• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Set would not be "God"

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
In my understanding, the Lord of Darkness, known to us Setians as the Egyptian god or Neter Set, is the Ageless Intelligence of this Universe, the Highest of Life who with the force of His/Its own mind and will could recreate the Cosmos and become in essence the new "God"/Order of the Cosmos. Set, however, is the First Principle of Isolate Intelligence, the supreme manifestation of the Prince "First" of Darkness, and the spiritual essence of singular identity and independent psyche centric awareness, unique conscious existence.

Hence, if Set were to become "God", if Set were to displace the Cosmic Inertia, He/It should be forced to become a new measure of consistency. Set would cease to be One, for He/It should become All. And so by creating others of the Black Flame, i.e. mankind, Set canceled the imbalance leaving a Void in which true creation could take form not just as Set but also as the individual minds and wills of the Kindred of the Black Flame. Hence, Set would remain One, singular, and not the All responsible for the re-creation of the Cosmos, i.e. the new "God", the new Cosmic Order of things. Set does not seek to be the omnipresent manifestation of all things; but rather exalts and nurtures the singular presence of His own unique Mind and Will.

Last edited:

mystic64

nolonger active
In my understanding, the Lord of Darkness, known to us Setians as the Egyptian god or Neter Set, is the Ageless Intelligence of this Universe, the Highest of Life who with the force of His/Its own mind and will could recreate the Cosmos and become in essence the new "God"/Order of the Cosmos. Set, however, is the First Principle of Isolate Intelligence, the supreme manifestation of the Prince "First" of Darkness, and the spiritual essence of singular identity and independent psyche centric awareness, unique conscious existence.

Hence, if Set were to become "God", if Set were to displace the Cosmic Inertia, He/It should be forced to become a new measure of consistency. Set would cease to be One, for He/It should become All. And so by creating others of the Black Flame, i.e. mankind, Set canceled the imbalance leaving a Void in which true creation could take form not just as Set but also as the individual minds and wills of the Kindred of the Black Flame. Hence, Set would remain One, singular, and not the All responsible for the re-creation of the Cosmos, i.e. the new "God", the new Cosmic Order of things. Set does not seek to be the omnipresent manifestation of all things; but rather exalts and nurtures the singular presence of His own unique Mind and Will.

Ok Adramelek, I think that I am starting to get a feel for the/your Setian concepts. What you seem to be saying is that Set is chaos that is not against order. A totally independent mind that is not limited by order could be considered chaos by those that are limited by order. And the God the Creator by definition would be limited by order and against those things that are a threat to the order that "It" has created. Because Set is not against order there is not any conflict between Set and the God the Creator except for this gift of the Black Flame which created the possibility of individuals bringing chaos into order as individuals should they choose to. And because of Set's gift of the Black Flame everyone has the oportunity to become a "spiritual essence of singular identity and independent psyche centric awarness and have a unique conscious existence." With the understanding that this is not possible to achieve within the ordered relm of the God the Creator.

I as a mystic have explored the mind reality of the entity Set that you seem to be attempting to explain. I didn't know his name, but I do know and understand who Set is and the mind reality that he creates as a unique experience. My mind essence lives in chaos with the possibilities of minimal order and deep in the "unknown" of the Black Flame. And I have always been a follower of the Left Hand Path without even realizing it :) . Who knew! The conflict that this has created in my present life experience has been at times a bit overwhelming. But now that I am in my twilight years, so to speak, I have achieved a peace with this conflict. Because participating in a positive way in the order of the creation of the God the Creator and establishing a relationship with the God the Creator has become something fun to do. And the key that I found that creates this new mind set and actions is the universal binding energy of "Love". Being able to feel and share the love that the God the Creator feels for "Its" creation and the love that others feel for their creations within the creation that the God the Creator has created. Technically I do not fit in the ordered reality of the God the Creator, but as long as I am loving and I don't be too disruptive/creative, nobody really minds and I get to experience the best of two worlds. The world of Set/a unique conscious existence and the worlds of the God the Creator.

One walking in the midst of the creation of the All that the new God has created through the universal binding energy of "Love".

Daelach

Setian
Well, of course it doesn't make sense to put the "God" term as understood by Abrahamitic monotheism on Set who is part of a polytheistic pantheon.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth

I have wondered if within your spiritual/ religious system you Setians believe the god Set has achieved hyperapotheosis, thus ascending to Supreme God of the pantheon, as Marduk did after defeating the monstrous embodiment of primordial Chaos- Tiamat- and obtaining the Tablet of Destinies. Among Setians... has Set achieved the rank of Supreme God among other gods within your pantheon? Is there also or instead some sort of spiritual/ religious syncretism between Set and various other gods, such as Ahriman or even Tiamat?

