• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why should we pray

jewscout

Religious Zionist
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Wow. Asking for actual anecdotal evidence of answered prayers really killed this thread didn't it?

Nobody ever prayed for anything that required supernatural intervention and got what they were asking for?

Hmm. . . .

B.
how do you think one should quantify divine intervention?
couldn't G-d turn coke into pepsi? Help me financially by surprising me w/ a much needed refund check from my car insurance company? Why do we think that divine intervention has to take on the form of a burning bush or splitting the sea?

A

angellous_evangellous

1) The purpose of Christian prayer is to unite the believer with the will and purposes of God. This is helpful because one is given the spiritual and emotional strength to endure whatever comes. Also, we believe that prayers affect outcomes. EDIT: The functional aspect of Christian prayer is faith. One also knows a prayer has been answered by faith.

Richard Foster has some excellent writings on prayer: Celebration of Discipline and Prayer.

2) The projection of stress outwardly towards God relieves anxiety. It is simply good mental practice and is physically healthy to release emotional and psychological pressures. Even if God doesn't exist, prayer as release is healthy.

A

angellous_evangellous

MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Hmm,

thanks for starting this thread Robtex, but I still don't really see where people are getting much out of praying they couldn't get from meditation. Anyone here beleive that they are getting thier prayers answered?

When you pray, aren't you asking for things? Do you ever get any of the things you are asking for?

Or do you just tell God about all the various sins you have committed. If so, do you think you are telling God something He doesn't already know?

I grew up in a family that prayed before every meal, played baseball for a coach who had us praying before every game, and was in church 3 times a week witnessing people ask other paritioners to pray for them. I never really saw anyone gain anything tangible from these prayers, and was just wondering if anyone is personally getting anything out of prayer. Anyone who had a finger or hand amputated pray for it to be regenerated, and it grew back? Or anything along those lines.

B.
Yes.

I pray daily, and all of my prayers have been answered. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, and I am very careful in how I pray, approaching it as a powerful tool.

Answers vary, and sometimes it takes a while. Sometimes I get what I asked for in marvellous ways.

First of all, I pray to better know the Father and be obedient to the Gospel. Also, I regularly pray for things that I need and help in situations.

1) I asked the Lord to provide entrance and full scholarship to a university. I got it precisely at the right time.

2) I asked for a place to live. Someone called me and offered an apartment. When needs changed, I asked again and received precisely what I asked for.

3) I desperately needed cash, and $6k was waiting for me. Someone called me with the money. I didn't do anything but pray.

4) $3k worth of books was stolen out of my truck in Dec 2005. I was so devestated that I couldn't pray. The police officer who came found out that I was a Christian. He prayed with me. Everything was recovered the next day.

5) I prayed for my wife's work. Things got better.

6) Prayers for others are answered all the time.

MdmSzdWhtGuy

jewscout said:
how do you think one should quantify divine intervention?
couldn't G-d turn coke into pepsi? Help me financially by surprising me w/ a much needed refund check from my car insurance company? Why do we think that divine intervention has to take on the form of a burning bush or splitting the sea?
Why does divine intervention have to take on such forms? Well, because without some supernatural component, how do we know such results are not just happenstance?

I hit a straight flush playing cards once. It wasn't because I was praying for it to happen, it was because I had the 7 and 8 of spades in my hand and the 5,6 and 9 of spades hit the board. There is roughly one chance in 65,000 to be dealt a straight flush in 5 cards. When you hit one, it doesn't mean we have divine intervention, it just means we had a fortunate turn of events, same as the refund check, or your teacher getting sick on the day you didn't study for the test.

When a supernatural deity grants a quadraplegic's prayers and he begins walking again after severing his spine, then we got something. When someone who lost a leg in a motorcycle wreck wakes up with his leg intact after praying for it, then we have some divine intervention on par with the burning bush, parting of the sea, etc. . .

I have yet to hear any such stories as those I mention in the previous paragraph.

B.

IMO, there is a big difference in praying for help with some sort of sickness and praying that you win the lotto. As a Heathen, I pray to the Norse gods and goddesses at least 3 times a week. Course, if you count the fact that when I get a glass of water, I pour some out as thanks to Jord, the Spirit of the Earth, then I suppose you could say I pray more than once a day! I do feel that the power of prayer can and does help....as I have seen it happen. When my eldest son fell out of bed last summer and broke his arm, the doctors were so amazed that he heeled fast and did not need surgery, I was NOT that supprised, as I said daily prayers to Thor and Frigga. I have also seen it work with a friend who had lung surgery this fall....again, her doctors were amazed at her speed of recovery....but those of us in our pagan comminty, who held daily prayer vigils for her, were not. The power of prayers is NOTHING to skoff at, IMO.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Me... I pray every morning and every night without fail. On my knees. Then, throughout the day, I often say quick, silent prayers asking for help or in gratitude for some little thing. I do it for one reason only. I believe that God hears my prayers. It's important to me to keep the lines of communication open all the time.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
angellous_evangellous said:
Yes.

I pray daily, and all of my prayers have been answered. I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, and I am very careful in how I pray, approaching it as a powerful tool.

