964), a British civil servant and scholar of magic. The term "Gardnerian" was probably coined by the founder of Cochranian Witchcraft, Robert Cochrane in the 1950s or 60s, who himself ridiculed the tradition.

Gardner claimed to have learned the beliefs and practises that would later become known as Gardnerian Wicca from the New Forest Coven, who he claimed initiated him into their ranks in 1939. For this reason, Gardnerian Wicca is usually considered to be the earliest tradition of Wicca still extant, from which most subsequent Wiccan traditions are derived.

From the New Forest coven, Gardner formed his own Bricket Wood coven, and in turn initiated a series of women who acted as High Priestesses, founding further covens and 'downlines' of initiation. In the UK and most Commonwealth countries someone claiming to be Wiccan is usually understood to be claiming initiatory descent from Gardner, either through Gardnerian Wicca, or through a derived branch such as Alexandrian Wicca or Algard Wicca. In North America, where the term "Wicca" has come to include many unlineaged groups and individuals, the lineaged traditions are termed "British Traditional Wicca".

The religion tends to be non-dogmatic, allowing each initiate to find for him/herself what the ritual experience means by using the basic 'language' of a shared ritual tradition, to discover the nature of the Mysteries. The tradition is often characterised as an orthopraxy (correct practice) rather than an orthodoxy (correct thinking), with adherents placing greater emphasis on a shared body of practices as opposed to faith.

Becoming Priesthood:
Traditionally in the Wycroft line (Named for the priestess) one will be invited to ritual by a friend, and after going to formal ritual for a year can then ask a member of priesthood (2nd degree or higher) to train under them. Once accepted the individual will go though usually about 1- 2 years of classes and practical work before being offered their first degree..

As for questions that are typically asked...well heres some examples of questions that show up now and again
1. Name

2. Phone:
3. Where did you find out about us?
4. Are you at least 18 years of age?
5. Where do you live?

6. How long have you been practicing the Craft?
7. What do you think worshiping in the old religion is all about?
8. When is the last time you were in a Circle?
9. What Craft related books have you read?
10. When did you first find a goddess? When did you last worship her?
11. When did you first find a god? When did you last worship him?
12. How do you feel about worship of and service to the old gods?
13. Which gods and goddesses have you studied and/or worked with?
14. Are you an initiate of any pagan, magical, esoteric or mystery school or group? If so please give names of groups and your level of experience in each group.
15. Do you belong to any other groups, societies or associations?
16. If you are in a committed relationship, how does your significant other feel about your interest in the Craft?
17. How do the other people in your household (parents, children, roommates) feel about your interest in the Craft?
18. How do you feel about alcohol?
19. How do you feel about drugs?
20. How do you feel about gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered persons?
21. Have you ever been convicted of a felony?
22. Have you ever been under psychiatric care?
23. What is your most memorable Craft, magical or Circle experience?
24. What is your most significant or moving psychic experience?
25. Do you have valid driver's license and/or reliable transportation?
26. Are you employed and/or a student?
27. How is your health?
28. Have you completed one full year of circles If so please give us your favorite memories of the year.

29. What do you think traditional Wicca is all about?
30. Have you ever worked with a traditional Coven? If so, which tradition?
31. Have you ever worked with a non-traditional coven or other Wiccan or pagan group?
32. Please provide a complete outline of your religious training and experience to date.

32. Why are you interested in becoming a member of this tradition?
33. What do you believe you can offer the tradition?

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
Gardnerian, huh? I have not met very many, and am only familiar with their beliefs and practices via books. The Farrar's were Gardnerian, if I am not mistaken (and I can very well be), and I have their Witch's Bible.

Does your coven practice the custom of initiating a male and female at the same time? I ask this because I wish to ask you about homosexuality and their energies in circle.

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
The Farrar's were not Gardnerian their alexandrian, and very nice people, though the differences between Gardnerian and Alexandrian are mostly academic.

The coven I belong to initiated myself and my wife at the same time, and although we prefer to initiate working couples at the same time, we are planning to initiate a separate male and a separate female its never been a problem. As for homosexuality...well half the circle is bi and my wife before meeting me was a lesbian so it's not a big deal for us.

See the thing is even if your gay you still had to be born so you are still connected to the cycle of life and from that perspective can respect the need for male and female energies.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
I joined a Gardnerian private discussion forum a while back ago and asked the question about homosexuals and whether or not they were accepted in that community. Their response completely put me off of Gardnerian Wicca because they wont allow any homosexuals into their circles, talking about how its a perversion and stuff like that.

But Im glad to see that you arent like those people :) Can you tell me a little bit about your tradition's faith or non Oathbound beliefs?

Vintermunder

Gardnerian, Wycroft line
Well the current working of the wycroft line is fairly open. We encourage everyone to bring their unique style and beliefs to the group. In that way we are kind of a coven of solitaries. For example in my personal practice I worship Tyr and Skaldi, I'm on a warrior path and these are the gods that appeal. To that end when its my turn to perform ritual it tends to have a norse flair and deal with heady issues.
Others in the group have Buddhist leanings and so when they perform rituals it tends to deal with internal issues.
As for our groups beliefs we feel that the craft doesn't exist in a bubble. Male, female, dark, light, all things have their place and all things and paths are valid (well so long as your path doesn't involve forcing others to change their path/kill people, we frown on that)