• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Teenagers Have Mood Swings?

Should scientists create a pill to counter the effects of THP on Teens?

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
From: http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/story/0,,2031771,00.html

They have a reputation for being sulky, uncommunicative and argumentative little brats. But according to scientists, blaming teenagers for their tantrums and mood swings is - in the words of Kevin the teenager - "just SO unfair".

Their petulant behaviour is all down to an unexpected chemical reaction in their developing brains. Scientists have found that the mechanism normally used by the brain to calm itself down in stressful situations seems to work in the opposite way in teenagers, making them even more anxious.

When the brain senses a stressful situation, it reacts by switching on receptors, using a range of chemicals, including a steroid called THP. In an adult or even a younger individual, THP would reduce anxiety. But in experiments on adolescent mice, THP increased anxiety.

The experiments, by Sheryl Smith, a physiologist at the State University of New York, offer the first physiological explanation for adolescent mood swings. Previous work has focused on analysing behavioural changes in teenagers during adolescence. Her results are published today in Nature Neuroscience.
In teenagers, the behavioural response to the increased anxiety due to THP would result in even more acute stress, said Prof Smith. How individuals reacted would depend on their personality - where some people might cry, others would get angry.

"It could be an emotional reaction and it might be fluctuating too because it's an amplified reaction to the stress which may not seem the appropriate reaction to an adult. Yet, for the teenager, they don't have a whole lot of control. It could be frustrating for the teenager and the parent. This is a reaction that seems like an over-reaction to the adult, perhaps. But to the teenager, it is absolutely the only thing they are able to do."

Prof Smith said that the paradoxical effect in teenagers' brains can be explained by the fluctuation in hormones that accompanies this phase of their lives. She successfully tested this idea by artificially altering the levels of certain hormones in the brains of her mice.

The social awkwardness of teenagers has been the subject of several studies in recent years. Scientists have shown that the combination of having a brain that is not yet fully developed and the hormonal stresses of puberty can explain much of the infamous behaviour of adolescents.

Scientists at University College London presented research last year showing that teenagers could not help being sulky because they were still developing social skills and did not have the full mental hardware to see the world from someone else's point of view or predict the consequences of their actions.

What do you make of this study?

Is this more evidence that science can explain just about anything having to do with human psychology?

Do you think it would be a good idea to create a pill that would counter the effects of THP on the brains of teenagers?

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
I think it's an interesting study and see no reason to doubt it. And I've been convinced for a while that most of human behavior can be explained or at least accurately guessed at with psychology. :D

I'm not sure a pill to counter this would be a good idea. Studies would need to be done to see if there's a reason the body might need to respond to this hormone the way it does during teenage years.

BFD_Zayl

pills pills pills, life is all about pills these days, i'm a teen and i dont get stressed out...i have anger problems sure, i mean..ok its more than a problem DONT TOUCH ME!!!! ...*ahem* as i was saying i do just fine. dont forget the fact that teenagers know they will soon have to take the reigns of the world one day, and the way it looks right now, i would NOT want to.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Umm, no, absolutely not. To take a pill to counteract the normal effects of stress on adolescents and teens will do WAY more harm than good. Tell them to take a pill to relieve thier stress and deal with their problems and they'll never find a way to deal with stress on thier own. Then they'll just be part of the legions of people on anti-depressants for all the wrong reasons.

We need to stop coddling kids, and teach them how to live, behave, and deal with difficult problems on their own. Is that really such a terrible idea? Hm, kids learning necessary life skills early on. What a terrible and dreary prospect. :rolleyes:

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
MaddLlama said:
Umm, no, absolutely not. To take a pill to counteract the normal effects of stress on adolescents and teens will do WAY more harm than good. Tell them to take a pill to relieve thier stress and deal with their problems and they'll never find a way to deal with stress on thier own. Then they'll just be part of the legions of people on anti-depressants for all the wrong reasons.
That's not what that article is saying at all.

This hormone, in adults, will relax them. In teenagers it simply makes them more stressed. It's not an issue of the teenagers dealing poorly with it at all; it's their body's response to the hormone! They can't control that!

Mike182

Flaming Queer
NO, WE TEENS NEVER HAVE MOOD SWINGS GOSH DARN IT!!!!!! but we are really grateful to scientists and chemists who produce stuff to help out our poor, hormonal raging bodies :)

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Jaymes said:
That's not what that article is saying at all.

This hormone, in adults, will relax them. In teenagers it simply makes them more stressed. It's not an issue of the teenagers dealing poorly with it at all; it's their body's response to the hormone! They can't control that!

I understand that, but the poll question is whether or not it's a good idea to develop a pill that controls that response.

M

Majikthise

My 10 year old daughter is already starting this behavior. It's going to happen and I'll just have to live with it. All I have to do is look at my neighbor's ridilin dosed 8 year old and any thoughts of drugging my kid abate quickly.:eek:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
No. Thier is no reason to block something that naturally happens, and doesn't cause much problems. One thing the world doesn't need is another pill to feed kids, until they're all on some form of pill.

eudaimonia

Fellowship of Reason
Sunstone said:
Scientists at University College London presented research last year showing that teenagers could not help being sulky because they were still developing social skills and did not have the full mental hardware to see the world from someone else's point of view or predict the consequences of their actions.

I wonder if they could explain why some people never grow out of this. :sarcastic

Do you think it would be a good idea to create a pill that would counter the effects of THP on the brains of teenagers?

Possibly, though I'm not a big fan of attempting to solve psychological problems through pharmacological means. The human body, and especially the brain, is enormously complex. As a result, drugs almost always have plenty of unintended side-effects. I'd consider this a "last resort" for extreme cases.

eudaimonia,

Mark

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
MaddLlama said:
I understand that, but the poll question is whether or not it's a good idea to develop a pill that controls that response.
So why isn't it a good idea, assuming that it's not a biologically necessary response? Stress is very bad for the body. Obviously the ideal would be for someone to learn to adapt to stress without having to use medication, but I don't see why that's a horrible option. We don't shun diabetics who potentially can control their diabetes through diet (type 2, I believe) but have trouble doing it and take insulin. Why should this be looked at any differently? The only difference here is the organ in question.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Jaymes said:
I think it's an interesting study and see no reason to doubt it. And I've been convinced for a while that most of human behavior can be explained or at least accurately guessed at with psychology. :D

I'm not sure a pill to counter this would be a good idea. Studies would need to be done to see if there's a reason the body might need to respond to this hormone the way it does during teenage years.

I agree, but I would go further than that; I believe that the "I know everything that there is to know about anything" - which is a phase I and I noticed my sons went through is an essential part of growing up. Then, the older you become, the more you realize that you know so little.

It's quite amusing.

MaddLlama

Obstructor of justice
Jaymes said:
So why isn't it a good idea, assuming that it's not a biologically necessary response? Stress is very bad for the body. Obviously the ideal would be for someone to learn to adapt to stress without having to use medication, but I don't see why that's a horrible option. We don't shun diabetics who potentially can control their diabetes through diet (type 2, I believe) but have trouble doing it and take insulin. Why should this be looked at any differently? The only difference here is the organ in question.

There is a big difference between controling your reaction to stress, such as having to take a test you didn't study for, or worrying about whether or not your boyfriend will dump you tomorrow, and a diabetic who is trying to control an actual illness that could potentially kill them.
This chemical reaction in teenage brains is simply part of growing up, and part of cognitive development. To take away the opportunity to experience stress and learn how to deal with it on your own is to stunt your ability to grow into a functioning adult. It is the chemical equivalent of putting your child in a bubble to protect them from anything that might go wrong. Overprotecting children is unhealthy at any stage.

And, I don't see anything that's saying that this is an unnecessary biological response. From how I understood the article, it's saying that this is a natural reaction that has always happened in the brain, and we're just discovering it now to serve as an explanation for why teenagers act the way they do. Apparently, the brain thinks it necessary. So, why try to make it do the opposite of what it wants to?

BFD_Zayl

besides, you will still have stress...you just will be unable to do anything with that stress,it will keep building and building and building barely being covered by the pill untill one day you run out or forget and then its *click* time for a few people to feel the bite of a bullet. stress is bad, yes, but teeneagers have this method to relieve it. by acting out.

Ðanisty

MaddLlama said:
There is a big difference between controling your reaction to stress, such as having to take a test you didn't study for, or worrying about whether or not your boyfriend will dump you tomorrow, and a diabetic who is trying to control an actual illness that could potentially kill them.
I'm diabetic and I agree. Diabetes is a disease...being a teenager is not. I think there must be some reason teenagers have this reaction to THP. Since it occurs naturally, I think it's best left alone. I've already seen detrimental affects from teenagers who were on prozac, etc. for depression. Experiencing depression and mood swings is part of being a teenager...it's the body's way of teaching you how to cope with things as an adult. If you take a shortcut on that, you miss out on some important lessons.