Daelach

Setian
I have wondered if within your spiritual/ religious system you Setians believe the god Set has achieved hyperapotheosis, thus ascending to Supreme God of the pantheon
No, not for me.​
as Marduk did after defeating the monstrous embodiment of primordial Chaos- Tiamat
Set lost the battle of Edfu, after all, so the victorious road to overgodhood was kind of blocked. Even before, Set wasn't the leading one of the pantheon, that was Ra.
Among Setians... has Set achieved the rank of Supreme God among other gods within your pantheon?
No, not for me. It's just that I don't work with the others.
Is there also or instead some sort of spiritual/ religious syncretism between Set and various other gods, such as Ahriman or even Tiamat?
No, at least not intentionally.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
I have wondered if within your spiritual/ religious system you Setians believe the god Set has achieved hyperapotheosis, thus ascending to Supreme God of the pantheon, as Marduk did after defeating the monstrous embodiment of primordial Chaos- Tiamat- and obtaining the Tablet of Destinies. Among Setians... has Set achieved the rank of Supreme God among other gods within your pantheon? Is there also or instead some sort of spiritual/ religious syncretism between Set and various other gods, such as Ahriman or even Tiamat?

I refer you to my OP. However, in Kemeticism, Set was originally the god of Upper Egypt and of the Sky by Night and Horus was the god of Lower Egypt and of the Sky by Day. They were twin gods, here depicted Uniting the Two Lands - Set on the right facing left, and Horus on the left facing right:

a0eea4ef14c6636e9a8751710c05feab.jpg

Also, originally Set was the defender of the Boat of Khepera, god of the Dawning Sun and of Self Creation, from the Serpent fiend Apep, who every morning would attempt to devour the Boat of Khepera, but Apep was always thwarted by the spear of Set. Interestingly, during the late kingdom of Egyptian mythology Set was depicted as evil and fiendish by the rising cult of the death-god Osiris.

Last edited:

Daelach

Setian
"Uniting" the lands is a bit euphemistic. Lower Egypt conquered Upper Egypt (reflects in that Set as the Lord of Upper Egypt was beaten, not made an ally). No wonder since Lower Egypt had the economic advantage of the fertile Nile delta, and fertile lands are the economic basis of an agricultural society. More economy means bigger armed forces.

The boat was the barque of Ra, not of Khepra. Horus isn't Set's twin since Horus is the son of Osiris and Isis, brother and sister of Set; so technically, Set is Horus' uncle. Even in terms of mentality, Set and Horus are hardly similar. Both are warriors, but Horus is the samurai and Set the ninja, so to say. Or in terms of role play games, paladin and assissin.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
"Uniting" the lands is a bit euphemistic. Lower Egypt conquered Upper Egypt (reflects in that Set as the Lord of Upper Egypt was beaten, not made an ally). No wonder since Lower Egypt had the economic advantage of the fertile Nile delta, and fertile lands are the economic basis of an agricultural society. More economy means bigger armed forces.

The boat was the barque of Ra, not of Khepra. Horus isn't Set's twin since Horus is the son of Osiris and Isis, brother and sister of Set; so technically, Set is Horus' uncle. Even in terms of mentality, Set and Horus are hardly similar. Both are warriors, but Horus is the samurai and Set the ninja, so to say. Or in terms of role play games, paladin and assissin.

I could debate you all day long on this. It was the Boat of Khepera and/or Ra as the mythos often depicted the particular god with either the head of a scarab beetle (Khepera) or that of a falcon crowned with a sun orb surmounted by a cobra (Ra), with Set slaying the Apep serpent (below).

clip_image007.jpg

And Set and Horus were twin gods or equals in the early mythos (I will not waste my time arguing semantics) and often depicted as a single god with both the faces of Set and Horus. The "Uniting of the Two Lands" may be a bit euphemistic. During the long reign of Seti I and II and the Ramessites II-IV, whose patron god was Set, the two kingdoms were united which is why the kings and the two gods were often depicted wearing the double crown of Upper Egypt (red) and of Lower Egypt (white).

red-white-pschent.jpg

It is also Setian Black Magickal symbolism; infusing/uniting the subject universe with the objective universe. Let's just agree that we both have our own individual understandings and perceptions of Egyptian mythology and history.

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
A depiction of Set wearing the double crown (Pshent) of united Khem.

set_nephthys.jpg

And boy is my face ever Setian red. In refreshing my knowledge of Egyptian history, Set was the god of Lower Egypt (red crown Deshret) and Horus the god of Upper Egypt (white crown Hedjet). I was reminded of this when I recalled that Ramesses II, during his reign, moved the capital of Egypt to the city of Tanis in the Nile Delta close to the Mediterranean Sea. Source(s): E.A. Wallis Budge 'The Gods of the Egyptians', misc.

map-lower-egypt-a.jpg

Last edited: