• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why No Major Western Religions?

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
And oral traditions have less reach and are prone to sink into oblivion.
Perhaps that is generally true. After the Buddha died (circa 400 - 500 BCE), the teachings were passed on orally by monastics, as was normal in that culture at the time. The earliest surviving written texts date from between (approximately) 100 BCE to 300 CE.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The problem with the history books is that they are written by the winners (and, especially in this case, those who had writing at all). So, all we know about the Kelts is from Roman authors.
There's a really good book I have called Pagan Britain, by Ronald Hutton. It obviously only touches Britain but it goes right back to the Palaeolithic Age. I would recommend it; I'm still reading it.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
The problem with the history books is that they are written by the winners (and, especially in this case, those who had writing at all). So, all we know about the Kelts is from Roman authors.
You are largely correct. But we also have archeology. This is, for example, how we know they offered human sacrifices.

☆Dreamwind☆

Kay and? People back then, weren't exactly sweet and gentle angels who lived in peace most of the time. They did bad things back then too, just as they do now. Such as warred, enslaved, tortured, raped, plundered and killed. Some of those things were certainly in the name of religion. No sense in claiming it may not have happened when there is plenty of physical evidence, and tales passed down through generations via spoken and written accounts. Not to mention some abhorrent ancient practices and attitudes still survive today.

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
You are largely correct. But we also have archeology. This is, for example, how we know they offered human sacrifices.
Do we though? There is still a discussion about multiple bog people, if the evidence hints at a ritual sacrifice, a crime or a form of capital punishment. And that is only for those who had evidence of violence. Without that, it might have been a simple misstep.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Do we though? There is still a discussion about multiple bog people, if the evidence hints at a ritual sacrifice, a crime or a form of capital punishment. And that is only for those who had evidence of violence. Without that, it might have been a simple misstep.
I just go with the consensus of scholars. They have done the archeology, and they say they have ample evidence of human sacrifice. That's good enough for me.