• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why reject christianity

syo

why many people reject christianity? is there a problem with the teachings and messages? the crucifixion of christ means nothing to them? don't they like a religion based on love? many people want proof. but, if there was proof, ''believing'' would be an one-way street and faith would be pointless. if there was undeniable proof, how would we choose christ as our saviour?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
why many people reject christianity? is there a problem with the teachings and messages? the crucifixion of christ means nothing to them? don't they like a religion based on love? many people want proof. but, if there was proof, ''believing'' would be an one-way street and faith would be pointless. if there was undeniable proof, how would we choose christ as our saviour?
Love is simple, but the details are complicated. In my opinion Christianity is rejected when it becomes brittle, too inflexible to allow multiple points of view. Brittle Christianity results in the rise of political power in its membership, and whoever has the strongest argument gains influence while whoever starts the argument also benefits. Everyone else loses. One person says the others are wrong, deluded and so forth. There is no trust that God will guide the other people. When Christians become concerned about who is right about what, that is when cracks develop in the love that holds everything together. There is a very long term war inside of Christianity between love and this tendency to clamp down on truth.

Rational Agnostic

Well, to quote Dawkins, because of evidence.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

The crucifixion paints God as being a rather unjust and a little insane. It makes no sense when one thinks about it.

syo

Love is simple, but the details are complicated. In my opinion Christianity is rejected when it becomes brittle, too inflexible to allow multiple points of view. Brittle Christianity results in the rise of political power in its membership, and whoever has the strongest argument gains influence while whoever starts the argument also benefits. Everyone else loses. One person says the others are wrong, deluded and so forth. There is no trust that God will guide the other people. When Christians become concerned about who is right about what, that is when cracks develop in the love that holds everything together. There is a very long term war inside of Christianity between love and this tendency to clamp down on truth.
that is absolutely true.

socharlie

the first step is being sure that "invisible" - spiritual world - is real - Paul call it "faith".

Reactions: syo

syo

So God is not omniscient?
god is omniscient. the human part of christ isn't omniscient. when the Son* became human, his human side was forced to live the pain to gain knowledge. Jesus was perfect god and perfect human. his human side had to learn like a simple human.

*i'm a trinitarian, i believe the father son and holy spirit are the holy trinity.

socharlie

the first step is being sure that "invisible" - spiritual world - is real - Paul call it "faith".
only atheism denies Christ, all others just have different terminology for the spark of God presence within and that only way to God is through that spark.

joe1776

About love...

The founders of Christianity didn't understand that genuine love is always unconditional. They created a god who would love us on the condition that we accept the doctrine offered. If we didn't, we were threatened with Hell. Christianity can't teach love because it can't teach what it doesn't understand.

syo

About love...

The founders of Christianity didn't understand that genuine love is always unconditional. They created a god who would love us on the condition that we accept the doctrine offered. If we didn't, we were threatened with Hell. Christianity can't teach love because it can't teach what it doesn't understand.
that's the sad truth, i'm afraid. bigotry is a problem.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member

I am curious how you or anyone can actually choose to believe something. I cannot fool myself so easily.

Some of the "messages" in the bible are pretty good,
and generally are the moral values etc that I was raised with, by an atheist mother in a non-christian society.

The "crucifixion" was an atrocity, among the countless ones committed by Rome. They evidently killed him as a revolutionary. It has nothing to do with me.

"Dont LIKE as religion based on love"? What a completely weird question. it is not even wrong.

"Proof" is not the issue. Maybe it is for some dimbulbs.

Disproof, tho, is. At least AN issue. Take the story of Noahs ark. Total fabrication, didnt happen.

T ell a whopper like that in court, and see if something about lack of credibility comes up.

The whole freakin' story, from first to last, is no more believable than is the story of Joseph Smith and his
gold books on which the Book of Mormon was written.

But, lotsa folk believe it. Why do you choose not to?