Answers vary, and sometimes it takes a while. Sometimes I get what I asked for in marvellous ways.

First of all, I pray to better know the Father and be obedient to the Gospel. Also, I regularly pray for things that I need and help in situations.

1) I asked the Lord to provide entrance and full scholarship to a university. I got it precisely at the right time.

2) I asked for a place to live. Someone called me and offered an apartment. When needs changed, I asked again and received precisely what I asked for.

3) I desperately needed cash, and $6k was waiting for me. Someone called me with the money. I didn't do anything but pray.

4) $3k worth of books was stolen out of my truck in Dec 2005. I was so devestated that I couldn't pray. The police officer who came found out that I was a Christian. He prayed with me. Everything was recovered the next day.

5) I prayed for my wife's work. Things got better.

6) Prayers for others are answered all the time.
Loved your examples, AE. It sounds like you have a lot of faith. That's probably why God responds to your petitions.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
MdmSzdWhtGuy said:
Why does divine intervention have to take on such forms? Well, because without some supernatural component, how do we know such results are not just happenstance?

I hit a straight flush playing cards once. It wasn't because I was praying for it to happen, it was because I had the 7 and 8 of spades in my hand and the 5,6 and 9 of spades hit the board. There is roughly one chance in 65,000 to be dealt a straight flush in 5 cards. When you hit one, it doesn't mean we have divine intervention, it just means we had a fortunate turn of events, same as the refund check, or your teacher getting sick on the day you didn't study for the test.

When a supernatural deity grants a quadraplegic's prayers and he begins walking again after severing his spine, then we got something. When someone who lost a leg in a motorcycle wreck wakes up with his leg intact after praying for it, then we have some divine intervention on par with the burning bush, parting of the sea, etc. . .

I have yet to hear any such stories as those I mention in the previous paragraph.

B.
well i suppose it depends on your perspective. I believe in a singular G-d without which nothing can exist, therefore anything that happens in my life is His will to either make or allow it to happen for reasons i may not understand.
for example, my gf Rachel needed 450 bucks for her application for her kibbutz (a religious community that lives and works together) and Aliyah papers and she didn't have it. Then for chanukah she got exactly $450 to the penny. you would say it was luck. I see it as the will of G-d.

I pray to God, who goes by many, many names. My prayers are usually along these lines:

"Lord and Lady, All That Is, give me the wisdom, strength, understanding, peace, hope, love and guidance that I seek on my spiritual journey. Let me help others and make good decisions."

I also meditate, which allows me to focus better when I am confronted with hardships or situations beyond my control. I can still my inner self to make the best decision that will bring about the appropriate outcome.

I have also performed rituals and prayer for others that have been answered. A neighbor was faced eviction with her four children. After prayer and ritual, she receieved rent money that afternoon. There are many other examples of such things in my life, but I use this sparingly and only when necessesity warrants it.

There is a difference between a NEED and a WANT.

My two cents,
Tannensisis

A

angellous_evangellous

Katzpur said:
Loved your examples, AE. It sounds like you have a lot of faith. That's probably why God responds to your petitions.
IMHO, God gives freely to all according to God's grace. Part of every prayer should be open eyes to "see" God's movement in our lives.

One thing that I thought would be helpful to share is the practice of "locating" faith in prayer. That is, I don't just say the words when I pray. Prayer is finding God by faith, worshipping God, and sharing our wants and needs; it is relief from all pressure and the rekindling of hope for a better life with God. The end result of prayer is the knowledge that communion with God will carry us through every situation in life and carry us in victory in death.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
robtex said:
"I still haven't received a satisfactory answer to why should anyone pray?"

MdmSzdWhtGuy said the above qoute. It is a great question. Why pray?

I have to think that prayer is two things:

1) Mankinds acknowledgement that he is powerless to stop or change some things in life

2) The condition of the human personality to never give-up even when there is nothing they can do about the situation at hand.

original post:

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25679&page=1&pp=10

So the debate is why pray?
So the debate is why pray?
Rob, do I need to remind you that you are an atheist...........I mean....?:biglaugh:

Why do I pray ? - to get me closer to God.

Over Christmas, with the 'normal' routine being different, I ended up not walking our dog half as often as I would. When I take her out, and walk through the woods, that is when I pray. The woods are my Church - unsullied by man, no concrete, just me, the dog, and nature.

After resuming the walks, I have really noticed a sensation of (for want of better words) of 'connection' 'energy'........obviously, it was more apparent, because I hadn't been for a while...it is an incredibly 'warming and homely' feeling; I only wish I could describe it better.:)

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Prayer is communicating with God.

If you communicate with someone You come to understand one another.
The more you pray, the more you find you know God's wishes.
God does not interfere in our lives,
He is like a good friend, always around when needed.
He Gives strength, guidance, hope and understanding.
You do not need to ask, if it is his wish, it will happen.

If you think the reason to pray is for personal gain, forget it...it will not work.
If you ask for strength and guidance to help others you will find the way.

Terry__________________
Blessed are the gentle, they shall inherit the land