• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "one God"?

osamaalvi

Once you know the definition of God and the purpose why you are worshiping a God, then you will realize that there is only one God.

Definition:
Say, "He is One,
God , the Eternal Refuge.
He neither begets nor is born,
Nor is there to Him any equivalent."

If you not accept this definition then everything in this universe becomes God, Shapes, Man, Animals etc

God is everything. He is both the manifest and unmanifest. There can only be one everything.

Entirely self aware he is self considerate and thus loves everyone and provides abundantly from the world to nourish them and give them opportunity and joy.

God thus hates adultery because it is the fruitless using of him without giving him appreciation. Adultery not only is, but creates, and supports neglectful relationships.

Atheism is abhorred because it justifies all political corruptness, which is the neglect of Gods favored behaviours of communal unity.

God is everything, that does and does not exist, There can only be one, and he cannot be known, thus his image has been provided.

mystic64

nolonger active
There is only "ONE GOD".

why did you accept it? How does this make sense? What are its properties? (volume, weight, mass etc,). What was/is its necessity?

Please post your comments.
Thanking you

Yours is a good question :) . The Christian bible does not say that there is only one God. It just says that, "you will have no other god before you." If you are Jewish, Christian, or Muslem, then you worship the Jewish god, which they consider, eterenal, the Creator of all things, and the most powerful of all gods. Moses back in the day made a covenient with this Jewish god and a part of that covenient was that the Jewish people will worship "no" other god. Christians and Muslems both continue to follow that part of this covenient and today worship this same God and no other. There are other gods, it is just that if you agree to be Jewish, Christian, or Muslem and you worship any of those other gods you will be thumped :) by the God that Mose's covenient was made with. From the Christian and Muslem standpoint you may be thumped anyway if you do not worship that God. But, the jury is still out on that and a lot of folks are still waiting to see what really happens.

Is there only one god? Absolutely not. You always have a choice to worship any god that you wish to as long as you have never declared yourself of the Jewish, Christian, or Muslem faith. If you have declared yourself of one of these faiths and you worship any other god, you will be thumped :) . This is because the God of those faiths is a very jealous God who is not to be taken lightly.

truth4u

While the apostle Paul writes that there are many gods in 1 Cor. 8:5-6, Jesus explains that his Father is "the only true God" in John 17:3. The reason for the designation "the only true God" is due to the fact that the Father is the only God/god who has no beginning, nor any end, and who is the origin of all spirit beings and human beings, as well as, the universe. The Father does indeed have some chosen "gods" under him, since he is called "the God of gods." Deut. 10:17 But, these angelic or human gods all have a beginning and their authority is under, not equal to nor above, the Father. Psalm 8:5; 82:1-7; John 10:34-36

Sihopopa

Yes, but what makes people believe there's only one god? There isn't just one of anything in the universe we know of. Plurality seems to be the rule.
At the same time (unless I'm misinterpreting you) everything in the universe is 'ONE' - yourself for instance.

So now please; explain how there is a second you?

Sihopopa

Moses back in the day made a covenient with this Jewish god and a part of that covenient was that the Jewish people will worship "no" other god. Christians and Muslems both continue to follow that part of this covenient and today worship this same God and no other. There are other gods, it is just that if you agree to be Jewish, Christian, or Muslem and you worship any of those other gods you will be thumped :) by the God that Mose's covenient was made with. From the Christian and Muslem standpoint you may be thumped anyway if you do not worship that God. But, the jury is still out on that and a lot of folks are still waiting to see what really happens.

Is there only one god? Absolutely not. You always have a choice to worship any god that you wish to as long as you have never declared yourself of the Jewish, Christian, or Muslem faith. If you have declared yourself of one of these faiths and you worship any other god, you will be thumped :) . This is because the God of those faiths is a very jealous God who is not to be taken lightly.
Please Mystic 64, I'm having a little trouble with this convenient you mention. So what the heck is a convenient? Also what is the purpose of a convenient? And finally; precisely how does this convenient work?

Last edited:

morphesium

Yours is a good question :) . The Christian bible does not say that there is only one God. It just says that, "you will have no other god before you." If you are Jewish, Christian, or Muslem, then you worship the Jewish god, which they consider, eterenal, the Creator of all things, and the most powerful of all gods. Moses back in the day made a covenient with this Jewish god and a part of that covenient was that the Jewish people will worship "no" other god. Christians and Muslems both continue to follow that part of this covenient and today worship this same God and no other. There are other gods, it is just that if you agree to be Jewish, Christian, or Muslem and you worship any of those other gods you will be thumped :) by the God that Mose's covenient was made with. From the Christian and Muslem standpoint you may be thumped anyway if you do not worship that God. But, the jury is still out on that and a lot of folks are still waiting to see what really happens.

