• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would god be love?

Liu

Gods love, and care for hell, and for the suffering of the faithful.
Could you define the terms love and care then?
I can't really see how compassion could be love, by my understanding of these terms.
Care is clearer to me, but it is kinda a synonym to compassion, so defining compassion by equating it with care doesn't really say much.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Why do you think it's his essence?
Those verses seem to be about love for God, not about God being love.
The Bible says, God is love. That is, love is his essence - his "nature" his entire being, so he is the personification of love. Everything about God is love driven - even his decision to destroy, because he cannot dwell in unrighteousness.

The verses I mentioned, were in response to your question on meditation, not love.

Liu

The Bible says, God is love. That is, love is his essence - his "nature" his entire being, so he is the personification of love. Everything about God is love driven - even his decision to destroy, because he cannot dwell in unrighteousness.

Depending on what one means by love, I think I can relate to that notion.
But is love always righteous?
The verses I mentioned, were in response to your question on meditation, not love.
Which question on meditation? I think you misread something.

syo

Ah, so because it is good for one's karma to love, this shows that love must be part of the underlying mechanism of reality, i.e. of the divine?
Yup. we didn't invent love on our own. it's godsent.