• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why?

zuluniner

why cant we, like every other animal species on the planet, stay true to the natural state of non belief we are born with?

what prompts us to invent unseen superior beings with convenient human attributes, demanding our eternal obedience and blind adoration, or else dishing out eternal torture/punishment/suffering?

yourgraceisenough

why cant we, like every other animal species on the planet, stay true to the natural state of non belief we are born with?

what prompts us to invent unseen superior beings with convenient human attributes, demanding our eternal obedience and blind adoration, or else dishing out eternal torture/punishment/suffering?

I guess it's because we have a basic need for answers or we have higher brain functions...:)

I just cant imagine rabbits contemplating which God made their carrots...I could be wrong though...:)

Skwim

Veteran Member
zuluniner said:
As has been alluded to, it has to do with our superior reasoning abilities and the fact that with them we recognize our impending mortality. Add to this those who pounced at the opportunity to explain away the fear of such mortality by establishing specific dos and don'ts and you have a strange relationship wherein one faction is willing to believe just about anything to ease suffering, and earn peace and reassurance, and the other faction who benefits by providing it. It's an agreed upon give-and-take relationship: the believer receives peace of mind and the giver is compensated with power and $$.

yourgraceisenough

As has been alluded to, it has to do with our superior reasoning abilities and the fact that with them we recognize our impending mortality. Add to this those who pounced at the opportunity to explain away the fear of such mortality by establishing specific dos and don'ts and you have a strange relationship wherein one faction is willing to believe just about anything to ease suffering, and earn peace and reassurance, and the other faction who benefits by providing it. It's an agreed upon give-and-take relationship: the believer receives peace of mind and the giver is compensated with power and $$.

yeah I don't like those dodgey tv evangelists....:)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

I don't know. Maybe I just felt like it. :beach: If I stayed the way I did when I was first born, I would still be lying in a crib waving my arms around and crying to get fed. ;)

Tonymai

Lonesome Religionist

Evolution has made us able to think reflectively. This enables us to be conscious of our own consciousness. This also means we are able to be conscious of other consciousnesses. This means we have the potential to have the leap of faith that there is an original consciousness who started all this evolutionary process of from minimum intelligence to God knowing intelligence.

blackout

Violet.

Unlike all other animals,
human beings are meaning makers.

We are crafters of Word and World.