Thank you for your reply. Obviously, I agree with some and disagree with the other if not it is a joke:grinning::grin::smilecat:.
These were according to various religions and holy texts - and all of these contain many statements that are irrational, illogical and other statements that are scientifically unacceptable; proving that these are not god sent.

The reason why the thread was titled so was this - we don't know any of the physical property of God; its mass, volume, weight, density etc. To say there is one god, one has to agree that god has an inherent mathematical property which enables one to count God. We cant count water, space etc. (I am not saying that there is some God or little/more God; just saying that we don't know the mathematical property of God). So just saying God exists is more sensible than saying there is "one God".

as you have quoted, if there is no reference to "one God" in bible, then surely it is not a monotheistic religion as Islam.

mystic64

nolonger active
Please Mystic 64, I'm having a little trouble with this convenient you mention. So what the heck is a convenient? Also what is the purpose of a convenient? And finally; precisely how does this convenient work?

Canaan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally durring the time of Abraham the Hebrews were a part of the Canaanite group of people and they worshipped the Canaanite gods. The supreme god was El the creator and father of all. And there is a strong possibility that Abraham worshipped El with the understanding that nobody really knows for sure. It is known though that the Hebrews did worship more that one god at that time. When Moses went up on the mountain to talk to the god that was on that mountain who was also the god that he was working for that helped the Hebrews out of Egypt, Moses made an agreement (convenient) with that god that resulted in the Ten Comandments. The first being, "Thou shall have no other god before you." The god that Moses made the agreement was a god that was called Yahwey (YHV/WH). Who as far as anybody can tell was not actually a Canaanite god. And the agreement was that YHV/WH would protect Moses and his people if they agreed to worship no other god or idols of any god. And of course Moses was up to his tush in trouble when he came back with that agreement. His following split in two and those that went with that agreement and Moses killed those that did not. From that time on the Hebrews people, who became the Jewish people, worshipped only the God YHV/WH. Which is also the same God that the Christians and Muslems worship. Except that the Muslems worship the God of Abraham and the God of Abraham may not be the same one as the God of Moses. The jury is still out on that one.

mystic64

nolonger active
Thank you for your reply. Obviously, I agree with some and disagree with the other if not it is a joke:grinning::grin::smilecat:.
These were according to various religions and holy texts - and all of these contain many statements that are irrational, illogical and other statements that are scientifically unacceptable; proving that these are not god sent.

The reason why the thread was titled so was this - we don't know any of the physical property of God; its mass, volume, weight, density etc. To say there is one god, one has to agree that god has an inherent mathematical property which enables one to count God. We cant count water, space etc. (I am not saying that there is some God or little/more God; just saying that we don't know the mathematical property of God). So just saying God exists is more sensible than saying there is "one God".

as you have quoted, if there is no reference to "one God" in bible, then surely it is not a monotheistic religion as Islam.

I agree with you morphesium :) ! And no joke was intended if we disagree on some things. The one God concept comes from, "Thou shall have no other god before you." Therefore if there is only one God before you, then there is only one God. From there the question becomes, "Can that God truely exist?" And from there the question, "Can any god truely exist?" Because there is no scientific evidence to support the existance of God or any god. This is atleast, relative to today's world. I mean, after all, if someone does comes along and walks on water and does other unexplainable things and they claim that they can do these things because of a god as was done in the past, then things may have to be rethought :) .

Why "one" God?' Because Christians and Muslems claim that there is only one God. And this is with the understanding that their God will "thump" them if they were to attempt to worship any other god. And based on my experience with that God, they are not wrong about that. He will. Which is ok with me, because as far as I am concerned I do not want to worship any other god anyway.

Shad

Veteran Member
One argument is based on the "greatest being" and "perfect being" concepts of some religions. If god(s) are greatest, and perfect, being(s) possible then a second god would be a mirror image of the first. We would be unable to differentiate between two or more entities with the above attributes. If one god, A, was less loving then A is less than perfect which would put below B given the previous concepts. Also one could look at natural laws as prescriptive rather than descriptive to form a concept of universal uniformity. If there were two being that are different yet equal taking part in creation one could speculate that natural laws would conflict in a locale or being completely different. For example gravity in one area would be as it is now. In another area there could be not such force as known as gravity.

Sorry if I am repeating ideas already presented, I didn't read all 16 pages. I just noted that a lot of posts I skimmed were heavily based on scripture. So I opted for arguments which can be used with a minimal amount of scripture.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
the religions of the world believe in many gods... millions even.
And yet the Bible continually references 'false' gods. Hmm, that's strange, if there were so many gods then some must have been worthy of worship alongside the main Deity. Heck, even Jesus is called the same title as the father, and that would only be two gods!
My point is, if someone asks the question, 'why only one god', my question is 'how many gods then'?
Makes sense to me..

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
And yet the Bible continually references 'false' gods. Hmm, that's strange, if there were so many gods then some must have been worthy of worship alongside the main Deity. Heck, even Jesus is called the same title as the father, and that would only be two gods!
My point is, if someone asks the question, 'why only one god', my question is 'how many gods then'?
Makes sense to me..

