• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why, why oh why do people do this!?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Where and how do people come up with ideas like this one I found on Quora (quoted below)? And why? I don't know Hebrew but I am Hindu and think I know enough about the names of our Gods to know this person is way off.

Btw, Adhama and Havyavati are from the Bhavishya Purana, which I'm pretty certain almost no one believes is a genuine scripture.

... a distant connection between Brahma and Abraham as there is a distant connection between Hebrew and Sanskrit and between Hinduism and Judaism.

Abraham/Sarah and Brahma/Saraswati are not the only overlapping figures between Hindu and Hebrew traditions. There is also Adam/Eve and Adhama/ Havyavati, along with Noah and Nyuha or Manu, the devastating flood story.

Hindu God Shiva is God of distractions and death with multiple hands and heads, he is usually sitting . In Judaism shiva is the “7 days sitting” the Jewish mourning ritual after a person dies. For non-Hebrew speakers I give the example of using the word [shiva]: Shiva (2008 film) - Wikipedia

The number “7” is [Sheva] שבע in Hebrew

Sitting is [shiva] שיבה in Hebrew

Vishnu in Hinduism is the deity that holds the universe in balance, acting as the Preserver.

In Hebrew ישן - [yashan] means old, ancient.

יושן [yoshen] means he sleeps. וישנו [veyashnu] means [and we will sleep] . Sleeping keeps all human body systems in balance

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Why? My guess is some folks look for connections of all sorts. If you're in Mozambique and you happen to hear an American accent, and find out that person is from New Joisey, you'll chat it up some. So I think some people are hard wired to look for connection. Whether they exist or not is more or less irrelevant. Makes you feel so smart to have found a connection, like solving a puzzle that isn't there.

But I'm no behavioral psychologist, just the village idiot. As the village idiot, I'm quite able to ignore this sort of dribble.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have not come across the word 'adhama' in Hindu scriptures except that the word means "the lowest type of person".
Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit
'Havya' means what we offer, to the fire in rituals or even what we eat ourselves, food, perhaps of the same root as 'have', 'to have'.
Sanskrit Dictionary for Spoken Sanskrit
So 'Havyavati' would mean one who is receiving the oblationfood.

Apart from Christians and Muslims, such stories are floated by Hare-Krishna people (Bhakti Charu Swami | The Origin Of Western Religions).

Bhavishya Purana is certainly an old scripture, but like Manusmriti, heavily interpolated in some sections (which were sort of open, sort of extensible, add whatever you want). It is one of the 18 major puranas (Mahapurana).

"The Brahmaparvan part of the Bhavishya Purana includes a 169 chapters compendium of Surya (Sun god) related literature, that overlaps with Zoroastrianism-related views. These Sun-related sections are a notable and important part of the Bhavishya Purana, and it may be related to the migration or interaction between people of Persia and central Asia with those in Indian subcontinent.

The "prophecy"-related third part Pratisargaparvan includes sections on Christianity, Islam, Bhakti movement, Sikhism, British rule, and considered by scholars as a 19th-century creation."
Bhavishya Purana - Wikipedia

I need to read Brahmaparvan. Contains things of my interest.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the insights. It’s all well and good to explore connections that are fairly evident but the sort of drivel I encountered is laughable. Unfortunately other people just may buy it.