• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Science Cannot Be Trusted And Should Be Ignored By All Thinking Folks

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Science cannot be trusted and should be ignored by all thinking folks because it very, very often contradicts what my babysitter told me was true when I was six years old. I had a crush on my babysitter and know she never lied to me. On the other hand, no scientist I know of ever gave me chocolate milk at nap time. Ergo, scientists are not as reliable as my babysitter when it comes to telling things like they are.

Also, my babysitter was the first to tell me things. If the scientists are right, how come they weren't the ones to tell me first? See what I mean? You can't trust science.

Random

If the scientists are right, how come they weren't the ones to tell me first? You can't trust science.

It's a pity this isn't treated like a serious issue, it should be. Babysitters aside, this last question and statement above deserves to be debated as they raise valid concerns.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
On the whole, science is far more trustworthy than idle speculation or neurotic introspection, don't you think?

Random

On the whole, science is far more trustworthy than idle speculation or neurotic introspection, don't you think?

Oh, better than those two, for sure. What isn't better than idle speculation and "neurotic introspection", hmm?

On the other hand, if you think science is better than thinking critically for yourself, the "experts" will exploit your willful ignorance and gullibility, and frequently do so. Especially if there is a juicy research grant or substantial payoff from government or big business at the end of it for them, y'see...

That's reality, as they'd insist themselves (in private, of course...)

djrez4

Swollen Member
Oh, better than those two, for sure. What isn't better than idle speculation and "neurotic introspection", hmm?

On the other hand, if you think science is better than thinking critically for yourself, the "experts" will exploit your willful ignorance and gullibility, and frequently do so. Especially if there is a juicy research grant or substantial payoff from government or big business at the end of it for them, y'see...

That's reality, as they'd insist themselves (in private, of course...)

Meh, I don't have time to think critically about the universe for myself. I let the scientists do that. If there were 48 hours in a day, perhaps I'd build myself a supercollider and have some fun.

As for exploiting willful ignorance and gullibility.... *cough*religion*cough*

Somkid

I don't know if I can agree with you because my mother was a biologist doing scientific research and she was really nice to me, not only did she give me chocolate milk at nap time but she served me my first illegal drink as well as my first legal drink twice, she took me to Canada when I was 19 so I could get a beer and again she bought me a drink in the USA when I was 21 so my MOM is right not your baby sitter.

logician

I will play devil's advocate a little here and say that though science in general can be trusted, there are well know cases where it couldn't. For years science pushed the idea that dinosaurs were cold-blooded, simply because they didn't want to believe that dinosaur physiology was equal to or superior to mammalian. Fossil evidence to the contrary was ignored for decades, until finally people like Robert Bakker came along and challenged the orthodoxy. We now know that many dinosaurs must have been warm blooded.

This only goes to show that science can itself be influenced by prejudice and traditional thinking.
I still will take the scientific method over any other as the right way to find the truth, however.

Yerda

Veteran Member
On the other hand, if you think science is better than thinking critically for yourself, the "experts" will exploit your willful ignorance and gullibility, and frequently do so.
Let's be honest here, lovers of science tend to value critical thinking. Do you disagree?