• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would God create Evolution?

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
So you mean someoen can logically explain why a perfect omnipotent god would take 13 billion years before putting humans on earth?

I'll be happy to hear it.
The logical explanation is that it did take 13 billion years to put humans on Earth. That's the fact. That's what we know.

So, logically, if there is a God who did it on purpose, then God had a purpose and the only one who could answer that question would be God himself.

In other words, logically, it's you who can't reach God to make him explain to you "why" that causes you not to know.

Skwim

Veteran Member
God is not the author of evolution. Evolution is the work of human soul that is born of the union of the divine spark and the primordial matter that also comes from God.
Evolution came about through human endeavor? Boy, that's a new one.

The purpose of evolution is to create a body,mind and self consciousness that can become the vehicles of the divine spark.
But how can evolution create that (humans) by which it was created (humans)? You're making no sense here.

Skwim

Veteran Member
So you mean someoen can logically explain why a perfect omnipotent god would take 13 billion years before putting humans on earth?

I'll be happy to hear it.
jwa0014.jpg

BOINK! BOINK! reread his statement.

Last edited:

Maldini

That's exactly what I'm saying. That's the perfect defense. If there's a god, then anything is OK because hey, it's God.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Um...
Because god does not have to do things the way you think they should be done?

Isn't that the perfect defense for god theory.

There's a god, and no you can't talk about him because he is totally different.

How did I apply it to god differently than it applies to every mortal human person alive, will ever live, or ever lived?

No idea where you pulled this from, but it in no way addresses the point of mine you have completely ignored.

That's exactly what I'm saying. That's the perfect defense. If there's a god, then anything is OK because hey, it's God.

Except that is not what I am saying.

Why the strawman?
Why are you completely ignoring what I actually said?

Castaigne

The Inquisitor
And If you do, saying stuff like God's the force behind Evolution, or God has created evolution is meaningless because when you can create stuff from scratch, why create Evolution? Why not just make the products?

1) Because He felt like it? Whim is a good enough answer for me on that.
2) There could always be a purpose for it that we are unaware.

I've honestly never understood why personal whim is not acceptable for what God does. It's good enough for free will for humans.

Isn't that the perfect defense for god theory. There's a god, and no you can't talk about him because he is totally different.

No, that's not what's being said.
The OP is basically saying that God has to have a reason for how He does things.
If I'm omniscient and omnipotent, I don't need a reason for jack crap. And unless I specifically tell you, how are you going to know what my reasons are? You can only guess.
Since I do not have to have a reason for the things I do, I see no logical reasoning why the same has to apply to God.

So you mean someoen can logically explain why a perfect omnipotent god would take 13 billion years before putting humans on earth? I'll be happy to hear it.

Why does there have to be a logical reason?
If I were a perfect omnipotent god, my reason would be "I felt like it." or "It amused me." or simply "That's how I wanted it to be." A sentient being, godlike or not, does not HAVE to be logical.

Skwim

Veteran Member
1) Because He felt like it? Whim is a good enough answer for me on that.
2) There could always be a purpose for it that we are unaware.

I've honestly never understood why personal whim is not acceptable for what God does. It's good enough for free will for humans.
Because whim implies without reason, and I think every believer prefers that their god be a reason-able being. If not, if he truly operates on whim, then he can't counted on doing the right thing. Of course, Christians also praise and adore a very cruel and vindictive god, so go figure.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Because whim implies without reason, and I think every believer prefers that their god be a reason-able being. If not, if he truly operates on whim, then he can't counted on doing the right thing. Of course, Christians also praise and adore a very cruel and vindictive god, so go figure.

Whim doesn't imply lack in knowledge, one choice will be chosen in a whim over other equal choices so doing things doesn't always need purpose other than this rather than that. Anyway I am not sure why people would insist on there being reason anyway, reason for whom? There would only ever be reason for god primarily.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Whim doesn't imply lack in knowledge, one choice will be chosen in a whim over other equal choices so doing things doesn't always need purpose other than this rather than that. Anyway I am not sure why people would insist on there being reason anyway, reason for whom? There would only ever be reason for god primarily.