I originally thought the question was about the 'oneness' of God

And i guess the bible says 'our God is one Jehovah' because at the time, the gods of the nations were triune gods... the egyptians had a triune god, the hindu religion had triune god, the babylonians and others had triune gods too. So the Hebrews made an interesting point of declaring the 'oneness' of Jehovah...that there were no other gods beside him.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I originally thought the question was about the 'oneness' of God

And i guess the bible says 'our God is one Jehovah' because at the time, the gods of the nations were triune gods... the egyptians had a triune god, the hindu religion had triune god, the babylonians and others had triune gods too. So the Hebrews made an interesting point of declaring the 'oneness' of Jehovah...that there were no other gods beside him.
'Monotheism' is the worship of one God. The 'existence' to whatever extent of other deities is irrelevant as far as I can tell. There doesn't seem to be an effort in Scripture to 'overemphasize' this fact, it's a given, and in fact that's why I'm a monotheist, as I assume you are as well.
The OP doesn't really make it clear if what is being referred to is the plain 'existence' of other deities, or the worship of just one Deity.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
'Monotheism' is the worship of one God. The 'existence' to whatever extent of other deities is irrelevant as far as I can tell. There doesn't seem to be an effort in Scripture to 'overemphasize' this fact, it's a given, and in fact that's why I'm a monotheist, as I assume you are as well.
The OP doesn't really make it clear if what is being referred to is the plain 'existence' of other deities, or the worship of just one Deity.

i agree, it wasnt clear to me either.

morphesium

I have gone through the video for the first five minutes or so (and i can't stand anymore than this)- and i tell you he knows nothing about genetics. How can a man explain something if he knows nothing about it? that was what happened here. Utter stupidity.

[/QUOTE]

If you are asking me to consider the Quraan as an external book, please do consider the Quraan as an internal book and ask yourself same question also.
Imagine you are in front of God and God is asking you " Why you chose not to look at the Quraan and study Islam to know if it is truly what I sent"
Best regards[/QUOTE]
How can you say Quraan as an internal book- were you born with this knowledge? NO. its knowledge came to you through the outside world. maybe from your parents or others. But that is not the case with morale and other virtues.
were you born with morale -Yes. This is what came along with your birth. when i wrote about this, i didn't want you to follow me or something else, i told you to follow what's according to your morale, not according to your religion.

Earlier, you said that Islam should not hold one back - but when it came to evolution, you were telling or believing something that is not acceptable to science. Religion is holding you back. you just need to realize it.

Sabour

I have gone through the video for the first five minutes or so (and i can't stand anymore than this)- and i tell you he knows nothing about genetics. How can a man explain something if he knows nothing about it? that was what happened here. Utter stupidity.

If you are asking me to consider the Quraan as an external book, please do consider the Quraan as an internal book and ask yourself same question also.
Imagine you are in front of God and God is asking you " Why you chose not to look at the Quraan and study Islam to know if it is truly what I sent"
Best regards[/QUOTE]
How can you say Quraan as an internal book- were you born with this knowledge? NO. its knowledge came to you through the outside world. maybe from your parents or others. But that is not the case with morale and other virtues.
were you born with morale -Yes. This is what came along with your birth. when i wrote about this, i didn't want you to follow me or something else, i told you to follow what's according to your morale, not according to your religion.

Earlier, you said that Islam should not hold one back - but when it came to evolution, you were telling or believing something that is not acceptable to science. Religion is holding you back. you just need to realize it.[/QUOTE]

When it comes to evolution, it is not just because of Islam I don't accept evolution, logically there are many things I can't accept about evolution one of which is that we came from apes.

However this is not our topic, what you are suggesting is not logical. Again let me remind you that there were people living in jungles and they had to fight for their lives. Where are the morals you are talking about for those people?

You are suggesting the internal and external thing and seem to say that the truth must be born with the person, what if it wasn't? what is your proof?

If that was the case than I will tell you again that we wouldn't have seen many people lacking morals in the first place.

I think it depends on what religion we believe in.

For example Atheists don't believe in any religion hence they don't believe in any God./Gods.

For the religion which i believe in is saying that God is only one and that his reality isn't the same as ours and hence nothing that we know can be comparable to him, so simply describing him will be a matter of guessing.

When atheists are facing immediate death or some terrible thing don't they call upon God?
There was one atheist philosopher who was a professor at a famous US university. He was asked a question at a seminar about a famous person and he had to think hard. As he was struggling to think of an answer, he said: "O my god...how could I have forgotten such a famous name?." It just goes to show that atheists are really in thier hearts not atheists. Somebody said truthfully: "There are no atheists in foxholes." It means when death is imminent all atheists become theists. Someone else said this: Atheists get converted to theists on the way down. (way down to hell, that is).