And what is reason on the level of a god?

Our mind, consciousness, reasoning, etc are far more complex and intricate than an ant's. And ant would consider us gods, and it would say, "The human gods must be talking to each other using pheromones and antennas, just like us. That's how they talk and reason. I wonder how big their human queen is. She must be gigantic and produce a lot of offspring! And the plants their aphids must be one must be enormous." Yeah. I don't think we're exactly the way an ant would reason about us. Neither would a god to us be anything close to how we think and are.

idav

Being
Premium Member
And what is reason on the level of a god?

Our mind, consciousness, reasoning, etc are far more complex and intricate than an ant's. And ant would consider us gods, and it would say, "The human gods must be talking to each other using pheromones and antennas, just like us. That's how they talk and reason. I wonder how big their human queen is. She must be gigantic and produce a lot of offspring! And the plants their aphids must be one must be enormous." Yeah. I don't think we're exactly the way an ant would reason about us. Neither would a god to us be anything close to how we think and are.

Reason requires an enormous amount of intelligence. Even with as complex as we are we can only reason so many moves ahead. God could do such a thing if he is some sort of super computer or it would be next to impossible to predict everything. So on that note, like your ant comparison, we likely couldn't fathom what such a super being would be up to and even if we could understand we may not agree.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Reason requires an enormous amount of intelligence. Even with as complex as we are we can only reason so many moves ahead. God could do such a thing if he is some sort of super computer or it would be next to impossible to predict everything. So on that note, like your ant comparison, we likely couldn't fathom what such a super being would be up to and even if we could understand we may not agree.
Yup.

Another analogy would be to look at a match between two skilled chess players or Go or something like that. The master might make a move that just doesn't make sense to us because we can't see all the moves ahead he's/she's thinking. If a person looks at the game and doesn't know anything about chess, it would look random. Move here, move there, someone wins for whatever reason. Chance and intent would look the same for the uninformed. We are uninformed about God's intentions. So... it should look more like chance, even if it was intentional. So a design argument doesn't cut it. We have to know what a "God-design" would have to look like first. A good way would be to look and compare to all the other universes and especially at those that God designed before. Then we can compare and know. But who has that ability?

niceguy

Maybe God have a fast forward button? Besides 13.2 billion years are not that much time in the perspective of eternity. No need to rush things, a bit silly but amusing question this.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Maybe God have a fast forward button? Besides 13.2 billion years are not that much time in the perspective of eternity. No need to rush things, a bit silly but amusing question this.

Just saw a movie wherein the main character is noting this item.

Life on this planet has been thriving a vey long time.
Man, has been around only a small fraction of that.

I believe the fast forward button was pushed in that garden event of Genesis.

jidex

Why not just plant everything immediately? Why take 13 .82 billion years before putting Humans on Earth?

You either accept Evolution or not. And If you do, saying stuff like God's the force behind Evolution, or God has created evolution is meaningless because when you can create stuff from scratch, why create Evolution? Why not just make the products? To mess with smart people who study science?

Evolution is scientifically unproveable

idav

Being
Premium Member
Yup.

Another analogy would be to look at a match between two skilled chess players or Go or something like that. The master might make a move that just doesn't make sense to us because we can't see all the moves ahead he's/she's thinking. If a person looks at the game and doesn't know anything about chess, it would look random. Move here, move there, someone wins for whatever reason. Chance and intent would look the same for the uninformed. We are uninformed about God's intentions. So... it should look more like chance, even if it was intentional. So a design argument doesn't cut it. We have to know what a "God-design" would have to look like first. A good way would be to look and compare to all the other universes and especially at those that God designed before. Then we can compare and know. But who has that ability?

Oh you know he was doing the design but didnt get to finish cause I sent him on vacation. My bad, its gonna be a long seventh day.:angel2:

Yerda

Veteran Member
I'd just like to put on record that I'm glad there are theists who can see that evolution explains life's diversity.